[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Chicken more popular than Turkey? Turkey is so much tastier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: blog_chicken_vs_turkey.jpg (48 KB, 400x223) Image search: [Google]
blog_chicken_vs_turkey.jpg
48 KB, 400x223
Why is Chicken more popular than Turkey?

Turkey is so much tastier it's not even funny.
>>
chicken is better
>>
>>7090501
Chickens were easier for people to raise and kill at home, so people got used to eating a lot of chicken. When modern intensive farming came around people chose what they always ate and kept turkeys for two days a year. Chickens lay more eggs than turkeys too.
>>
> canada
> chicken breast $11/kg
> Turkey breast $31/kg
Nah m8
>>
>>7090518
That's because chicken is raised more than Turkeys. If Turkeys were raised more it'd be cheaper. Op is asking why chicken is more popular, which obviously led to chicken being more widely used and sold, which leads it to be cheaper.
>>
>>7090518
Dude, your chicken breasts costs almost 3x as much than in the States.
>>
Turkeys formed a union and they demand higher pay for their bodies.
>>
>>7090535
a lot of food costs more in Canada

higher distribution costs + protectionist economic policies + more stringent quality standards

it sucks but we deal
>>
>>7090518
Just buy and cook whole turkeys comes out to about the same as chicken at least where I am.
>>
>>7090501
Are you saying that if it was only a little better tasting it would be funny?
>>
I'm probably just a terrible cook and I associate with other terrible cooks, but from my experience, I find that turkey is a lot more susceptible to drying out from cooking.

I've had both juicy and dry chicken, but every turkey I've ever had was dry.
>>
>>7090899
Instead of cooking the turkey whole section it first and cook the white and dark meat separately. You can also brine and smoke instead of roasting.
>>
because you can't make a quick roast dinner with a turkey like you can with chicken, shit takes like 3hrs.
>>
>>7090899
True if not cooked properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5PFXhdfVT8
>>
>>7090501

Good Chicken > Good Turkey

Meh Turkey > Meh Chicken.

Capon beats both if you can get it.
>>
I just find turkey to be vaguely horrid, a bit like pheasent, a bit like partridge, just don't like the taste. I think it's like 'mercans feel about lamb. Never had a good one, sorry.
>>
>>7090948
>capon
>a castrated domestic cock fattened for eating

I'm aroused
>>
Turkey is harder to cook

I agree I love Turkey but so many people cook it dry as fuck it's depressing
>>
>>7090982
Just like chicken.The proportion of americans who eat chicken breast is depressing though you just have to accept it. Americans are the worst cooks in the world. Even their high brow french restaurants are overpriced garbage.
Basically fuck america.
>>
a chicken is easier than a turkey.
>>
>>7090546
"free" healthcare
lol
>>
>>7091030
Congratulations you figured out how public admin works.
>>
>>7090990
what does this thread have to do with American cooking versus everyone else?
>>
>>7090518
Where the hell in Canada do you live? I'm in toronto and chicken breasts are going for $5.45/kg at no frills and $8.45 at loblaws. I usually shop at asian markets and get them for even cheaper.
>>
>>7091043
>he forgot that he was on /ck/
>>
>>7090518
boneless chicken breast in Chile is around 5.6 dollars.
I don't like chicken (other than roasted). Turkey ($9.6) is very dry and should not be a thing
>>
>>7090501
1-chickens are faster to grow and more profitable for industrial food systems. Therefore they ae also more prolific and therefore preferred. Second. Turkey has distinct flavor which is therefore less versatile, especially for processed foods.
>>
chickens go bok bok whereas turkeys go gobble gobble.
>>
>>7091050
Calgary, Superstore/loblaws pricing
>>
>>7091089

hello calgaryfriend

is kinjo's still open
>>
>>7091089
>loblaws pricing
Found the problem.
>>
File: image.jpg (957 KB, 3264x1833) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
957 KB, 3264x1833
>>7090990
here's your reply
>>
>>7090535
1 kg =/= 1 lb
He's saying chicken breast is $5 per pound in Canada (or $11 per kilogram). Still more expensive than where I live, but not 3x as much.
>>
>>7090535
Frozen chicken breast here is like $2.80/lb at the very lowest
>>
File: COOL FROG.png (96 KB, 819x822) Image search: [Google]
COOL FROG.png
96 KB, 819x822
>tfw I can get chicken leg quarters for 48 cents/lb
>>
>>7091203
fucking where, tell me now. and you better not say a military base.

