[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whisky general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: lgvob.16yo.jpg (130 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
lgvob.16yo.jpg
130 KB, 540x720
Whisky general

Maybe to start post your favourite with the reason why you like it

So far my favourite is Lagavulin 16 yo. I know it's pretty mainstream but I can't get over how the peat mingles well with the taste from the casks.
>>
>>7077140
Nikka from the barrel.

Two reasons:
Firstly, I'm a weeaboo faggot.
Secondly, I enjoy the taste.
>>
Laga 16 is great stuff, there's nothing to apologize for

I used to drink a ton of whisky but I cut back a lot, usually when I do these days it's weeb shit. I really like Nikka Yoichi
>>
My father is an alcohol. I think, that I may be an alcohol too. I drink every day.

When I do not drink, I have nightmares, twichting. How do I stop drinking so I do not become alcohol?
>>
>>7077158
Just cut it out silly
>>
>>7077140
Can you name a whiskey where the peat doesn't "mingle with" the taste from the casks? Seems like a weird factor to be the highlight of the thing for you.
>>
>>7077140
My favorite currently is Old Pulteney 17. It has this weird banana/pear taste that is just so incredibly unique, but at the same time having this salty briney twist to it.

Love it.

For bourbon, I fucking love Elmer T Lee.
>>
I had the Scappa 16 for the first time a few months back and quite enjoyed it. It wasn't particularly complex as whiskies go, but it was very pleasant to drink.

Poor at the moment so can't buy as much whisky as I would otherwise. Got a bottle of Old Pulteney in the cupboard (whatever the 'base' age is, 10 or 12, I can't remember) which is again a pleasant enough whisky to have. Might buy an Islay (maybe Bruichladdich) in a couple of weeks since I want something a bit more peaty on hand too
>>
File: glendronach-15yo.jpg (116 KB, 522x1000) Image search: [Google]
glendronach-15yo.jpg
116 KB, 522x1000
I like this. It's sweet with toffee and dried fruits.

I dont really like too much scotch, especially not the Islay types. I prefer spiced rum or bourbon, but sherried scotch I also enjoy. This is an excellent representation of that.
>>
>>7077169
I'm not saying they don't always do in some way or another, I'm saying that I particularly like how the Lagavulin taste incorporates the aged peat
>>
>>7077180
Check out Glenfarclas 15.
>>
>>7077180
I like almost all styles of scotch whisky, rum from all of the major styles (meaning actual rum of course, not spiced garbage), and I like bourbon, and I really love sherry of all styles, but I CANNOT FUCKING STAND sherry cask whisky. It's like ruined scotch. Why, why, why. It needs to die in a fire, right now.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
>>
>>7077191
I chose between that and Glendronach. If youve ever seen a Youtube channel called Ralfystuff, he reviews whisky, and made Glendronach his whisky of the year one year, which swayed my decision.

Id be tempted to get a bottle of Glenfarclas when my Glendronach runs out. But it normally lasts a long time.
>>
>>7077194
... it's really not that bad you know. Also there's a ton of different ones, maybe you just haven't found yours yet
>>
>>7077208
Not previous anon but glad to know a fellow ralfy follower, he's a damn hero
>>
>>7077208
I've been subscribed to Ralfy for four years. What a magnificent man he is.
>>
>>7077158
It's the control over stopping that defines the problem. Phase it out. Don't try to make it hurt. Just consciously quit. Each night. Reach a nice point where you can sleep, and then pour the last one back in the bottle.
>>
>>7077216
>>7077218

He has some really great content.

Im by no means an experienced drinker, and certainly dont have the nose or taste to be able to detect the flavours that experience would bring, but im always sceptical when people start to list off 10+ flavours they can taste

>Im getting the scent or orange peel, but only from the left side of the orange
>There's some smoke, but it was clearly a windy day when the barrel was charred
>Oh yes and there is the caramel, but its very reminiscent of the caramel only produced in the south of France by a chef named Pierre

I dunno, sometimes it seems a little over the top
>>
>>7077238
Yeah, that's some bullshit. Ralfy usually stays away from that.
>>
>>7077238
He once mentioned pineapple cubes in Highland Park. Not pineapples mind you but pineapple cubes.
>>
>>7077180
>>7077140
>Oh hey, I could try those!
>look them up
>100$+ for 700ml bottle
Welp, guess I'll stick with my cheap-ass whiskey
>>
>>7077337
For Glendronach I pay around £45 which works out as about $70. But I probably pay more for bourbon, and forget about reasonable priced Rye in UK.
>>
File: ardbeg-10-year-old-whisky.jpg (30 KB, 600x917) Image search: [Google]
ardbeg-10-year-old-whisky.jpg
30 KB, 600x917
Ardbeg 10 - Lovely warm smokey finish and not too chemically.

