[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever owned a manual coffee grinder (something like pictured).
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Anyone ever owned a manual coffee grinder (something like pictured). Figure I might save a few bucks vs. an electric one, but dunno if they are a huge pain in the ass.
>>
Isn't the thread you already started about this still in the catalog?

Just look into mid-range burr grinders if you're serious about coffee.
>>
>>7085650
I haven't posted on /ck/ in months (never about coffee). But will look.
>>
They are fine if you want to save money in exchange for having to grind a couple of minutes every time you want to brew coffee.

Personally I don't really mind since I wake up 2 hours before work anyway and like to have slower mornings rather than rush out the door.

The other consideration is how much coffee you drink. Most manual grinders are best for one or two people, electrics generally do larger batches.

Burr grinders only of course.
>>
Just get a Capresso 560
>>
Is there really a benefit to burr grinders or is this just a meme?
>>
I have a porlex mini and I can fit about 25 grams of light roasted coffee into it. It takes about 2 minutes to grind. I don't mind grinding but if you're ever in a rush it kinda sucks.
>>
>>7085641
They're only a pain in the ass to clean since that involves taking them apart (small pieces).

Grinding is only a pain in the ass is you're grinding finer than medium-fine (for Aeropress).
>>
>>7085641
I have a Hario Skerton. I really don't mind 60 sec of grinding (22g coarse). I'm like this guy >>7085656
, though and not always in a rush. I figure you gotta wait for the water to boil anyways, amirite?
>>
>>7085761
Everything is a meme.

But yes, burr grinders do a better job of uniformly grinding coffee so you don't end up with an uneven grind like you will in other coffee grinders.
>>
File: 8126009547_31a8486abb_z.jpg (144 KB, 640x575) Image search: [Google]
8126009547_31a8486abb_z.jpg
144 KB, 640x575
I got one of pic related from an old family house.
I use pre grinded coffee tbf.
>>
>>7085855
>I use pre grinded coffee tbf.
Literally the best thing you can do to up your coffee game is to grind right before brewing.
>>
>>7085874
Meh, I'm not drinking shit coffee but I'm not treating it like wine either.
One bag never lasts more than one week for me so I never have to deal with too much loss of aroma.
Grinding it would be better, but I'm not sure it would be worth the bother.
>>
>>7085641
>huge pain in the ass
with that mindset just go with the electric. You'll be back to preground within a month regardless.
>>
>>7085874
Totally agree.

I'm not a snob about food generally, but fresh-fround coffee vs. anything else is just day and night.
>>
>>7085641
They're worth it, honestly. Extract with a French press. Don't know if you usually add shit to your coffee, but grind like this and it doesn't need that.
>>
>>7085761
It's not just a meme
Burr grinders give you more consistent grinds compared to blade grinders
If you have really fine grinds when you don't want them, you end up over extracting and coffee starts getting bitter.
>>
If you're just making coffee for yourself, then manual grinders are great. It only takes a minute or two, and they're cheap and small. I have the slim Hario one, which I don't recommend because it's driven by parts with shitty metal that round out over time, but I hear the Skerton is good.

If you're making coffee for several people, like a big pot of drip, then it would be a pain in the ass to grind that much manually. If I've got family over, I reach for the tub of preground folgers.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.