[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
soda without processed ingredients?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 19
File: GlassOfSoda.jpg (23 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
GlassOfSoda.jpg
23 KB, 300x400
Hey, are there any sodas that are made without stuff like high frucose corn syrup? You know, just made with stuff like water, natural sugars, carbonation, natural flavors etc?

Are they any good?
>>
File: sodastream-650x650.jpg (66 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
sodastream-650x650.jpg
66 KB, 650x650
Get a sodastream and make it yourself senpai desu uguu kawaii peepeepie
>>
>>7078009
Yes to both questions.
>>
File: 719CazfOfxL._SL1500_.jpg (176 KB, 1500x607) Image search: [Google]
719CazfOfxL._SL1500_.jpg
176 KB, 1500x607
Pepsi. Have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>7078009
>thinking there's a meaningful difference between hfcs and "natural sugars"
lmaoing @ ur life kiddo
>>
>>7078016
Soda stream is hot fucking garbage. My wife got one for free through some promotion and every single beverage tasted like ass. I was holding out hope that maybe Coke or Pepsi would start selling syrups but nope. Just generic dollar store grade shit.
>>
>>7078031
I just saw a thing yesterday about pepsi selling syrups for it senpai
>>
>>7078027

Hell, does soda even need sugar? Why not just have a carbonated beverage with spices or fruit flavors or shit? Why does the sugar have to be there?
>>
>>7078009
You could make some lemonade yourself
>>
>>7078072
Anon, people like sweet things.

I mean, sure, it's okay if you prefer a fruit sweetened drink, but sugar water is enjoyed for a reason.
>>
>>7078031
there's a difference between the carbonator and the syrups it comes with you mouthbreather.
>>
File: 91Nb0SY3LXL._SX522_.jpg (42 KB, 522x387) Image search: [Google]
91Nb0SY3LXL._SX522_.jpg
42 KB, 522x387
>>7078072
Teachers at my elementary school loved this shit.
>>
>>7078083
>implying I didn't buy other brand syrups

Get a real job astroturfer.
>>
>>7078027

But hfcs is definitely processed, right? I mean its different than just normal sugar
>>
>>7078135
Oh boy, here we go.
>>
>>7078009
Mexican soft drinks are made with real sugar and they taste really good. They have one called peƱafiel is more expensive than regular coke but according to them has natural flavors and natural mineral water.
>>
File: umarudance.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
umarudance.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>7078152
>>
>>7078072
fruits contain sugars. A "sugarless fruit beverage" is going to taste like absolute garbage
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 406x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 406x362
These are bomb af
-30 calories per bottle and taste awesome
>>
>>7078009
You realize that being natural is not a fundamentally good thing?
HFCS is just another kind of sugar
>>
File: 1416576208379.jpg (27 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1416576208379.jpg
27 KB, 720x439
>>7078167

>-30 calories
>>
File: image.png (212 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
212 KB, 640x1136
>>7078176

Dat sodium tho
>>
Fentiman's

And yes, they are excellent
>>
File: faggot_pop.jpg (31 KB, 350x275) Image search: [Google]
faggot_pop.jpg
31 KB, 350x275
Had a few of these I got from the hardware store a while back and they were pretty gud, I'm pretty sure they were just water, cane sugar and blueberries.
http://maineroot.com/sodas/blueberry/
>>
>>7078163

Yeah but they can leave those natural sugars in. Don't add in processed syrup.
>>
>>7078009
>>7078152
>>7078169
>>7078027
>>7078083
HFCS is a cheap alternative to sugar. It's only used extensively in the US because the US has high sugar prices globally speaking. The rest of the world makes soda with real sugar and it is way better.

Sugar(sucrose) is made of two components- glucose and fructose.
Corn syrup is only glucose. Adding fructose gives you essentially the same taste (close, but no cigar for me) as sugar, and because of its liquid form it ends up being high on the ingredient list of most items.

The reason sugar is expensive in the US is because of agricultural subsidies that insulate US sugar producers.

tl,dr; US uses HFCS because sugar is expensive here, the rest of the world uses real sugar
>>
>>7078358

When did the US go from real sugar to HFCS?
>>
Zevia?
>>
>>7078364
http://www.zevia.com/flavors/cola

There

I used to drink it, the health food store usually sold it
>>
>>7078361
It didn't. Companies probably started using HFCS when sugar prices rose and they needed/wanted to cut production costs.
>>
>>7078358
My problem with HFCS is the mouthfeel issue. HFCS-sweetened sodas aren't clean on the palate. They taste thick. Compare sugar-sweetened Coke versus Mexican coke and pay attention to the mouthfeel and how the phosphoric acid hits. Huge difference, and it's even more noticable with clear sodas.
>>
what's wrong? "chemicals" hurting your vagina?
>>
>>7078072
Had pickled plum soda at a Pho place once. Salty rather than sweet. Very interesting flavor. I'm not sure what was in it, but it didn't taste very artificial.
>>
>>7078490
>Be non-American
>Have coke from time to time
>Not a huge fan but don't hate it
>Go to America
>Coke tastes like ass

