[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncommon meats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Swans-and-Coots-in-Lake-Eola-1.jpg (288 KB, 903x600) Image search: [Google]
Swans-and-Coots-in-Lake-Eola-1.jpg
288 KB, 903x600
Has anyone here ever tried swan? There's a lake near me filled with them and they are pretty slow.

What would be the best way to prepare one? There's a lot of chinese places near me that have crispy duck and have them hanging from the ceiling. I bet they would know how to cook a swan, maybe I'll ask them too.

Looking for advice before Thanksgiving.
>>
I'll give you $100 if you take one with a slingshot and a marble.
>>
in England only the royal family and some fuckers at this one college can legally eat them

I say go for it. Post it on /ck/. make a stuffing, baste it, roast it in the oven like a big turkey.

And please, pretty please, do something incredible with the neck
>>
>>7076419
stick your dick in the neck
>>
>>7076406
The closest comparison I can give is that swan is really similar to goose, but larger. I've been lucky and drawn out and succeeded in getting 3 tags since I began hunting
>>
>>7076456
There's some massive geese (bigger than most of the swans) at the same lake as the swans. They look like pic related, have you eaten one like this?
>>
File: imperial goose2.jpg (189 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
imperial goose2.jpg
189 KB, 500x324
>>7076406
those long necked assholes had it comeing.
>>
>>7076406
I think you deserve fair warning that swans are bitey, hissy, strong, aggressive fuckers.

And yeah, make sure it's legal first.
>>
>>7076497
>make sure it's legal first
Said no fun person, ever
>>
>>7076406
don't eat a city swan, chances are he's toxic because of all the trash he's eaten

http://honest-food.net/2013/12/30/on-eating-swans/
>>
>>7076419
Like make some balls-to-the-wall stock out of it?
>>
You assholes. Do you know how expensive swans are? My sister spent thousands on her swans for her lake, and neighborhood buttfucks killed all but one of them.
>>
>>7077667
lol
>>
>>7077667
>Spending thousands on swans
>Not spending at least a grand for a cheap fence around your lake.

Unless you mean she lives in one of those neighborhoods where there's a lake that multiple yards share and kids hang around all the time, in which case she was stupid for spending thousands of dollars on swans that reasonably anybody in the neighborhood could have intentionally or accidentally harmed.
>>
>>7077677
It's private property, and there ARE fences. There are also signs all over the property warning about trespassing, and people still stomp around like it's a fucking park or something. She can't raise too much of a stink about it, though, because the last time she did, someone threw raw meat with antifreeze or something like that into the dog pen, poisoning her dogs.
>>
>>7076406
>Swan
Enjoy your parasites.
>>
>>7077701
Tell your stupid animal fucking slut of a sister to invest in good security cameras before expensive livestock. That's fucking common sense.
>>
>>7077667
top kek

what kind of dumbfuck pays thousands of dollars for a swan? mute swans are not endangered and pretty much a pest

if you want to eat swan just ask a hunter to get you one during winter, they usually feed them to their dogs
>>
>>7077701
Where the fuck does she live? If she can afford to buy swans she should be able to afford not to live around such tremendous cunts
>>
>>7077709
>implying she doesn't have security cameras
>implying she has them set up all around her huge piece of land, and not near/inside of her home

This isn't Paranormal Activity, senpai. Security cameras are expensive. The swans were bought when business was good. It's not good anymore.
>>
>>7077721
She lives on property inherited by her husband. The surrounding neighborhood has gone to shit. Meth heads and shit like that.
>>
File: topcuck.jpg (63 KB, 1104x635) Image search: [Google]
topcuck.jpg
63 KB, 1104x635
>americans really pay thousands of usd for a swan
>mfw you can get a pair of breeding mute or swing swans for 100 euro in the EU
>>
>>7077701
>She can't raise too much of a stink about it, though, because the last time she did, someone threw raw meat with antifreeze or something like that into the dog pen, poisoning her dogs.