I've tried a few others (Bowmore 12, Laphroaig 10 + Quarter Cask) but never gone beyond the 'entry level' ages yet
>>
>>7077384
Ardbeg 10 is a great entry level heavily peated whisky.
>>
>>7077153
I just tried the coffey grain for the first time. its amazing
>>
>>7077337
if you want a cheap scotch that actually isnt half bad, try meclellans. It's not the greatest, but it goes down nice enough and its only like 19 bucks a bottle.
>>
File: japan_hib5[1].jpg (136 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
japan_hib5[1].jpg
136 KB, 540x720
>>7077140

this shit is so good.
when I don't have 60 plus dollars to spend on whiskey I generally stick to glenlivet.
>>
File: IMG_20151115_220006.jpg (1017 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151115_220006.jpg
1017 KB, 3264x2448
Got a bottle of this on sale at my local this weekend, good stuff.
>>
>>7077421
https://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?storeId=20002&catalogId=50000&langId=-2&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&searchCategory=Entete&searchTerm=meclellans

AH HAHA HA HA

FUCK YOU, SAQ
>>
>>7078070
>https://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?storeId=20002&catalogId=50000&langId=-2&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&searchCategory=Entete&searchTerm=meclellans

seriously, it costs $40 on that site? what a ripoff
>>
Just got a bottle of springbank , drinks really nicely, clean, pear liqueur, flowers, apples, citrus oil and a nice medium body. Quite lovely and even more mellow with an ice cube/ water. Been drinking too much peat lately and too much sherry cask, so this is refreshing.
>>
>>7077428
I have 17 Year, what does this taste like?

I also love the Macallan 12 year and Glenmorangie 25.
>>
File: japan_aka1.jpg (380 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
japan_aka1.jpg
380 KB, 900x1200
Be in NYC before the whole jap whiskey craze
Was able snag pic related and 12yr Hibiki before 150% price hike

pic related taste pretty interesting from the jameson/wild turkey i'm used to

>>7077414
may give this a shot if i find a bottle
>>
currently my go to whiskey is Paddy's because it's delicious and $20 but I actually prefer bourbon, I just can't afford what I like right now
>>
>>7077208
Glenfarclas is good, too. They're one of the few independent distilleries, their prices aren't ridiculous, and the whisky is good.
>>
What do you people think about Auchentauschen? Loving Irish whisky I've been wanting to try it for a while
>>
File: tears.jpg (4 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
tears.jpg
4 KB, 194x259
>>7077428
>>7077140

my boys, my boys...

only have three whiskies. these two, and this wan...

verr soft and well rounded...used to like lots of peat but the laga 16 is much more balanced...
>>
>>7077428
yes very delicious.
nikka is good too but i prefer hibiki.
"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time."
>>
>>7077140
I guess one of my favourites is the Bruichladdich 12 year. It's very peat-heavy, but it almost doubles around and becomes sweet because of it. Delicious, but not something you drink a lot of. My favourites for coming home after a long day and mulling things over before I start dinner would be Glenlivet or Lagavulin's 12 years. They're good contrasts and Glenlivet's brilliant for a warm evening on the porch because of its freshness, whereas I like Lagavulin in the winter for the extra warmth the smokey flavours give it. Recently, though, I got into Highland Park, and they have a very nicely balanced 12-years whiskey. Also tried Hakusku and Yamazaki 12 years. The Japanese do know how to make a decent drink, I'll give them that. I need to be careful about how much I add to my collection, though. I drink it so slowly I'm running out of space in the bar-cabinet.
>>
File: ila.jpg (60 KB, 175x230) Image search: [Google]
ila.jpg
60 KB, 175x230
>>7077140
Lagavulin my sekond. Caol Ila is the best
>>
>>7077169
OP might have meant the fact that Lagavulin uses some sherry casks. The only other whisky I've tried that incorporates both peat and sherry is Uigiadail but there's probably at least a couple of others.
>>
If you are counting all whisky types moonshine. Bourbon would be Elijah Craig 12 yo and makers mark. Wild turkey woodford reserve, And Evan Williams. Scotch I don't know too much about. Irish whiskey I like Jameson.
>>
Give me advice, which irish should I try next?

Tyrconnell Single Malt, or Bushmill's Black Bush.
>>
>>7082678
>irish

dropped
>>
File: bruichladdich-black-arts-4.jpg (124 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
bruichladdich-black-arts-4.jpg
124 KB, 480x640
Bruichladdich Black Arts 4.1
Islay single malt (unpeated)
23 years

From the nose to finish it's a very long and lingering beautiful journey. One dram will last you all night. Sweet, deep perfection.
There is a toffee sweetness in this whisky that
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.