[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baking Bread General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: bread.jpg (42 KB, 608x344) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
42 KB, 608x344
Hi /ck/
Are you baking anything?
I've been baking some sourdough bread lately. I've started with normal white bread with yeast, but later I've made some sourdough and now I bake rye bread (with a bit of wheat to get a better consistency) every second day.

Any baking stories, experiences, recipes?
>>
>>7086939
baked my first loaf the other week using the nyt no knead recipe as recommended on here

came out awesome......intend to make more this week
>>
My starter is in the fridge, in 2 days I'll wake it up and make some sourdough pita bread.
>>
Too cold for my starter to do anything. sucks wasting gas to heat up the oven just to get a rise out of my bread. But then it's too hot in the summer for me to wanna turn on the oven. Help.
>>
File: jesuisunbaguette.jpg (140 KB, 734x979) Image search: [Google]
jesuisunbaguette.jpg
140 KB, 734x979
Baguette is stupidly easy to make.

250 g Flour
130 g water
1/2 block of yeast

Mix all of it and work it until you have a nice dough
Wait 20 minutes, knead again. Do this two times
Form baguettes and coat the surface in a bit of flour, makes a better crust
Put in oven for 20 minutes
profit
>>
>>7087038
forgot the 6 grams of salt
>>
Too hot still. Hopefully in a few days.
>>
Who here /rye/?
>>
so far i;ve just made regular white bread type bread. done it twice so far
>>
File: baguette2-1.jpg (1 MB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
baguette2-1.jpg
1 MB, 1200x798
>>7087038
Every bread is stupidly easy to make and hard to master. I was never even close to being satisfied with the crumb and oven spring of my baguettes (pic related).
>>
>>7087012
How cold is it in your place? Here it's about 23c in room and the dough takes about 6 hours to rise.

>>7086987
Nice. I've made some yeast pita breads. Might use the starter next time.

>>7087060
Best taste, but sadly doesn't rise as well as wheat.
>>
>>7087080
These look really good. I put some water in a shallow bowl into the oven before I start baking, so the crumb absorbs the moisture and gets more crusty.
>>
File: 111815.jpg (164 KB, 1416x1086) Image search: [Google]
111815.jpg
164 KB, 1416x1086
Here's what I baked this morning, nothing special, just ordinary, tasty bread. Sadly I lost track of time and it baked about 30 minutes too long... crumb still tastes good inside though.

Recipe:
10% AP flour (from sourdough starter, I maintain mine at a 50:50 ratio)
15% whole wheat flour
5% cornmeal
70% AP flour
10% water (from starter)
50% water
2% each of salt, sugar, and canola oil
Mix, develop using turn and fold technique, bulk ferment overnight in refrigerator, shape and proof at room temperature 2-3 hours, bake at 350 for 55 minutes.

>>7087038
>50% hydration
>no preferment or poolish or sourdough
>no bulk ferment
>baguette
nope nope nope

Baguettes are supposed to be a high hydration bread (65+), that's what gives them an open crumb. And if you just slap yeast in flour and bake it an hour later, that's going to give you a very bland flavor.
>>
I tried that nyt no knead bread a couple of times and it never fails to end up flat
I follow the recipe to the letter and I don't get how these americans can get all their bread to rise when mine just ends up like a flat cushion
what am I probably doing wrong?
>>
File: diagnostics.png (246 KB, 1185x1625) Image search: [Google]
diagnostics.png
246 KB, 1185x1625
>>7087223
Does the dough rise before you put it in the oven or not?

If it doesn't rise at all, it means something is wrong with your yeast, or you've killed the yeast by pouring boiling water on them.

If the dough rises but the bread collapses during baking then it could be you're allowing it to ferment too long or doing something wrong in the shaping process (creating big air bubbles that collapse).
>>
File: 1332370821963.jpg (352 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1332370821963.jpg
352 KB, 1280x720
More things everyone should know about bread
>>
>>7087223
no knead bread? That really doesn't sound like a good idea. Can you share the recipe?

>>7087191
350 seems like a low temperature and 55 minutes is a lot, still, an interesting recipe.