Bizarre, people in America told me to specifically ask for Mexican coke to get one without HFCS in it.
>>
File: 492649930117246_i5xV5ITQ_f.jpg (82 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
492649930117246_i5xV5ITQ_f.jpg
82 KB, 500x667
>>7078338
>ITT: people don't know that natural fruit sugar is mostly fructose and fructose will definitely make your dick fly off, not like that natural good healthy sucrose or glucose or maltose...
>ITT: people who can't clearly define what they think "processed" means, because it's something they were told to fear without any information as to why, except the alternative is surely healthier just more expensive
>when people care more about specific sugars despite them being processed by the body in the exact same way
>when people decry one regardless of the huge amount of calories an alternative will offer
>"It's made with ALL NATURAL RAW honey that makes it good for you!"
>IT'S STILL PURE. FUCKING. SUGAR.
>this is why vegetarians are fatties
sorry about the rant, carry on about soda
>>
Can humans just naturally taste artificial flavors?
>>
>>7078477

agree with this so hard. drinking HFCS is nasty because it feels like you're drinking syrupy goop
>>
>>7078072
yassssssss my nigga
>>
File: izzePA130108.jpg (108 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
izzePA130108.jpg
108 KB, 768x1024
>>7078009
Izze?
They label the products "sparkling juice" instead of soda. I've had the grapefruit, clementine, and pomegranate. They're okay.

Also maybe Joia? Not sure of their ingredients but they make fruit and spice sodas. I don't remember what it was paired with but I had one that was made with cloves.
>>
>>7078528
>>Be non-American
yeah okay whatever faggot. sorry you can't handle the taste of freedom.
>>
>>7078009
Hansen's Sodas are made as you describe, as are Mexican sodas. They are pretty decent.
>>
>>7078009
Go into any hipster-laden organic grocery store in the country and get store brand cola.
>>
>>7078530
Nah, it's just that if the company making the product is cheaping out on what they use to sweeten whatever the product is, they're probably cutting corners elsewhere also.
>>
>>7078272
Their Dandelion and Burdock is too good. I reuse the glass bottles afterwards for water and because the little corgi is cute.
>>
Just drink juice
>>
>>7078530
fruit is ocay because there is fiber.
>>
>>7078361
About the time corn syrup was cheaper than sugar and companies thought consumers would be okay with the change.
>>
>>7078115
That's only good for mixing with liquor
>>
did you know that corn syrup is made from nothing but corn? Yall are bat shit retarded.
>>
File: mexicancoke.jpg (18 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
mexicancoke.jpg
18 KB, 219x230
This.
Uses cane sugar.
>>
>>7078946
Where i live they make all sodas with sugar. I guess that hfcs is just some north american bullshit desu
>>
>>7078477
this is the only correct reason to dislike HFCS
>>
>>7078027
>thinking there's a meaningful difference between hfcs and "natural sugars"
HFCS has a higher Fructose content and seemingly increases Apetite.
>>
>>7078135
Just because it's processed doesn't make it magically bad. Hfcs will raise your blood sugar levels a little bit sharper and a little bit sooner than just the equivalent amount of fructose received from a fruit, but that's it. In other words, thinking you can just double up on fruit because it's 'natural and more healthy' is probably just as bad for you.

Soda is bad for you because of how much sugar is in it, not because the sugar is hfcs.
>>
>>7079447
>hfcs has more fructose than the sugars found in fruit
>the sugar found in fruit is fructose

Explain how hfcs contains more fructose in it than fructose itself.
>>
>>7079593
Fructose is bad in general. If you inject it with a drip you die.
>>
>>7079599
If you inject most things you will die
>>
>>7079599
So by that logic, soda is at least 50% healthier than fruits because hfcs is a monosaccharide of glucose and fructose.

All sugars are bad for us. Carbs are backup energies for our metabolism.
>>
I drink coke zero because I'm not a fatass like you autistic neckbeards.
>>
why wont you just drink seltzer and add shit to it.
>>
>drinking carbonated anything
Children, please
>>
>>7078218
>no sugar
So is it salt water?
>>
>>7079607
>Coke Zero
<Higher risk of cancer
>uhuh imnuhtautistik uhuhuhhuhh
>>
File: jarritos.png (874 KB, 1100x431) Image search: [Google]
jarritos.png
874 KB, 1100x431
>>
>muh processed evil food

This meme is just as bad, if not worse, than organics, all-natural, GMO-free food.
>>
>>7078218
Sparkling water has a tiny amount of sodium, always. It's not enough to do anything detrimental to your health.
>>
>>7078218
Sodoum isn't bad for you unless you don't drink water or have hypertension.
>>
File: molecules-naturalistic fallacy.jpg (62 KB, 584x212) Image search: [Google]
molecules-naturalistic fallacy.jpg
62 KB, 584x212
>>7078538
No.
>>
>>7078358
>>7078477
I guarantee you can not taste the difference. Mexican coke is better because of placebo and it coming in a glass bottle. Studies have demonstrated that American coke is more popular (even more popular than Mexican coke) when they're decanted into the same container
>>
>>7079680
Not him, but anything is bad in excess.

