[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this stuff such a staple for so many people here in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: ketchup.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ketchup.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
Why is this stuff such a staple for so many people here in America? People put ketchup on hot dogs, burgers, fries, etc. It is appalling to me, ketchup does not go well with anything, it just overpowers the flavor.
>>
Why are you making a thread about it?
>>
It's a staple in the UK too :(
>>
Because culture + people liking it
>>
>>7083100
>nice blog post
Because people have shit taste anon. Unless you are stupid, you should fucking know this by now.
>>
>>7083100
There's use
And then there's abuse
Sometimes the line is thin with ketchup
>>
>>7083108
>It is appalling to me

Highest of derps
>>
>>7083100
It goes great with a good steak :)
>>
ketchup and mayonaise have combinations of flavors that people like
>>
>>7083100
mcdonalds marketing mostly
>>
If you knew how to cook you'd probably know that ketchup is a pretty versatile ingredient. As a sauce it's often overpowering. I like that shit on fries though.
>>
As a child I put it on everything(and I mean everything). Now I only put it on fries.
>>
>>7084583
this desu senpai senpaitachi. Basically just tomato puree with vinegar and sugar. A dash can add a touch of richness to a sauce.
>>
>>7083100
>It is appalling to me

Well then maybe you should stop being such a faggot?
>>
>>7083100
>it just overpowers the flavor.
So does every condiment and spice in existence. Unless, of course, you only use it in small amounts to enhance or add to the flavor. But who could think of doing that?
>>
Because American food is bland.
>>
>>7085770
>American food
>literally just food from Europe or South America
>>
do most people even know that ketchup contains high fructose corn syrup? thats pretty nasty
>>
>>7085799
>hfcs meme
name one reason its bad
>>
>>7085799
Maybe in clapistan it does
>>
>>7085789
Yeah because American food is not a shitty version of European food.

Shit bread unlike German or French bread. Noddles with tomato sauce. Chipotle is not even Mexican food is like a shitty Subway for "tacos".
>>
Every single sauce overpowers the food and sauces of any kind should not be used.

Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 20151017_113936.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151017_113936.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>7083100
>>
>>7083100

Britbong here.

I like ketchup, but I only use it for making bland tasteless foods tolerable.
>>
Conceptually there's nothing wrong with ketchup, it's used with salty, high fat and high starch foods to offset those with a bit of tartness and sweetness. The problem is its ubiquity. Like many have mentioned ITT all sauces overpower the dish. Take a pan sauce made with butter, it's pretty overpowering. But ketchup always tastes the same and applying it to different dishes makes them taste vaguely similar. Imagine if a butter and wine based sauce was as popular as ketchup, as good as it may be it'd get boring eventually and you'd act snobbish about it.
>>
>ketchup does not go well with anything
Ketchup is needed for all types of fried potato
>>
>>7085801

It has a really shitty mouthfeel.
>>
>ketchup
>fries

Only some form of primative savage would do this. Mayo is objectivley the best sauce for fries.
>>
>>7083100
>ketchup does not go well with anything
Lists 3 things it goes perfectly with.
>>
>>7086293
I used to think that too but idk like a month ago I had some fries and mayo and felt like I was gonna puke still can't do it now
>>
> it just overpowers the flavor

stop putting so much of it on your meal then,manchild

if you can taste nothing but ketchup you've dun goofed
>>
>>7086293
>not using both

get a load of this fag
>>
http://gladwell.com/the-ketchup-conundrum/

Here is your answer OP. It's probably lengthier than what you wanted but by the time you're done you'll have a through understanding of not just ketchup, but of the vital role mustard played in reshaping nearly the entire food industry.
>>
File: sbr.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
sbr.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
How'd you feel about this? Pretty similar to American Ketchup but with some other shit.
>>
>>7086293
This.
>>
>its overpowering

Its called using less of it
>>
>>7083100

I pretty much only use it on burgers, meatloaf, and some fries depending on where.
>>
>>7088767
bbq sauce is just acceptable ketchup, and some bbq sauce is really really good. ketchup is worthless
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.