[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't college age women know how to cook anymore, this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: Fatal_Frame_Wii_U.jpg (388 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Fatal_Frame_Wii_U.jpg
388 KB, 1280x720
Why don't college age women know how to cook anymore, this isn't even some /r9k/ shit, all my female friends and girls I've met so far, don't know how to cook shit. WTF is happening? Guys aren't any better, but there are a handful who I know can cook very well.
>>
>>7084888
Basic cooking isn't taught in schools these days. Speaking to my mother, grandmother, the talked about school learning basics, how to make pastry, cakes, bread, stews, how to pluck, gut and carve a chicken, learning about REAL cooking and actually DOING it in school.

I remember my "Home Economics" lessons at school were 95% classroom learning and occasionally we'd make a pizza with premade base and sauce. Basic cooking skills should be in everyones education IMOFAM
>>
>>7084900
This combined with the fact that the current generation was raised by a generation of women who had careers so didn't cook for their families and didn't pass on any cooking knowledge to their children.

It's a complete lack of knowledge from any sources.
>>
>>7084888
Maybe they don't enjoy cooking. It's a hobby, and it's not for everyone.
>>
>>7085003
>It's a hobby

It's a life skill, not a hobby. Just like tying your shoelaces. Sure you could wear velcro shoes but jesus fucking christ you look retarded for it.
>>
>>7085003
It a life skill bro, reduces your variable expenses like crazy, and leads to a healthier lifestyle.
>>
Basically my experience too. I can cook and I know a couple of guys who can but I've yet to meet a girl my age who can cook. They seem not to see the need but I haven't come across any of them being proud that they can't cook because of tumblr >muhgenderroles shit or whatever.
>>
Because the modern woman can go outside and get a beta orbiter to take her out to dinner any night of the week. Why bother learn to cook?
>>
>>7084888
Nice trips.

And I have no idea. I'm a 19-y/o guy and I can't find a female my age that can cook for shit. I learned from my mother and grandmother though, and branch out with new recipes and stuff having some minor previous cooking knowledge.
>>
>>7085062
same Senpai, learned from my mom, my room mate is black, he cooks pretty well. my white room mates however don't know shit.
>>
Because their MOTHERS didn't teach them how to cook. Don't blame the school system. When your husband leaves you high and dry with 2+ kids so he can go play hide the salami with his assistant you don't have time to cook when you're a single mom working 50+ hours a week. You pick the kids up from day care, get home, get them washed, get their homework done, maybe clean the bathroom, unload the dishwasher and do you want to spend 45 -90 minutes cooking, or do you want to relax with your kids for the spare hour you have before they go to bed? So you pop open some Kraft mac and cheese so you can maybe get some reading done before bed.

This doesn't really excuse the next generation. I married a Mexican, so I learned to cook. It's not really THAT hard. I think early failures dishearten some, though.
>>
>>7085124
yea but if they learned how to cook in the first place, then there is no need for their husbands to leave them. The old saying goes, the quickest way to a man heart is through his stomach, it not some old wives tales, it is the truth, but if a man can cook better than you, why should he stick with you when he has some Grade A pussy waiting for him?
>>
>>7085133
I can cook better than my gf but she does most of the cooking, I just do the set piece meals
>>
>>7085140
but she can cook, most girls don't know how.
>>
File: 084234848038246789.png (1 MB, 1012x1052) Image search: [Google]
084234848038246789.png
1 MB, 1012x1052
>not being able to cook yourself, then teaching them how to
>>
>>7085133
I think you might not have a great handle on relationships if the only thing keeping you around is food.
>>
I have not experienced this in my life at all, so I have a hard time taking this seriously. I legitimately cannot tell if this is just bunch of bitching by snobs or I've lived my life surrounded by good cooks [spoiler] who have taught me well[/spoiler]"
>>
>>7085133
I wrote that post, and my mom left my dad because he beat her, cheated on her multiple times, and was an alcoholic. But you know, I'm sure if she was a better cook he would have cheated on her slightly less.
>>
>>7084888
I love cooking and I'm good at it you liar
>>
>be college age
>can cook
>everyone i know that's my age can cook too

Seriously I've never seen shit like what the instant ramen eating, trashbag lined crockpot using /ck/ NEETs post here in RL.

Are there people that will happily eat hot dogs and frozen fries for a week? yes
Does that mean they can't cook a decent meal if they want to impress someone? no
>>
>>7085286
shh, just let them believe cooking is difficult.
>>
>>7084888
>because they are "empowered" same reason they can't clean after themselves and need Lupe to clean for them. They are so independent and strong they rely on others for their everyday existence, like a baby.
>>
>>7085299
i didn't mean to greentext. also I got dubs and OP got trips, so today was productive
>>
>>7085291
we're saying its easy
>>
>>7085291
>>7085286
Yeah, where the fuck do y'all live? Most all of my peers can cook, with slightly fewer men lacking cooking skills because they come from traditional cultures that don't bother teaching the sons.