For sodium specifically, anything above 2g/day is "bad"... and yet, the average US consumption is 3.4g/day so, in general, you'll want to avoid a bit the stuff.

(Of course, this does not mean eating saltless rice pilaf or saltless beef - this would be masochism, not care for one's own health.)
>>
File: JONES-REBRAND-1.jpg (167 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
JONES-REBRAND-1.jpg
167 KB, 1600x1000
>nobody posted Jones
You're slipping, /ck/.
>>
>>7078009
>Hey, are there any sodas that are made without stuff like high frucose corn syrup?

It's called not being American.
>>
>>7080018
whats with those flashback war pictures.
>>
>>7080018
Any one get the delver cum at gp seatac last week?
>>
>>7078152
It's just refined sugar from different plants, it's not anymore unprocessed than soda with HFCS.

Some people might consider honey "unprocessed" as it's done by bees instead of a sugar refinery. If you accept honey as unprocessed, mead fits OP's description. I'm sure some boutique soda company is making honey soda too and trying to pass it of as a healthier alternative.

I think the only thing that really fits OP's description would be a naturally sweet fruit juice (OJ or strawberries) mixed with carbonated water.
>>
Costco stopped stocking them which is a pity since they're so hard to find.
>>
>>7079084
>I guess that hfcs is just some north american bullshit
Corn is heavily subsidized in the US, so it's dirt cheap to produce.
>>
>>7078009
I don't know if specialty sodas taste better because of the cane sugar or the cold glass bottle but they give a nice non-overpowering sweetness.

HFCS has a noticeable overly sweetness when compared side by side.

Neither is particular worse than the other healthwise.

I dont like paying $1.75 for a soda though.
>>
>>7078135
Using a sodastream device, bottled syrup, the plastics for the device and the bottles, the can of compressed CO2... Those were all plucked from 100% free range organically grown plastic/CO2 trees by virgin, native English speaking blonde maidens who are paid a fair wage.

There are other things that are even more wholesome because they are 100% natural: tsunamis, rattlesnake venom, botulism, camphlobacter, uranium, radon, arsenic, gravity, meteors, UV light, and about a million other things.
>>
>>7079599
>If you inject it with a drip you die.
This is literally the most retarded thing I've read all year. You know what else will kill you if you inject it? Water
>>
>>7079599
did you mean air senpai
>>
>>7080193
>sodastream
Literally genocide: the kitchen toy
>>
>>7078072
I think it does. San Pellegrino is much better than artificially-sweetened fizzy water.
>>
>>7078009
ask this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM
>>
>>7078009
Just buy a bottle of flavoring syrup (found at warehouse supermarkets) or make your own with your favorite fruit, boil, strain, add cane sugar.

Then buy carbonated water and mix.
Simple as fuck.

What I often do is add a drop of liquid concentrated essences (pic related) and use the "soda water" tab at a fountain machine. The stir in some sugar.
>>
>>7083310
>>
>>

Is this really true though? At least fruit has the vitamins/antioxidants/fiber etc to back it up its healthy content. Soda is just... sugar water. Comparing fruit to a mound of sugar seems disingenuous.
>>
>>7083404
>>>
>>
>>7079587
Is this really true though? At least fruit has the vitamins/antioxidants/fiber etc to back it up its healthy content. Soda is just... sugar water. Comparing fruit to a mound of sugar seems disingenuous.
>>
>>7080120

Whole foods is your other option but its Whole Foods
>>
File: batman-gmo.jpg (293 KB, 625x609) Image search: [Google]
batman-gmo.jpg
293 KB, 625x609
>Appeals to nature. Appeals to nature everywhere.
>>
>>7079851
>Studies have demonstrated that American coke is more popular (even more popular than Mexican coke) when they're decanted into the same container

Yes but Americans think brown colored vomit wax tastes better than chocolate, so their opinion is clearly invalid.
>>
>ITT: Corn Growers Internet Defence Force

calm down, Iowa
>>
Probably, and maybe respectively.
>>
>>7079835
>Lab made chemicals
>Almost costing a fraction of the resources of biological production
Nah nigga nah.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.