[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im making a meatloaf and would like to make something different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: H2_Meatloaf_Sliced_1[1].jpg (2 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
H2_Meatloaf_Sliced_1[1].jpg
2 MB, 4096x3072
Im making a meatloaf and would like to make something different for once. What are some nice recipes?
Also why americans put ketchup on top of their meatloaf? pic related
>>
>>7082990
I've always topped mine with tomato sauce and oregano. It can be pretty good with ketchup though, its one of the few dishes ketchup doesn't ruin.
>>
>>7082990
we don't actually do that. the british soldiers saw use soldiers doing it when they were in europe but they only did it cause the food there was so terrible. make a salmon loaf.
>>
I want to try the Alton Brown meatloaf with chips in it
>>
>>7082990
because ketchup is fucking delicious on meatloaf. the sugars caramelize and its dank AF senpai desu
>>
>>7082995
I'm with this guy. I heat up sauce and put it on top.

I usually throw whatever I want into it. you said different, what do you usually put in it? Don't tell me just seasoned beef...
>>
>>7083036
>senpai desu
faggot.
>>
I've never understood the ketchup on meatloaf thing. Especially putting it on before you cook it. The ketchup just develops a gross skin in the oven. It doesn't add anything to the cooking process; you might as well add it afterwards.
>>
>>7083043
nothing special
beef, breadcrumbs (might not put them this time because i have so much beef), egg, spices, onion, garlic you know pretty basic
>>
cheese stuffed

bacon wrapped
>>
>>7083106
Oh actually this guy is right! Last meatloaf I made I tried the "bacon wrap" method. Holy shit it was delicious.

I know it's looked down upon here because everyone is so high and mighty, but fuck it. Bacon wrapped meatloaf is damn tasty.

Caramelize some onions, saute some peppers and garlic, throw some cheese in the mix too and wrap it up. You'll like it. And like I said earlier, don't use ketchup, heat up some tomato sauce.
>>
For my last meatloaf, I used cornstarch instead of breadcrumbs and I really liked the difference in texture it made. Springy.

My basic meatloaf is beef-based: mirepoix caramelised in tallow, the leanest mince I can find and Oxo in place of salt. I allow the mirepoix to cool completely before mixing it with beef. I add Oxo to taste (yes, I taste bits of raw beef; it's not gonna kill you) and finally stir in breadcrumbs (or, from now on, cornflour/cornstarch) until I get the right texture.
Dump the mixture into a loaf pan and let it do its thing in the oven.

I typically serve it with beef-and-onion gravy, sautéed green cabbage (or brussels sprouts) and mash whipped with cream. Also either buttered carrots, parsnips or both with minced onion.
English as fuck.
>>
File: 1445503281392.png (173 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1445503281392.png
173 KB, 300x250
>>7083043
Nothing weird. Seasoned beef, bread crumb, egg, spices, top with tomato sauce and bake. The weirdest I've tried is mixing in grated parmesan, comes out great. I've also made it with ground turkey, chicken, bison, and mixed pork with beef, all come out fine. I've never mixed in bits of cooked bacon but someday I will, I'm sure it would work great. One time my ex mixed in ranch style beans because we were out of breadcrumbs, wanted to slap her. Was just edible but not awful.
>>
Not OP, but this thread is incredible welcome since this is my first time in /ck/

Any recipes? I want to stay away from ones that wrap pastry or do much other fancy shit. also a fan of ketchup
>>
>>7083194

That was me, my net was fucking lagging so I didnt load any other posts until now, thanks for input everyone
>>
>>7082996

What the fuck are you talking about?