Now that said I know two girls who can't cook: my sister and my cousin, and thats because they live in an extended household. By the time they get home from school mom/granny has cooked something so they never learned the skills. Its a function of being coddled and busy.
>>
>>7085305
I dunno senpai, at uni I lived with loads of people who couldn't cook for shit, a bunch of middle class millenials studying Creative Writing and Gender Studies
>>
That's funny because I know plenty of college age girls who cook when practically none of my college age guy friends cook besides me. Lots of chipotle bags lying around their places.
If they do cook it's for one of these reasons
>Workout nutrition, which isn't even cooking. It's prep. Boiled eggs, chicken breasts, broccoli, etc
>Sustenance. Boring recipes meant to last you
>Saving money. Same thing, but even more boring because less ingredients.
>Trying to impress the grills
I'm the only one I know who does it because I enjoy it.
>>
Here's a thought for you:

Maybe the people you know are not a satistically siginicant sample of the population, with a huge sample bias? Ever thought about that?
>>
>>7085355
Shhh let people enjoy their confirmation biases
>>
>>7085355
>muh anecdotes and bias: the thread

OP probably doesn't even know any women.
>>
>>7085390
Women probably don't even exist.
>>
>>7085352

Why do you expect people to give a shit about food other than they need to eat it? Were talkjng about knowing enough about how to cook to feed yourself here, which it sounds like your friends have down.

You sound like a liser tbqh family
>>
>>7085396

Oops, **loser just in case it wasnt clear.
>>
>>7084978
I actually turned out opposite. Both of my parents worked long hours, mom maybe even more and I was a picky piece of shit kid (I only wanted to eat homecooked meals) so I learned how to cook at the age of 13. Also taught my younger brother. Until I moved, two of us took turns cooking/cleaning during the week so parents can rest after work. Kinda same with my friends who have working morhers too. Muh anecdotal evidence but whatever
>>
File: 1423898580735.jpg (126 KB, 694x775) Image search: [Google]
1423898580735.jpg
126 KB, 694x775
>>7085396
>Why do you expect people to
>give a shit about food
>>
>>7085402
rip /frz/ ;_;7

I kinda miss it.
>>
>>7085396
I don't care what they do with their cooking. Didn't say anything about expecting them to be good, either. Not sure where you got that from. Are you projecting? Is that why you're so worked up?
>>
>>7084978
>It's a complete lack of knowledge from any sources
>in the age of fucking Google

Anyone alive right now who doesn't know how to cook doesn't know by choice.
>>
Because it's a cognitive bias you have. You meet a fat stinking neckbeard who lives on pizza and Mountain Dew, you don't think he is representative of men even though he is in fact a dude. You meet a dumb party girl who can't cook worth shit, you think yes, she is a woman and she is representative of women in general. In reality, tons of college-age kids cannot cook or don't care enough about food to learn how to cook well. And then plenty are competent cooks, and a smaller number really enjoy eating well and can cook to a good standard.
>>
>>7084888
I don't know any men who can cook either
>>
>>7084888
>Why don't college age women know how to cook anymore,

As time goes on more and more people fall into the lazy trap and buy pre-made foods and/or eat out. Thus cooking skills are lost with each generation. Applies to men just as much as women.
>>
>>7085003
>cooking's a hobby

What? Do some people actually just eat pre-made food then?
>>
>>7085133
Are you serious right now anon? You sound like a complete idiot.
>>
>>7085124
Yeah that's why my dad cheated and beat my mom and left her for a woman who couldn't cook.
>>
>recently break up with girlfriend
>she moves out back to her mom's place
>I did all of the cooking when she lived here
>she always complains that there's nothing to eat at her mom's house
>she asks me how to make a grilled cheese
well shit I guess when you don't see ingredients as food it's pretty hard to eat.
>>
>>7084888
it's not just women, nobody knows how to cook anymore. boys were'nt taught because it wasn't masculine and girls weren't taught because that's sexist, also lot's of folks have parents who are bad cooks so they actually see a quality increase when they eat fast food instead of home cooking
>>
>modern women can't cook because their mothers didn't teach them

Everything I know about cooking I learned from my father and the Internet. I think my paternal relations are better cooks anyway.
>>
>>7085402

i mean the people he is referring to that don't post on ck.. i work in fine dining, i love food and doing all kinds of crazy and unnecessary things with food.

>>7085446

>i'm the only one who does it because i enjoy it

again, most people cook for sustenance. some people enjoy it, a lot of people just see it as fulfilling their most basic human need.
>>
>>7084888
The common factor here is you. You associate with idiots. Literally every girl I know cooks. My friend baked a cake for my birthday just recently.
>>
>>7085133
Ah so it's the women's fault when a man cheats. You don't sound biased at all.
>>
>>7086961
baking =/= cooking you autistic fuck. are you going to feed your family cake for every meal?

>literally every girl i know
you know 0 girls so no one will argue
>>
>>7085124
maybe you shouldn't rely on your mother for everything and take a bit of initiative yourself. it doesn't take 45-90 minutes to make a good homecooked meal. maybe this is why husband is hiding the salami. the past few generations of women are lazy and incompetent so no man has any incentive to be loyal
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.