[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you weren't having turkey, ham, or beef for Thanksgiving,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: alternatives.jpg (12 KB, 300x269) Image search: [Google]
alternatives.jpg
12 KB, 300x269
If you weren't having turkey, ham, or beef for Thanksgiving, what would you have?

Some friends and I are holding our own Thanksgiving on Sunday, and trying to come up with alternative ideas since everyone's already eating traditional stuff later in the week. No pizza.
>>
Roast pork or lamb.
>>
>>7089510

Hmmm. Roast pork with garlic and rosemary could be good! Not sure I could sell everyone on lamb.
>>
>>7089516
Who doesn't like lamb? It's top tier meat
>>
Duck you plebs.
>>
>>7089507
Prime Rib Roast
or
Filipino Food
>>
>>7089525
My sister and brother don't eat lamb because we grew up in a household of over cooked lamb chops.

They don't know the joys of a nice slow cooked shank with meat falling off the bone served with soft flavourful veg.

Point is, it can be fucked up, so its no surprise some people thing lamb = dry shit.
>>
Swan. It's elegant, delicious, and everyone gets a nice piece of neck meat.
>>
Goose or venison.
I saw goose for sale at Acme yesterday, but I'm a cheap sumbitch and $50 is too much for a bird.
>>
>>7089507
Gumbo
Clam Chowder and Crab Legs
>>
>>7089507
I've done seafood before, shrimp, fish and lobster.
>>
Chicken. Not some chain restaurant shit either. old school fried chicken
>>
Mexican! Everyone could bring fixings for tacos / fajitas / etc. Would be fun.
>>
>>7089549

just fucking do the lamb bro you could blow their tiny minds.
>>
>>7089545
that's beef
and filipino food is fucking SHIT TIER
>>
At my house we do a roast raccoon or empty a case of spam out and mold it into a turkey shape.
>>
>>7089601
Neither the host nor I are huge fans of seafood unfortunately.

I like the roast pork and Mexican ideas though
>>
IMO you should do a smoked, marinated and slow roasted lamb or pork shoulder and serve it with chutneys and flatbreads. if you do lamb get some glossy, vinegary/tamarindy braised aubergine dish going, and a huge fucking thing of steaming braised lettuce, peas and radishes with lemon and butter. heads of roasted garlic to extrude into seasoned oily yoghurt, and a rich slop of lentils. if you do pork you could crisp the fat and do a mole and have a crunchy apple salad with roasted peanuts
>>
>>7089516

I'd have paired garlic and rosemary with lamb desu.

Roast pork with cider, apples, sage, throw an onion in. It'll be amazing.
>>
>>7089569

Goose is an overrated bird. Expensive, incredibly fatty, and tiny amounts of meat. Goose feathers and down are great for bedding and keeping warm, but I'll pass on the meat.
>>
>>7089709

I've sorta wanted to try goose ever since I saw it mentioned being eaten for Christmas in an old Sherlock Holmes show.
>>
>alternative ideas

1. Quiche seems obvious
2. Salad seem obvious
3. Roasted root veggies seems obvious
4. Pecan type pie has no meat in it, I think
5. Beans

Do you own a copy of "The Vegetarian Epicure"? Start there.
>>
>>7089716

The Victorians stopped eating it and moved to the modern turkey because it has far more meat. In A Christmas Carol, poor Bob Cratchitt's family have to share a tiny goose among themselves until Scrooge buys them a prize turkey.
>>
Turkey legs. Just the legs, eat with hands.
>>
autumn is literally wild animal season. Deer, rabbit, game etc
>>
>>7089507
duck, something i can hunt. hunting is always thanksgiving ish.
>>
mac and cheese they aint the queen they just some friend desu
>>
Standing rib roast or Lasagna. Cousin is smoking a turducken this year.
>>
amerisemen served with avacado and plain rice
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.