[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to make some risotto for you guys. Yes, my shellfish is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_1224.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1224.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
About to make some risotto for you guys.

Yes, my shellfish is out of date, but it's frozen, so im not too bothered, and it was cheap. I've only just noticed they keep this shit frozen for 2 years.

Anyway, here are most of the ingredients, its fairly straight forward
>>
File: IMG_1225.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1225.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080265
First step, dice the onion and start to soften in oil.

I would prefer to use shallot. However, when I go shopping I almost always buy an onion so that when I use self scan, I can weigh meat and fish with the onion, and get everything a lot cheaper. As a result, I have a lot of onions.
>>
File: IMG_1226.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1226.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080274
At some point during the onion cooking, I add chopped garlic, salt and pepper.

The onions are softened now. Next will be toasting the rice
>>
File: IMG_1227.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1227.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080284
Toasting that rice. About 200 grams. Should be enough for a few servings.
>>
File: IMG_1228.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1228.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Slowly start adding stock to the rice.

Im using Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot. Why? Because it tastes good. You should try it.
>>
>>7080265
>>7080274
good thread op
im monitoring.
>>
File: IMG_1232.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1232.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080322
Whilst the rice and Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot get to know each other, I minced some garlic for cooking the shellfish, shredded some parsley and grated the cheese.

I cant afford Parmesan since im broke as fuck. I didnt like the cheese that much on its own, but it should be fine for risotto.
>>
File: IMG_1233.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1233.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080335
The rice is cooked.

Add in the cheese and parsley. Also add in a large spoonful of butter.

I should have mentioned, after toasting the rice, you should add white wine or vermouth. I dont keep white wine, and the vermouth is in a box currently buried under a stack of paper, so i didnt bother with that either.
>>
File: IMG_1234.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1234.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080350
Defrosted the shellfish in cold running water, fried it in butter with minced garlic.

I fucked up though, the pan wasnt hot enough (because the cooker is shit) and therefore the water coming from the shellfish didnt evaporate, further cooling the pan. I rescued it a bit though. Drained the shellfish water and put it back on the heat. Prawns and scallops came out ok, but the squid was a bit rubbery.
>>
File: IMG_1235.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1235.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080363
Return the rice to the pan. I had much more rice than this. Enough for another 2 or 3 meals probably.

Added the drained shellfish juice back because its good flavour. Adjusted seasoning and it was good to eat.
>>
>>7080265
>that cheap comte
You fucked up
>>
File: IMG_1236.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1236.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080378
This was too much for one serving. But people were getting in my way so I just put it all on the plate so that I didnt have to talk to them any more.

>>7080379
Yeah, I'd never tried it before. Dont like it on its own, but it was acceptable in a risotto. If I could afford Parmesan I would buy that. I won't be buying Comte again.
>>
File: marco.png (232 KB, 415x301) Image search: [Google]
marco.png
232 KB, 415x301
>knorr stockpot
>>
File: IMG_1237.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1237.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7080390
Had some pretty fucking good apple juice too.
>>
>>7080390
don't like cheap parmesan?
>>
>Comte for 62p

Jealous mate I fucking love Comte.
>>
>>7080411
I've never seen cheap Parmesan. As you can see, I mostly buy reduced foods on account of my financial situation.

I did have a look for some Parmesan today, and it was £3 for a tiny piece. I could have gone to a different shop but for the effort, I just stuck with what I already had. Plus I wanted to use it up since Im not likely to eat it otherwise.
>>
>>7080421
Youre welcome to it. It's really not for me. I like my cheese to comfort me, and Comte certainly doesnt do that.
>>
>>7080390
pretty good cook along OP still looks like a solid enough meal with not too much effort. I hate it when my roommates try to get in the way when I'm actually cooking too.

this fucker puts hard pasta in a pot, adds cold water, sets it to high and walks away. then puts it on a plate and pours curry his mom makes on it and microwaves. he makes it twice a day and insists on always doing it when I use the stove. fuck you
>>
>>7080265
>Frozen seafood
>No Parmesan
>No butter in risotto
>No vegetables
>Only herb is parsley
>No peppers to spice it a little

Meh/10.
Would try it to humour you, but would cook my own and make you eat it to learn what proper risotto is like.
>>
>>7080483
Comté is good eating though.
>>
>>7080421
That's cheap shitty comte. Don't buy comte unless it has the green label, that's he hasn't highest grade of it
>>
>>7080483

>Frozen seafood
Agreed, its pretty poor quality. I could spend 3 times as much on seafood and get fresh stuff. I only bought this because it was so cheap. Normally £6, but reduced to £3. I wouldnt have paid £6 for it, but Im also not going to pay £10 for fresh seafood just to make myself a fucking risotto

>No parmesan
I have no argument. I would have prefered it too. But we make do with what we can afford

>No butter
Cant you read? Please see >>7080350

>No vegetables
What vegetables would you put in your risotto?

>Only herb is parsley
What other herbs would you put in?

>No peppers to spice it a little
Spicy pepper risotto? Sounds disgusting
>>
>>7080523
I like mushrooms in my risotto
>>
>>7080265
Make mine with extra love OP.
>>
>>7080523

>What vegetables would you put in your risotto?

with seafood - fennel, tomato, leek, mushroom, radicchio, chilli, peas, cauliflower
>>
>>7080492
Ah, wasn't aware of that. Just checked and the Morrisons stuff I get has it so I thankfully haven't been munching plebeian Comte all this time.
>>
>>7080550
Fennel, leeks and peas are all ok. I could have also done spinach I guess.

I love mushroom risotto, but I dont think that mushroom and shellfish really work together, unless its some kind of truffle. For me, chilli doesnt work in a risotto either. I like my risotto to be creamy, not spicy. There are plenty of spicy rice dishes in the world.

Ive never tried radicchio. Cauliflower is an interesting idea. I love the flavour but hate the texture so dont really use it unless im making a puree or soup.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 640x495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 640x495
>College fees season
So what are you guys eating this season?
Literally subsisting on carrots and spring onions. Plus I've been sneakily picking beans beside the park. Just fucking kill me.
>>
>>7080583

creamy and spicy are not mutually exclusive. hello laksa

cauliflower puree is a common accompaniment to pan roasted scallops, could be nice folded through a risotto. i like mushrooms and shellfish together personally, they go into a lot of fish stocks as well
>>
>>7080592
Yeah there are plenty of creamy spicy dishes I do like. Most of the curry in the UK is designed for British taste and are very creamy but with some spice.

The only puree ive put through risotto is butternut squash. Its nice to do, but its more effort than I would go to just to feed myself. I dont make fish stock though. Aint nobody got time for that.
>>
>>7080483
>>7080523
>>No Parmesan

You don't add cheese to seafood risotto. To pimp it a bit you could have bought some cheap white wine.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.