Then i guess it is time to cause one hell of a stink and then wait with a shotgun for the trespassers to return.
Dead people rarely poison dogs.
>>
>>7077667
>>7077595
There's at least 50+ swans and maybe 20 geese in this lake, they are constantly mating too. I think their diet is controlled and they have feeding machines for tourists, can't be that toxic after its cooked right? They look pretty healthy.
>>
>>7077770
What about the water quality in the lake itself?
The photo looks like it's in the middle of a city.

Eating one won't kill you anyway but if you can get your hands on a swan that was shot in the wilds somewhere that's preferable.
>>
>>7077729
>Security cameras are expensive.
Not at all. They're like Go Cameras really, probably 5 cameras and a monitor for between $100-150.

Swans mate for life, OP. You'll be really doing a horrible thing to break up a pair, where the other will starve itself and mourn til death. They're also $1000-2000 each.

Are they delicious? Hell no. They're like cormorant or other fishy tasting game birds, where they are smoked beyond recognition and pretty much only eaten for lack of other options. Gourmands describe it universally bad in literature through the ages.
>>
>>7077750
>paying 100 euros for a brown swan

Top kuck
>>
>>7077701
>not shooting trespassers
Do you even own land?
>>
>>7076419
>in England only the royal family
Its pretty funny that you guys still have a royal family with special rights
>>
>>7077820
England has a long and storied history of giving special privileges to foreign invaders. An old bunch of Germans get to eat swans, and muzzies get to rape all the girls they want.
>>
>>7077820
Its like formal larping
>>
>>7077820
>Its pretty funny that you guys still have a royal family with special rights
They belong to them, always have, simply grazing/lving freely. It's like the sheep in Iceland, they have owners, but they run about just to find grass, and then rounded up later.
>>
>>7077801
>Swans mate for life, OP. You'll be really doing a horrible thing to break up a pair, where the other will starve itself and mourn til death
good point, make sure you eat an even number of swans, otherwise one might end up sad
>>
>>7077801
>Gourmands describe it universally bad in literature through the ages.

>Holly and I waited to serve the swan until Christmas dinner. Seemed fitting. The wingtips, neck meat, feet and giblets all went into a wonderful German soup called ganseklein

>The main course was the breast pan-roasted to medium-rare, with wild cranberry chutney and leberknödel, liver dumplings made from the swan’s liver. The legs we ate the next day mixed into some fried rice.

>The verdict? Swan is, oddly, more like duck than it is like goose. In fact, the closest thing I can compare it to would be canvasback duck: Dark, tender, mild and clean-tasting. It did not have that toughness Canada goose breast can have, nor that beefiness that many geese possess. Gotta say I like it. But it still doesn’t compare to a specklebelly goose, which retains its position as the World’s Finest Waterfowl, at least to my palate.
>>
>>7077803
Brown swans aren't a species. Mute swans and whooper swans (euro variant of trumpeter) are dirt cheap in Germany or Poland.
>>
>>7077876
I meant to say broken. You know, like the book about the poor trumpeter swan that couldn't sing, so he had to learn how to write and use a chalkboard
>>
File: Trumpet_of_the_Swan_Cover.jpg (51 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
Trumpet_of_the_Swan_Cover.jpg
51 KB, 311x475
>>7077885
Louis.
>>
>>7077844
>ganseklein
recipe that hides flavor

Also you're quoting a biased cookbook author, pretty much a sales pitch, not a review.
>>
>>7077913
I found a couple Swan recipes in German hunting forums.
People claim that young Swan breast is delicious and even older animals are quite good if they're properly prepared.
Adult Swans are skinned and the fat is removed, then they're marinaded or brined.

It's just not easy to get your hands on Swan meat here unless you're a hunter or know one because the meat can't be sold commercially.

http://forum.wildundhund.de/showthread.php?92977-Schwanenbrust-%C3%A0-la-Eichenlaub80
>>
>>7077624
no like eat it
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.