[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Allright chefs and chefettes. I am on an apple pie binge, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: exps6086_HB133235C07_19_4b.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
exps6086_HB133235C07_19_4b.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
Allright chefs and chefettes.

I am on an apple pie binge, and would like to know your prime pie recipes.

Crab apple pie was a sour kick to the mouth that was kind of rad.

ORange zest made it taste like orange pie with vague amounts of cinnamon.

What other additives exists outside of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar?

Are there additives to make my dough more amazing?

How can I incorporate honey into either the dough or pie? Would this be madness?

What is the purpose of weave pie top crusts?
>>
File: cheddar apple pie.jpg (53 KB, 560x419) Image search: [Google]
cheddar apple pie.jpg
53 KB, 560x419
melt some cheddar on there.
>>
my mom makes a MEAN apple and raisin pie.

everyone goes crazy for it.
put your bottom crust in the pan, bake it 5 mins or so, add the apples and raisins, and top with sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and dot with butter.
add top crust and puncture so you don't get fluffage.
it's pree good.

apple/pear can be a good combo too but use much more cinnamon.
>>
Ginger and cardamom are also really good with apples. You could certainly sweeten your filling with honey if you wanted to. Weave pie crusts are just for decoration.

As for pie crust; I knew a woman who baked pies for a living and everyone raved about her crust. After much nagging she told me the only thing she does that could be considered a secret is add vinegar to it. Not enough that you would taste it, apparently it works as a tenderizer. The rest of it is just proper technique.
>>
caramel apple pie
>>
>>7077455
>chefettes
>>
>>7078766
that looks vile now that I am aware it is cheese.
>>
I've seen people put custard in their pie filling.

I'd be more of a pour the custard over on top man myself, but it could work.

You could also try a crumble topping, instead of your standard pie crust top.
Add in lots of nuts and oat flakes with the standard crumble butter/sugar/flour mix, yum yum.
>>
my mum loves my apple and rhubarb pie
>>
>>7077455

I make a rather calory light apple pie.

Crust:

One and half cups of flour
1/5 cup of butter cut up
1/2 cup of water

>Flour and butter cut up together. Once crumbly slowly mix in the water until flour and butter form a ball. Put dough into freezer for 45 minutes to one hour.

Pie Filling:

>Four apples (2 red delicious, 2 Granny Smiths)
1/4 cup of Lemon juice
2 cups of water
3 tablespoons of Cinnamon plus two more Cinnamon
One tablespoon of sugar (optional)

>Peel then quarter the apples, Slice evenly, then cut each quarter apple down the middle.

>Once done pour lemon juice, water and first 3 tablespoons of Cinnamon.

>Mix then bring the apples to a boil until apples are soft.

>When done empty the pot into a Colander and drain the excess liquid. Once drained up the apple back into the pot and stir in the final two tablespoons of cinnamon and the optional single spoonful of sugar
>>
Try adding blanched, sweetened rhubarb to your apple pie fillings.
>>
>>7077455
ritz cracker apple pie
>>
Hey anon,,,the purpose of a woven top crust is to allow the liquid in the pie to reduce into a thick sauce so it won't be so runny when the rest of the pie is done. A real nice mellow aromatic spice to add into the dry ingredients for your pie crust is cardimum.
>>
>>7077455
I follow this from based chef john
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPh7svwCwc

except I do use extra cornstarch in the apples and add bourbon, lemon juice and nutmeg to the sauce.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.