[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is hummus a solid or a liquid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: Hummus_Bowl.jpg (467 KB, 2872x2104) Image search: [Google]
Hummus_Bowl.jpg
467 KB, 2872x2104
Is hummus a solid or a liquid?
>>
Hummus is like glass, it's an amorphous solid, neither a solid nor a liquid.
>>
File: mitvit.jpg (29 KB, 526x300) Image search: [Google]
mitvit.jpg
29 KB, 526x300
>>7086477
>>
it's an emulsion
>>
It's actually a really dense gas.
>>
>>7086473
Both. It is a liquid with solid lumps.
>>
>>7086473
It's a paste.
>>
>>7086477
This is the correct answer.
Everyone else needs to go back to school.
Faggots.
>>
It is actually a super intelligent form of the colour beige
>>
I have half a glass of tahini left over from making hummus. What else can I make with tahini?
>>
File: aejo35p_700b.jpg (108 KB, 638x935) Image search: [Google]
aejo35p_700b.jpg
108 KB, 638x935
>>
>>7086483
>a fine dispersion of minute droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble or miscible.
Yup, as it's cooked chickpeas + tahini for the most part, this is the most accurate answer.
>>
>>7086808
more hummus
>>
>>7086473
A newtonian liquid
>>
>>7086946

>inb4 more more hummus
>>
>>7086638
Its not an amorphous solid, don't try to sound smart
>>
>>7086975
You mean a non-newtownian liquid, like custard.....
>>
Its a paste
>>
I find this hummurus.
>>
>>7086477
That's an urban legend dumbahh
Ancient glassmaking processes resulted in it being thicker at the bottom than the top, this doesn't happen over time because it melts.
>>
>>7086477
>>7086638
OP did not specify the conditions of the hummus system. Temperature, pressure, etc...
Approaching absolute zero yet moderate pressures, the hummus is a solid
Raise the temperature sufficiently and it could become a plasma.
Do we have a phase diagram for hummus? What is the triple point? Along what lines does it sublimate? Entropy, enthalpy, transition energies?
Perhaps you need to refer to the tables in the back of your thermodynamics 101 text, specifically the hummus section.
>>
>>7086473
its a gas.
>>
>>7086473
Plasma desu senpai
>>
>>7087037
it is absolutely true. I have an old farm house built in the late 1700s. I went fishing one day and was lost at sea for almost 200 years. when I returned all the glass had melted out. I blame the african president. true story
>>
File: computer.jpg (162 KB, 978x550) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
162 KB, 978x550
>>7086477
>>7086638

Engineer here. Your are correct with the hummus. Glass is undoubtedly solid though.
The definition of a fluid is a substance that continually deforms (flows) under an applied shear stress.
Amorphous solids behave similarly in this way, except at lower pressures, they act like solids and will resist movements. Peanut butter is perfect example. Solid in a jar when left alone, but can flow like a fluid around your knife.

Tell me, have you ever pushed against glass so hard that it flows around you?
Should we call copper an amorphous solid too because old eves are thicker at the bottom?

What people see in glass (and many other things like steel and copper) is called creep. Under the constant force of gravity, the glass on the surface slowly moves downward. Funny enough, engineering creep can also be called "cold flow"
>>
it's a gel
>>
>>7087450
hilarious
>>
>>7086808
tahini sauce, which is basically hummus without chickpeas
pumpkin/squash dip
or you could just use it as a condiment, I like to add it to rice
>>
>>7086473
It's Jewish is what it is.
>>
File: trashyramsay.png (1 MB, 1344x756) Image search: [Google]
trashyramsay.png
1 MB, 1344x756
Skip to 10:10
Hummus should not be a damn liquid
>>
>>7087642
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQHiTnA6XI
>>
>>7087646
Reality shows are awful.
>>
>>7087653
It's Gordan Ramsay, man knows what hes talking about. Although the US version of the show is far more dramatic.
>>
>>7087657
it takes more to upset us than using the wrong syntax of course our TV is more dramatic.
>>
>>7087657
>It's Gordan Ramsay, man knows what hes talking about

not when he's just shitting on the food at the start of an episode of kitchen nightmares dude. anything brown looks like poo, anything he suspects might be frozen 'tastes frozen', he just pulls shit apart with his fork and says it's 'shocking' without any real reasoning.
>>
>>7088100
That's just in the clapcunt version because Americans need everything to be overblown and obviously. In the original version, when the food was good he said so.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.