Was this WW2?
>>
>>7083244
yeah.
>>
>>7082990
I used to make my meatloaf with crushed cheese puff potato "chips" in there with the meat.
Then I topped it with ketchup in which I had previously added and blended some dried figs.
Fite me.
>>
>>7082990
Here's my recipe
2 lbs beef
1 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 cup cream
2 roasted bell peppers
1 onion
2 celery stalks
1 tsp salt
1/2tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
chop shit up, set aside some of the veggies, mix together
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
some wine
some cream
saute veggies, then make roux, add liquids, let cook for a little bit, put it in a thing
then mix 1/2 cup of ketchup in with it, cover the meatloaf with it, cook at 350 degrees for like, an hour and 25 minutes or so.
Sorry not all of the measurements are exact, it's my own recipe.
Also, people use ketchup because it's sweet and tangy, but I personally wouldn't use pure ketchup, seems like a missed opportunity for flavor to me.
>>
File: fbfood7 - Copy.jpg (93 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
fbfood7 - Copy.jpg
93 KB, 960x720
>>
>>7083612
Other than the peas and carrots (which look overcooked to me, sorry), I fucks with it. Do you make your meatloaf in a circular cake pan rather than a loaf pan?
>>
File: IMAG0921.jpg (652 KB, 1088x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0921.jpg
652 KB, 1088x1920
>>7083582
Pic related. Actually made it for dinner tonight
>>
>>7083813
Ayo lemme come git sum nigga, I'll bring tha bread
>>
>>7083877
Okay
>>
>>7083194
Meatloaf
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup diced white mushrooms
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons A1 Steak Sauce or ketchup
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
Glaze;
2 tablespoon brown sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Preheat oven to 350F.
Pan fry the onions, bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil until soft. Turn off heat and add garlic. Stir to heat.
Combine beef, onion mix, egg, soy sauce, A1, spices, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Form 4 mini loaves and place in baking dish.
Mix together brown sugar, ketchup, brown mustard, liquid smoke, pepper and paprika. Spread over tops of loaves.
Bake 45 minutes, cool 5 minutes before serving.
>>
>>7083194
Italian Meatloaf
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 white mushrooms, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound pork sausage
3/8 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
dash crushed rosemary
dash marjoram
dash sage
1 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup marinara sauce
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the onions, peppers and mushrooms. Cook until tender, then turn heat off and add garlic. Remove from heat.
Combine the ground beef with the onion mix, egg, parmesan, worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, bread crumbs, spices, salt and pepper. Form into 2 mini loaves and place in baking dish. Spread marinara on top.
Bake 45 minutes, let cool 5 minutes.
>>
>>7082990
liquid smoke/bacon mixed in
50/50 pork/beef
seasoned bread crumbs
mustard
what ever else you want
>>
Don't use plain ketchup, use a mix of ketchup, mustard and molasses. This forms a sticky, slightly caramelized flavor glaze on top of your meatloaf. It's delicious.
>>
>>7083612
smfh that looks absolutely gross 2bh.
>>
>>7082996
Homer literally puts ketchup on meatloaf in The Simpsons
>>
If i make a tomato sauce instead of the ketchup one, do i put it on top of the loaf and then put it on oven or do i just eat the sauce with it
>>
>>7085415
I'd put it on top.
>>
>>7085415

The point is to use it as a glaze, not a sauce. Put it on before it goes in the oven.
>>
>>7082990
Ketchup glaze on meatloaf is one of very few ways I enjoy ketchup. I think my glaze is just ketchup and brown sugar. I only learned to appreciate this glaze in adulthood. As a child we had gravy because my siblings and I resented the ketchup.
>>
http://foodwishes.blogspot.fi/2014/05/prison-style-meatloaf-how-to-stretch.html

This is a great recipe.
>>
>>7085151
Americans don't act like the Simpsons. Most of us are like king of the hill. At least in Texas.
>>
>>7082990
http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/meatloaf-express-61802

Adding spices and some parmesan cheese to this recipe is a good idea, plus it still tastes good cold. Dinner for nearly a week.
>>
>>7087541
yup.
>>
>>7087541
>Most of us are like king of the hill. At least in Texas
that's because it's set in texas. you've never actually left your meth town, have you

anyway I don't watch TV, but we used ketchup growing up, I'm originally from south dakota
>>
>>7089340
>south dakota
>the south america of the dakotas
>>
>>7083813

clean your kitchen you dirty nigger
>>
>>7089357
I'm really trying to figure out what you found so dirty. The back splash and counters are patterned, not solid white.
>>
I'm actually making a meatloaf tonight for dinner. What's everyone's favorite glaze to make for the meatloaf? I usually heat up some tomato sauce but I figured I'd try a "traditional" ketchup glaze.

Ketchup, some brown sugar, mustard (dry or dijon?) What else? Maybe some Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.