[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knives for an adult human
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_0758.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0758.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Hi /ck/
What kind of knives/what brand is best for a competent home cook? I want to stop using the shitty old blunt knives I've got and invest in something good and appropriate. Some girl at a knife store told me I should buy Brasilia but I've really got no idea. In return here's a photo of some stew I made.
>>
>>7085413
Get something Japanese because Japanese knives are the best

t: weeaboo
>>
>>7085413
Mora.
>Thread ended.
>>
Crappy knives are crappy, but there's really little difference between average and best, at least when it comes to standard-shaped knives. Any decent chef knife is almost as good as the best.

Now for fancy knives... a friend got that "Santoku" below in picattached. It's a lower-middle brand, and actually the knives are quite nice... except for that one.

Normally Santoku knife has a kind of corrugated trailing edge, so that slices of vegetables don't stick to it; no large flat surface.

Well, here they went cheapo and instead of corrugated shape, they just made depressions in the surface.

I tried slicing potatoes with that one. I was seriously afraid about my fingers and had to rest my whole weight on the half of the potato that stuck to the knife. The depressions act as suction cups, and damn strong at that.
>>
>>7085434

Yeah, I'm definitely after middle-ground rather than crazy expensive. What sort of price should I be paying for a knife block? I'm looking at some which retail for ~$500 but are reduced to about $200.
>>
>>7085413
>I want to stop using the shitty old blunt knives I've got

Buy whetstones before you spend money on knifes
>>
To be honest... does it really matter? Spend $30 max for a knife that fits your hand. Keep it sharp. Job done.
There is no fucking reason a sharp blade and plastic handle costs more then $30. If you think you need to spend a lot... consider the bill of materials for such an item: the value of the materials is less than a dollar, and is easily mass produced. If you're paying a lot, its for brand names and faggot endorsements... feeble minds are easily tricked.
>>
>>7085443
Bruh for real get a couple of Victorinox Fibrox.

Get a decent sized chef's knife that fits in your hand good, get a bread knife if you cut bread often, and get a couple of little utility knives. Get a santoku style blade if you want to be a fancy motherfucker. Each of those knives is between $40 and $60 dollars, except for the utility knives which are cheap as anything.
Fibrox are stamped steel blades, which is not ideal, but still perfectly serviceable. The steel is very high quality and holds an edge well. The synthetic handle is dishwasher safe and non-slip even when greasy so you are less likely to lose control of the blade.
And, because they are only around fifty bux you can just buy a piece of shit $5 pull-through sharpener and it will be fine for a couple of years, and then you can just get a new one.
>>7085463
fuck off ellipses guy nobody likes you
>>
>>7085449
This negroid is aware the situation pertaining to current circumstances.
>>
>>7085449
This guy is right. Best knives won't stay sharp long without maintenance and even crappy knives can be made very sharp, they'll just go blunt fast and require honing unreasonably often. So the whetstone is more important than a better knife, although a better knife is still a good idea.
>>
>>7085467
Mi familia. Thank you.

>>7085477
Yeah I get what he's saying and was already planning to invest in a sharpener of some kind.
>>
>>7085467
OP, this is really good advice that I was going to take but when I went to a store and held one of the knives the plastic handle turned me off so bad. I couldn't imagine using them at all. I got a knife with a wooden handle and it feels much nicer. That said, it could just be a me thing, so it's up to you.
>>
>>7085488
>tfw got a knife with rubber handle

nothing compares
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.