[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you ever eaten bear meat? I hear it's greasy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1435798851889.jpg (74 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1435798851889.jpg
74 KB, 900x900
Have any of you ever eaten bear meat? I hear it's greasy, but I never got to try any myself.

>pic related, lived on bear meat for a full decade before killing tiny baby men
>>
>>7081726
It's tough, even the lean cuts are chewy enough that you'd need to braise them. It also smells shitty, and it outrageously expensive because bears live a long time and breed slowly.
>>
Bear fat is pretty tasty. But good luck getting any.
>>
File: 1434612703677.png (87 KB, 221x222) Image search: [Google]
1434612703677.png
87 KB, 221x222
>>7081732

So it's not even good enough as survival rations? That part about it being expensive makes me feel like it would be better if I just went to the store and bought some hot pockets.

I did consider the option of killing the bear for the fresh meat, but I hear alot of them are protected species. Also, they're none too willing to just give their meat to you.
>>
>>7081726
yep. nothing to write home about. toughest beef you've ever eaten, with a "gamy" flavor that overshadows even that of the oldest and biggest wild hog you can imagine
they eat carrion, you see...
>>
my gandfather from finland had some bear meat for christmas.
His only comment on the taste was, that it tastes "very dark"
Whatever that means...i forgot to mention that he's got the good ol' alzheimer.
But yeah, he was the only person who i've ever talked to,
who ate bear.
>>
File: kuma1.jpg (187 KB, 703x1396) Image search: [Google]
kuma1.jpg
187 KB, 703x1396
they eat from the trash and their meat tastes tainted, like really bad. strong smell of urine too

pic related
>>
>>7081726
I've had bear sausage. That was pretty tasty
>>
I've never tried it, that saying I certainly would try it given the chance. There's no way to know what something tastes like unless it's tried.
>>
>>7081855
Bears arent really good to kill. For hunting, the higher up on the food ladder you go, the less of that species there are and the more impact killing one has. So even if it isn't protected, killing one will very likely harm the nerby enviroment
>>
>>7082170
Black bears are everywhere.
>>
File: 1393123766128.jpg (61 KB, 320x304) Image search: [Google]
1393123766128.jpg
61 KB, 320x304
>>7082249

so? that gives you the right to gun them down? black lives matter.
>>
>>7082267
Hunting helps fund multiple conservation groups. It's fine.
>>
File: hirvenkaato_d3Skeranen.jpg (327 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
hirvenkaato_d3Skeranen.jpg
327 KB, 640x427
>>7081726
As with all hunted animals and especially bigger game like bears, quality of the meat is very dependent on how good the hunter is.
Firstly, landing a clean shot on calm animal that kill fast, since stress elevates adrenaline production, which causes the muscles to tense up through pH change.
Secondly field dressing the animal the minute it's shot to prevent bacteria running wild ruining the meat and promote loss of bodyheat. Skinning and freezing the carcass with haste is also obviously important for the quality of end result.
If you fuck it up, which is easy, you end up with "tough and gamey" instead of "delicious".
Then again if you're used to eating industrialized cow and pork any wild meat will taste a bit strange no matter what.
imo
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.