[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you grind and brew your coffee, /ck/? I got this Hario
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: hario.jpg (46 KB, 470x345) Image search: [Google]
hario.jpg
46 KB, 470x345
How do you grind and brew your coffee, /ck/? I got this Hario and just use a French press. Grind what I need when I need it. So good I can drink it black for the first time. Never knew coffee could be so top tier. Sometimes I have an espresso, but generally I want a more substantial cup.

You?
>>
good job

now stop buying that stale supermarket shit and look into independent roasters
>>
Hario Skerton and a Clever Dripper
>>
>>7080027
I always buy from local roasters, anon. They sell their shit everywhere.
>>
>>7080027
But the supermarket is a distributor for my local roasters
>>
ek43, v60
>>
For grinding, I use a Hario mini mill before a month ago when I bought a Barratza Encore. Tests have shown that they have equal consistency, but it's nice not having to manually grind.

For brewing, Aeropress and French Press.
>>
>>7080012
How long have you been using it? I really like that grinder but after a while the nut on top (on which you put the handle) got so damaged that it didn't have any grip anymore.
>>
>>7080166
A few weeks. I brush out the coffee dust of the burrs when I'm done. The nut isn't damaged for me.
>>
>>7080157
>Tests have shown that they have equal consistency

I doubt that. Those low end hand grinders have a floating lower burr, which makes the grind consistency progressively worse as the burr gap increases in distance.
>>
File: 41rA4B16alL._SY300_.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41rA4B16alL._SY300_.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
>>7080179
Yeah, I've heard that with the Mini Mill. I upgraded from a blade "grinder" so I'm just happy I've got what I have. Maybe when I save up some more I can get a Bodum automatic. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>7080027
>he doesn't roast his own bean
Are you even trying
>>
>>7080179
The Skerton has a floating burr, not the Mini Mill.
>>7080191
Spend $30 more and get the Encore
>>
File: IMG_20151116_162807.jpg (838 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151116_162807.jpg
838 KB, 1944x2592
>>7080297
This Skerton no longer has the floating burr problem thanks to some dude on rebbit. $6.12 from Shapeways.
>>
>>7080191
Got one of those Bodums on sale a while back, it's OK.

'course it was on sale because nobody wanted the ugly red and green versions at all.
>>
>>7080297
Alright, thanks anon.
>>
>>7080297
>The Skerton has a floating burr, not the Mini Mill.
They both do.
>>
>>7080638
Yeah, use a rubber band.
>>
>>7080297
My baratza encore died after two years. Anyone have another recommendation in the $100-150 range
>>
>>7080707
Baratza is the only good thing in that price range, unless you want to go back to manual with a LIDO. Much better quality, but manual.
>>
Cozyna hand-grinder, it does the job. It's a bitch to hand-grind anything non-coarse though.

I've been really enjoying my french press. I use a moka pot for the pre-ground lavazza and bustelo. Once I use up the 2 lb bag of good-enough beans I'm going to splurge and get something third-wave.

What do you guys think about pour-overs? Any real difference between it and french press?

Also, do you guys use milk and sugar? All of a sudden I feel like a kek for using 2 teaspoons of sugar.
>>
Hario Skerton with Orphan Espresso burr stabilizer to grind.
Chemex to brew.
Generally beans from Ladro, Stumptown, or Kuma depending on mood/availability.
>>
>>7080337
How easy was the install? I have something similar from Orphan Espresso, but it's a bitch to install.
>>
>>7080837
Pourovers are nice. Milk and sugar, just do what you like honestly. But always try it black so you can add to taste.
>>
>>7080837
Pour over changed how I view coffee.
Always worth giving a try.
I was surprised at the variance in flavor between different pour over methods, so might be worth trying a few different styles.

All that said, some people like more body and will be happier with French press
>>
>>7080981
It snaps over the shaft. Only need to remove the upper burr. Easy pease
>>
>>7081093
Does it still allow for adjustment back to finer grinds? Or would it need to be removed first?
>>
File: 1387811873619.jpg (370 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1387811873619.jpg
370 KB, 1280x960
>>7080337
>reddit makes coffee better
>/ck/ pretends to be vegan to "troll" itself hundreds of times a week and has endless arguments about regional fast food chains
why have I wasted the last 9 years of my life here
>>
>>7081130
It does not inhibit adjustment like the OE mod
>>
>>7081131
This isn't where you go if you want to do anything but circlejerk about fast food.
>>
>>7080707
Why not fix it? They sell parts.
>>
File: Skerton-Image.jpg (35 KB, 490x365) Image search: [Google]
Skerton-Image.jpg
35 KB, 490x365
i heard this thing can't do fine enough for espresso or moka pots
is that true?
>>
>>7080240
I bet you don't even grow your own.
>>
*grinds fedora*
>>
>>7082512
They grind fine better than coarse honestly.

>>7082584
I just want good coffee...
>>
>>7082590
il be using this for both french press and moka
is there something better in the price range that can cover both of those? I don't want to spend more than $50 ideally.
>>
>>7082590
Well, now you just make me feel bad.
Sorry.
>>
>>7082592
Get a Skerton and that thing that stabilizes the burr. I only have a Mini because I grind
one cup at a time. I use a rubber band to stabilize mine.
>>
Anyone know a good place to get a real skerton shipped quickly for a reasonable price?

Right now it's looking like my options are a store like sweet maria's which is going to take fifty years to ship, a local store which is going to cost $50, and amazon which sells counterfeits.
>>
>>7082662
Local if you can, honestly.
>>
>>7082662
Is there a way to tell if my Mini Mill is counterfeit?
>>
>>7082669
Yeah but $50 for a damm skerton? I feel like I might as well get a mazzer mini
>>
>>7082679
No vertical grooves on the glass = counterfeit
White ceramic burr instead of grey = counterfeit
Brown box instead of Hario printed box = counterfeit
>>
>>7082688
Alright, mine's real.
>>
>>7082556
>he doesn't breed his own coffee plants
>>
What's a decent enough grinder for turkish coffee that's affordable (less than 100$ preferably)? The only coffee shop around that grinds it for me is some hippie store that's grossly overpriced.
>>
File: pestle.jpg (71 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
pestle.jpg
71 KB, 1200x1200
>>7082963
I'm not fucking with you, Anon. This is probably the best way to do it for that price.
>>
what are some good meme press alternatives? I hate taking the time to clean out the filters
>>
>>7082973
This for real? I did consider buying a mortar for other purposes so I might as well try grinding some beans on it then.
>>
>>7082981
>Meme Press

Just make "cowboy coffee" if you're that against it. Don't use the filter on your Meme Press but use it like you would without it.
>>
>>7082983
Pls don't be retarded. The mortar will be covered in fine coffee that will seep into what ever else you are grinding in it.
Get a grinder for spices, get a grinder for coffee.
If you are poor use a mortar for spices and a hand cranked ceramic grinder for coffee.
If you have 30 euro/dollars more then you can already get a decent electric grinder such as the Wilfa Svart Presisjon WSCG-2.
>>
>>7082989
Well the problem has more to do with my roommates being sloppy fucks so the sink is always full of dishes. I like the french press, but I really could use something that's easier to clean out
>>
>>7083004
Maybe try pourover, where there's only one filter that you throw away?
>>
>>7082981
>literally rinsing
>>
File: ae454.jpg (186 KB, 850x780) Image search: [Google]
ae454.jpg
186 KB, 850x780
>>7083004
Why not get one of these? Costs like 2 euro from Tiger.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.