The only place I ever see 50 cents/lb chicken is piggly wigglys in the bad parts of town
>>
>>7091203
ur mum gives me her leg quarters for 48 cents an hour m8
>>
>>7091213
Wal-Mart in northeast(the best region in) Louisiana.

The grocery store in the nig part of town is selling whole turkeys for 49 cents a lb as well.
>>
>>7091155
Idk what the fuck that means. What the hell is a "kg"?

I was just at the super market. Chicken legs were like $0.79 per pound.

Is Canadangistan really paying $5 a pound for chicken.
>>
>>7091278
>What the hell is a "kg"?
Sup Cletus. How's life down the holler? Still holding onto a few of your teeth?
>>
File: 1439222671481.png (125 KB, 310x287) Image search: [Google]
1439222671481.png
125 KB, 310x287
>>7091342
Are you even trying? 1/10
>>
HOW COME I CAN BUY QUAIL EGGS BUT NOT TURKEY EGGS IN THE GROCERY STORE?
>>
>>7091705
There is something seriously wrong with your education if you live in the western world but can't recognise the second most common metric weight unit. He was implying that you're an inbred imbecile from one of the less educated parts of America.
>>
File: breasts.jpg (591 KB, 2062x972) Image search: [Google]
breasts.jpg
591 KB, 2062x972
>>7091093
kinjo is shite

>>7091117
loblaws has the cheapest meats.
>>
>>7091779
>kinjo is shite

what

WHAT

WHERE DO YOU LIVE YOU FAGGOT I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU
>>
>>7091718
because turkeys take up a lot of space to just have them laying eggs for consumption im guessing.
>>
>>7090518
>nz
>turkey is generally around 80 or so buckaroos per kg
>chicken breast is around 7 didgeridoos per kg
it hurts
>>
>>7091719
I am not even the person you originally insulted. I just wanted to point out your failed bait attempt. Get a life mate, you can't win every internet fight because you somehow you feel enlightened by knowing kg stands for kilogram.

Downvoted btw
>>
>>7091278
"kg" is a weight unit that every single person in the world knows. Except you.
>>
>>7091126
Can you imagine what a sad person you have to be to see that box, and deliberately take a picture of it with the intention of posting it on 4chan in response to another poster that you're accusing of trolling?
>>
>>7090546
You got all that land and so few people. Why aren't more niggas making local free range farms?
>>
I'm gonna have to disagree with you OP. Turkey is really good but it isn't as versatile as chicken. You can't sub turkey for chicken in a lot of dishes because it has a stronger flavor.
>>
>>7091917
With the cold winters it's not feasible to have farms just to heat them for 8 months of the year
>>
>dry meat
>harder to prepare
>eggs are shit
>longer to grow
>>
>>7091933
homesteading? owning livestock? animals can handle the cold.
>>
Children don't like turkey nuggers
>>
>>7090535
US chicken is pumped full of antibiotics though. It's actually disgusting. Bought it once in 3 months there when I found more expensive organic/drug free chicken.
>>
>>7091933
You sound like one of those bitches that let's the dog in house during the weather or worse you sleep with your dog. Turkeys can chickens can handle cold weather a lot better than you
>>
File: 1448034348426.gif (80 KB, 170x207) Image search: [Google]
1448034348426.gif
80 KB, 170x207
>>7091804

He said quail eggs, NOT turkey eggs. For whatever that's worth.
>>
>>7090501
That's mainly because most available chicken has all it's flavor bred out.
>>
I had some turkey chow mein once. The turkey was Thanksgiving leftovers.

It wasn't all that good.
>>
>>7090501
This is a god damn lie unless you're talking about as one of the main components of a cold cut sandwich
>>
>>7093889
http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/plans/E5000/5310/M-5310L.pdf
It's the law. Read page 4.
>>
>be Amerifat in the woods

>wild turkeys everywhere

Anything stopping me from killing and cooking one? I imagine they probably taste more gamey than a store bought turk.
>>
>>7095716
>wild turkeys everywhere
>Anything stopping me from killing and cooking one?

Retaliation?
>>
>>7090501
consider that turkey is eaten more than chicken in sandwiches
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.