My recipe is kinda like this (using German type description):
300g starter (50:50 ratio water:rye flour 1000)
250g rye flour 700
150g wheat flour 500
170ml water
1 tsp water

Let it rise for 6 hours in a bowl, then knead and fold, put olive olive on it, shape and let it rise for 1 hour. Put some water into the oven in a heat-proof bowl. Put the bread into oven at 250c (480F) and immediately turn the heat to 220c (420c) and let it bake for 35 minutes.
>>
>>7087191
>bulk ferment overnight in refrigerator
what is the point of that? the yeast is dormant in the fridge. might as well skip that part and proof longer.
>>
>>7087343
He doesn't use yeast. He uses a sourdough starter.
>>
>>7087291
Yeah the dough rises fine before cooking
>>7087318
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
>>
>>7087343
The long, cold ferment gives the bacteria that are part of the sourdough culture more time to work and develop flavor - but slows the yeast down so that they can't make too much alcohol (that's what's responsible for the tangy bitterness of sourdough breads). I do it that way because my family members don't really like tangy sourdough bread.

>>7087318
"no knead" is a popular name for what I referred to earlier as a turn-and-fold technique - basically you use the dough's natural expansion and relaxation to encourage gluten development rather than mechanically beating it into shape.

BTW, if you're in Germany I'm jealous, where I live in the US there's almost no rye flour available without paying exorbitant prices.
>>
>>7087393
That's.. Not too great I think.
Try this one
http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/white-cob/
Although you might want not to make a cut in the bread, when I did that, it flattened.
>>
>>7087406
I live in Poland, but Germany has the same flour naming as we do. Rye flour is about 0.80$ per kg here. So it's not that bad. Well, if you consider an average bread is between 60 cents and 1$.
>>
>>7087415
thanks I'll try it out
what I don't understand though is how almost everyone is able to have it turn out successful but mine
I don't think it would be as popular if it didn't work
>>
>>7087191
Thank you
>>
>>7087460
You're not alone anon. I tried the no knead bread for the first time the other day and mine turned out pretty meh as well. I used instant yeast and let it rise for 10ish hours, so it could have risen too long maybe? It still tasted good with the bean soup i made, it was just a little flat and had a pretty hard crust.
>>
>>7086939
sourdough sounds really complicated, how do you do it?
>>
>>7089044
Getting the starter going isn't hard at all (though it may take multiple tries and different methods to get a working culture), and once you have that it's not any more work than any other leavened bread
>>
>>7089044
All you need is the starter. I can give you the recipe I used and it works pretty well.

You'll need:
125ml natural yoghurt
150ml buttermilk
400g rye flour
100g '00' strong flour
350ml water

1. Making the starter takes 5 days. First mix in a bowl 100ml of buttermilk and 125ml of yoghurt. Stir in 100g of the rye flour. Cover and leave at room temperature for 24 hours.

2. The next day stir in 100g of rye flour, 100ml of water, stir, cover and leave for 48 hours

3. Remove about 100g of the starter mix, add 200g more rye flour, 100ml of water and the remaining 50ml of buttermilk. Stir well, cover and leave for 24 hours

3. The next day, add 100g of '00' flour and 150ml of water. Stir well, cover and leave for the final 24 hours. It is then ready to use.

Keep in the fridge and every 3-4 days discard one third and replace with an equal amount of water and rye flour and mix well. This way you can keep it alive and on hand almost indefinitely.
If you make bread every 3-4 days, you won't have to discard it at all, because you'll be using some of it for the bread.

You can use the starter for other recipes as well, for example making a traditional, Polish sour rye soup.
>>
I made a oat bread the other day.

A little brown sugar, 1/2c of oats, 1c wheat flour, 2c regular flour, some olive oil, some water and also some apple cider, 1tsp of yeast, and some cinnamon. Salt too obviously.

All mixed up and kneaded for 5min, then let rise for an hour, then baked at 400 (in a bread pan) for 35min.

It came out perfectly like I wanted, I'm excited to eat some later with some peanut butter. Might post a picture later too.
>>
>>7089146
>'00' flour

Google tells me that's an Italian type? Is it important to use exactly this? Could one use just the rye flour for the final step too?
>>
>>7089232
No. I just copied the recipe from a book I have. I used only rye flour type 1050 when I was making it and it turned out just fine.

Just remember, using a high type flour in your bread will make it a bit more flat. But it has more protein and fiber, so helps in dem gains.
>>
>>7087038
Would you say this is a good video that illustrates the process?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLDBZys8pw
>>
>>7086939
I bake all my own bread.

18oz AP flour
1.5 cup water
1/4 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt

No kneading, just stir it up and let it ferment over nite.

