[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I believe food absolutely reflects a nation or culture and its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: LargeThumbnail.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
LargeThumbnail.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
I believe food absolutely reflects a nation or culture and its willingness to adopt and combine.

I am not proud of my country's infatuation with sugar. Jesus Christ, I never realized how much sugar or corn syrup is in foods that should never have sugar in the recipe to begin with. This realization came about when my teeth became sensitive and my palette shifted to liking spice and non sweets.

For one, baked beans differ here than in the UK. The difference is the loads of sugar we put into pinto beans. fucking gross.

Also alot of BBQ has sugar and the whitewashed Chinese culinary dishes is saturated with sugar.

It was only 5 years ago that Taco Bell decided to cater to spice rather than bland and i believe this reflects with the progressiveness of a nation to begin accepting minority culinary traditions. 10 years ago, you couldnt find any saracha flavored chips or heavily spiced stuffs. In fact, even restaurants that specialize in foreign recipes always had to water down in the taste department until it became a frequent request to allow more options.
Im sure in the future for america, spicy tripe and cumin based recipies will be a thing in the midwest.
>>
File: america-fuck-yeah-meme-17.jpg (25 KB, 288x270) Image search: [Google]
america-fuck-yeah-meme-17.jpg
25 KB, 288x270
I also would like to point out that the reason why some recipes involving sugar on vegetables and meats is to cater for children to eat when mom cant get them to.
>>
>>7077648
The thing about America is we get judged by the food companies that market the most. Fuckheads act like thats all we have available.
>>
Baked beans in New England have always been flavored with molasses or maple. Heinz baked beans have added sugar, as well.
>>
>>7077674
I also forgot to mention that baked beans are generally made with navy beans, rather than pinto.
>>
It's worth noting that sugar is an important part of our history here in the western hemisphere. Sugar as we know it today kind of came from here. Like corn and tomatoes, it's one of our culinary exports.
>>
>>7077663
its true tho. my point being that it was only recently that the market analysts looked into the majority and found out that saracha flavored things can be sold. This wouldnt happen 10 years ago. This is because as a nation, the people began to expand tastes that were usually only catered to a minority, like the Vietnamese.

Try opening an Indian restaurant to a small town of old retired white people and that will fail miserably. Now open that resturant in a city near a college town or financial industry and it will blossom. You gotta wonder why that is.
>>
every developed nation with packaged shelf-stable products adds refined sugar to its food, it's not just you guys.
>>
>>7077705

ever heard of hot wings nigger
>>
>>7077705
I live in a college town and every indian restaurant that opens up gets shut down within a year.

There's multitudes of Thai restaurants, though.
>>
>>7077648
excess sugar in our diet came from rationing.
all those weird jello recipes that get posted here? just moms making do with what they had.
cornflakes became frosted flakes because it was different from the other 100000 meals that were either bland or similar in taste.
as a result kids would eat whatever had the most sugar, parents would buy it because it was cheaper and everyone adjusted to the taste. try making everything (and i mean everything) from scratch for a month then go eat a slice of store bought bread. itll be sweet as fuck.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.