[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God tier recipe for thin base pizza, also best way to get that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
God tier recipe for thin base pizza,

also best way to get that "italian" wood oven crispiness in a conventional over..
>>
>>7082597
>conventional over.
It can't be done really. Electric and gas ovens don't get hot enough to cook pizza properly.
>>
>>7082597
Can't be done. You need an oven that can get somewhere between 700-800 degrees F to do that.
>>
>>7082599
heard using a stone works, what's the crack with that
>>
>>7082622
The stone is a plus, but it doesn't make the oven any hotter
>>
>>7082622
Won't make much of a difference, pizza stones don't work unless the oven is hot enough.
Gas and electric ovens just don't cut it.
>>
>>7082628
i've experimented with different recipes.. thin ones work best, no cigar.. Guess i just gotta build a brick oven
>>
>>7082637
>thin ones work best,
All pizza is thin crust, mate.
>>
>>7082639
all crust is pizza mate
>>
>>7082628
The stones help to wick some of the moisture away from the bottom of the crust while it bakes so it does help the crust get a little crispier than baking it on a pan. But yeah, home ovens simply don't get hot enough to have the same effect as a wood/coal fired brick oven.

You can pull it off reasonably well on a grill sometimes but unless you have an oven that will get upwards of 800-900 degrees, it's just not the same.
>>
So, what's your favourite pizza recipe?
>>
File: emile-henry-pizza-stone-1-c.jpg (13 KB, 574x459) Image search: [Google]
emile-henry-pizza-stone-1-c.jpg
13 KB, 574x459
>>7082628
>Won't make much of a difference
Stones make a big difference. Unless its a crappy $10 one which I have used as well as a great $50 one. That said, there is an obvious difference just from one stone to another, so clearly will be a difference between a steel pan and a stone, and the way they are used.

I went from sliding a cold steel pan with the pizza on it into an oven, to sliding the raw pizza onto a high quality stone that is HOT. Always have used max temp. for my oven, 550f. The differences is incredible. You're clearly unaware of this, and you shouldn't be giving "advice" about it. Yes, it won't make your 550f electric oven into a 850f wood fired brick oven, but I'm not trying to say it will. I'm saying that there is absolutely a difference. Various differences.

>>7082597
Your best option is pic related. Emile Henry stone. They run around $50, as implied above.
>>
>>7083003
>it won't make your 550f electric oven into a 850f wood fired brick oven
Found the flaw....
>>
sourdough. set up a starter, it's really easy. store it in your fridge and when you want to use it, wake it up and feed it. the great thing about a starter is it means you don't have to buy yeast.
>>
>>7083040
And part of the point was that it doesn't need to do that. But good job of ignoring the main point about how there is absolutely a difference between a steel pan and a good stone (the whole past, save for the one sentence fragment you quoted). Which is, after all a lot more of a help to OP than your "u kant lol" perspective. Unless OP is going to build a brick oven now. If not, the stone is the best alternative, and will get the pizza closer to what they are wanting to do than not using it will.
>>
You can't really replicate the flavor imparted by a wood oven in a conventional oven, but you can sure as hell get pretty close to creating a crust that is crisp, but airy and chewy, like a wood oven, and the way to do that is to use a pizza stone, and the broiler in your oven.

Adjust the oven rack until you can get your pizza stone as close to the broiler as possible. I'm still adjusting my height, but for now my stone is about 3 inches below the broiler element in my oven, which sits at the TOP of my oven.

Pre-heat that fucker on broiler mode for 45 mins to an hour so as to get the stone nice and hot.

Once the oven is heated, prep your pizza on a pizza peel, a wood cutting board, or whatever, and make sure you can slide that fucker onto your stone. Then open the oven, and slide that fucker right on the stone, and quickly close the oven.

I let it cook for 2.5 minutes, pull it out and rotate, and let it cook for another 2.5 minutes, and then it's usually DONE. I have found that the quality of the crust is not improved much at all the longer I cook it beyond 5 minutes, so I don't.

You'll have to adjust your times based on your oven though.

Tips:

Use bread flour - I've had better results with it than AP flour, as AP flour makes the crust much more dense and harder to chew.
Use a dough recipe that has sugar - Whether sugar, or honey, or whatever, the sugars will help act as a browning agent in the low heat of our shitty ovens.
Make sure all of your toppings are at room temp before topping your pizza - Helps keep the heat up and cooking time low.
Sweat your cheese before you top - I place my cheese on top of the heated oven long enough for the heat to draw out some liquid from the cheese, and then sop it up with a paper towel. This helps keep your pizza from getting soggy from all that excess liquid.
Use a cold fermentation - Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, and up to 3 days.

Good luck.
>>
Google baking steel - You only need something with enough capacitance to be heated and stay heated, and turn your broiler on above it until the desired temperature is reached. It may fuck with your oven to have a sheet within it radiating temperatures above what it's rated for, but it'll get you your fucking pizza.
>>
>>7083172
>Google baking steel

Dear god, this looks so good!
>>
Nigger file the self cleaning lock off your oven and use that for cooking pizza
>>
>>7083164
This guy knows what he's doing. I disagree with the sugar/honey bit but I guess that's a matter of taste.

The hardest part of making good Pizza at home is learning how to handle the dough and finding an ingredient ratio that gets you good results with the temperature you're baking at.

If your first Pizza sucks just make more, eventually you'll get the hang of it and your pies will beat most local Pizzerias.
>>
If you have a stone, that's great.

If not, partially bake the base first, add toppings and finish it off
>>
File: pony-beads-sun-catcher2.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
pony-beads-sun-catcher2.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
Just get one of those pans with the holes in it. Mine works perfectly.
>>
Ghetto alternative to a pizza stone is placing the pan at the bottom of the oven for the first five minutes or so.
>>
>>7082597

>best way to get that "italian" wood oven crispiness in a conventional oven.

First of all, anyone who rolls out a pizza with a rolling pin should be shot; second , Neapolitan pizzas are not particularly crispy. In fact they are somewhat soft.

Neapolitan in home oven:

0. Have an oven with a top broiler

1. Buy a pizza stone or steel

2. Put it on the next to highest rack in your oven

3. Preheat the steel/stone in oven for at least 1 hr at highest temp your oven can do

4. Make your pizza and put it on the peel

5. Turn on your ovens broiler and wait to see the orange glow

6. Lauch your pizza on the steel/stone

7. Broil until it stops being orange, which should be about 1-2 minutes.

8. Clear broiler and turn oven back on at full temp.

9. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.

10. Enjoy.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.