Next day divide in two, and either fridge one, or make two loaves. Let rise again, and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, rotating once at the half way point.

Too easy.
>>
>>7087343
>what is the point of that? the yeast is dormant in the fridge.

The yeast isn't dormant, just slower, anon.
>>
>>7089404
I only bake bread in the cooler months. In the warmer months, I make flatbread, which isn't baked per se. Actually, I don't know the word for it. Is a yeasted bread made on the hob rather than in the oven still called "baked" or no?

Anyway, with any luck, I'm going to be baking my first oven loaf of the season tomorrow if it's cool enough to turn on the oven. I detest having a 425°F/220°C heat source on for an hour when it's hot and muggy out.
>>
>>7087460

Remember that you've got two rise times with that no knead recipe.

The first is allowing the yeast to ferment over nite, and it's obvious when it has, because you'll see all the gas holes made by the years over nite.

The second rise takes place after you form your dough into whatever shaped loaf you want. This second rise can need an hour, or more, depending on your temps. I usually give my no knead loaves about 2 hours to rise before baking.
>>
>>7089434
that's exactly what I did
but was 18hrs on the first rise too much, that's what the recipe said
>>
Ok I've been using this recipe for ever, tell me if it's right.

Pizza bread:
330 mL water (cold)
500 g flour (high protein, >10 g per 100g)
1 packet dry yeast (~8 g?)
8 g salt

Work for 7 minutes, rest over night.

I've never felt like I got it spot on though, sometimes I've used baking powder and sugar, sometimes playing around with ratios. What's the best way to make pizza bread?
>>
File: potato_bread.jpg (260 KB, 1759x989) Image search: [Google]
potato_bread.jpg
260 KB, 1759x989
I've been trying to make potato bread, but I can't get the crumb very even and if collapsed a bit after I took it out of the oven.

I followed this recipe: http www tablespoon com/recipes/mashed-potato-bread/3a954d32-8729-4986-b2c9-d3af356364e4 , except that I added a teaspoon of salt into the dough and heated the oven to 450 instead of 350.

Is it possible I just overproofed?
>>
I tried making conchas and pretzels and they became rock hard after cooling. What went wrong?
>>
>>7086957
Do you have the recipe?
>>
>>7089665
Maybe a bit too moist?
Try squeezing the water out of potatoes next time, or try using high-starch potatoes. I don't know the exact name for those.
>>
>>7089541

Might have been too much, anon.

If you form it into loaves, you should be able to tell if it rises again, and if it doesn't, then you know you have a problem before you put it in the oven.

Try it again with less fermentation time and see what happens. You'll have to tweak your recipe to match your conditions, regardless.
>>
>>7089594

Pizza bread, or pizza dough, anon?

Never heard of pizza bread.
>>
>>7089232
>>7089146
If you want something a little simpler buttakes a little longer...
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter

This one isn't done by weight, but it still works great. I started mine this way and after 7 days switched over to a 1:2:2 feeding schedule (starter:water:flour by weight)
>>
How do you work with really wet doughs? How do you get them firm enough to hold a shape?
>>
>>7090113

Either use a mold, or simply add flower until it becomes manageable.
>>
>>7090113
Using high gluten flour and the turn-and-fold technique will improve firmness. But previous anon is right, with very wet doughs you basically need some kind of mold (aka banneton, brotform, proofing basket) otherwise you end up with foccaccia.
>>
>>7090895
I've never had any luck getting the dough outta those things and onto the sheet. :-(
>>
>>7089683
Not him but this:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
There's a lot of adaptations of the method on various baking blogs, some might be better.

Long cold fermentation and shooting the dough into a hot heavy set pot will always make amazing bread though.
>>
>>7089146
A starter doesn't really take 5 days to make. You can use it on the same day you make it. It won't taste as good, but it will get better over time as local yeast takes over.

Dissolve some yeast in warm water in a plastic tub. Then add an equal weight of flour (a digital scale is necessary here) to the tub and mix. It will bubble and froth, and then after an hour or two it is ready to use. Store excess starter in the fridge.
>>
File: sad bread.jpg (38 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
sad bread.jpg
38 KB, 500x333
Did Fuck Flour die?
>>
>>7089823
>>7089594
Do you mean Focaccia?

Good recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8kEpPfna6w
>>
File: White 82% Hydration 2.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
White 82% Hydration 2.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7091153
I'm still alive. Busy, but alive.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.