[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roasting a goose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: podborka_64[1].jpg (57 KB, 700x506) Image search: [Google]
podborka_64[1].jpg
57 KB, 700x506
I told everyone I'm doing the bird for Thanksgiving this year. This will be my first time doing so, and genius that I am, decided to order a goose. Apparently, these things are difficult to roast. Google gives me conflicting reports. Any advice /ck/ can give me so that this thing isn't a complete disaster?

I was thinking of brining it first and going with a creole style stuffing with cornbread and andouille. Any flaws there?
>>
>>7091308
>brining a roasting goose

:/
>>
>>7091325
This is why I'm asking, dude! Nix the brining?
>>
OP, the biggest thing to know when cooking geese is that they're VERY fatty birds. As previous anon says there's no sense in brining a goose because there is so much fat that the meat is going to be moist no matter what you do, no brining required. On the other hand, the fat is what makes roasting a goose a challenge - you need to be fairly aggressive about trimming the goose before roasting, be certain you're scoring the skin very well so most the fat can drain off during cooking, and you'll also need to keep the fat from burning in the oven.

I have three suggestions for you:

1. you should roast the goose on its own without doing anything fancy to/inside it - make the stuffing in a separate dish you can control exactly how much fat goes into it.
2. Make a sauce to accompany the goose meat that's tangy, acidic, and a little sweet - this will cut through an overwhelmingly fatty flavor (something citrus based, or with cherries or other tart fruit)
3. Beware that a goose does not yield very much meat after cooking (figure that a ten pound goose will give you two pounds of meat after cooking - that's about 8 'typical' servings, not feast portion sizes), so plan ahead incase you need to have a turkey/ham/beef ready to serve alongside your goose (or maybe save the goose until Christmas if it comes frozen).
>>
>>7091412
>a ten pound goose will give you two pounds of meat after cooking
MOTHERFUCK!
>>
>got drunk and shot a goose with a pellet gun at the pond once
>cooked it
>so fucking disgusting I ate one bike and threw it out

Never ever again
>>
>>7091308
Do your family a favor and get a Turkey before you fuck up thanksgiving cus "le I'm different"
>>
>>7091643
People used to cook goose all the time, don't be a faggot. Just pick up a turkey, and test out the goose in a trial run.
>>
>>7091659
Nobody is being a faggot here but you. OP has never roasted a goose and nor has the slightest direction to go about it. I'm simply suggesting him to go for a simpler bird for his first bird. He can do the goose another any other day but Thanksgiving
>>
>>7091685
I've already ordered the goose and I'm going through with it, but in light of >>7091442
I think my in-laws will be simultaneously cooking a traditional turkey as well to hedge our bets. It sounds like we'll have room on the table for both, and as we live two minutes from them, we have the use of both stoves/ranges. Also, I don't think you're a faggot. You're right. I suffer from a bad case of
>"le I'm different"
in lots of stuff. It's a fucking curse most times.
>>
milk soak
>>
>>7091815
milk soak?
>>
>>7091631
Yeah, the wheels are notoriously tough if you don't prepare them correctly while the handlebars are completely inedible. 0/10 meal, that.

>>7091442
It's a bit of an exaggeration. That would be yield of [the live weight of most species of goose], no?

For example, I know that the lesser snow goose weighs about 3kg (6,5lbs or so) and yields about a 1,5kg dressed carcass (around 3,25lbs) which in turn yields roughly 750g of meat (1,6lbs, give or take). I find it highly unlikely that any species of goose would have such an abysmally low EPR as 10% (I'm guessing at its live weight according to its 10lb dressed weight), when lesser snow geese have well over double that amount at 25%.

Yes, they're fatty birds, but that fat is delicious.

>>7091308
Way late here, but I'll give ya some of what I know in the hopes it helps.

Anyway, depending on the species (which affects its diet), the flavour can vary considerably. In my country, fishy-tasting species are roasted simply with salt and pepper and eaten with fries and sautéed spinach and a confit of bell peppers while more ducky-tasting species are typically cooked with a sweet glaze and stuffed with parboiled green apples and served with butter-sautéed beetroot, sauerkraut and oven-roasted potatoes. Typically, before glazing the goose, fatty trimmings are rendered of their grease and used as the roasting fat for the potatoes for maximum delicious.

I would not recommend that you stuff a goose with anything as absorbent as bread or rice, so nix the stuffing.
>>
>>7092351
>I would not recommend that you stuff a goose with anything as absorbent as bread or rice
I'm seeing some suggestions online that I use fruit in the cavity. Anyone have experience roasting poultry with fruit?
>>
>>7092798
How about apples? As suggested in that fucking post?
>>
>>7094468
Sorry. I derped.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.