[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can i make hard cider with regular cider, sugar, and bakers yeast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: homemade-hard-cider-1.jpg (175 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
homemade-hard-cider-1.jpg
175 KB, 1000x667
can i make hard cider with regular cider, sugar, and bakers yeast?
>>
>>7075953
Yes. DDG it and you'll get a ton of recipes.
>>
>>7075955
DDG?
>>
Yeah, but it will be shit.

Buy cider yeast (it will be dry, with lots of small bubbles), and use wild honey.

The biggest issues are sanitation and temperature control.

If you don't know anything about homebrewing, read a little before wasting your money. There are anons on /ck/ who homebrew, but not enough to make this a good place to ask for advice. You're better off trying a real brewing forum and not bothering with the hobo shit underage kids post in these parts.
>>
>>7075963
Duckduckgo mi familia. It's the new search engine with patented "Don't JUST my privacy" technology.
>>
>>7075953
What is that, some sort of cocktail made with cider?
>>
>>7076092
in the image, its just regular non alcoholic cider. as for what i want to make, anything alcoholic
>>
>>7075992

>buy cider yeast

Meant to write, "champagne yeast". It makes a really good cider.
>>
File: Johnny_Appleseed_1972_post_card.jpg (133 KB, 640x499) Image search: [Google]
Johnny_Appleseed_1972_post_card.jpg
133 KB, 640x499
>>7076109

that's the yeast to use

and fermented apple cider is called "cyser" btw
>>
>>7076092
in america, cider is just an apple juice drink

"hard cider" means alcoholic cider
>>
So, this has been bothering me for a while now: what exactly is the difference between apple juice (like in my pic) and cider like in OP's pic? Is it just a question of filtration or something, or is there a different process?

>>7075953
Make sure you use unpasteurized products.
>>
>>7076146
cider in america is unfiltered juice; everywhere else it is alcoholic juice.
>>
>>7076106
>non alcoholic cider.
That sentence is faulty.
>>
>>7076171
see
>>7076151
>>
>>7076151
I'm so sick of Americans being special little snowflakes and making names up for things that have existed for thousands of years.

There is no need for it.
>>
File: 2459015942_d0a1c21965.jpg (184 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
2459015942_d0a1c21965.jpg
184 KB, 500x375
>>7076178
I know it feels weird to do something new, but you'll come around to doing it our way in time. Everything our way. Your way is no longer needed.

If you relax your anus a little, there will be less pain.
>>
>>7076109
Ale yeast works too.
>>
Really? This many posts and nothing about preservatives?

Fuck.

Make sure your cider is pasteurized and does not contain potassium sorbate. Otherwise, you yeast will never fucking grow. Ascorbic acid is the only preservative that won't fuck them up.
>>
>>7076249
>Make sure your cider is pasteurized
You have already failed
>>
>>7076125
A cyser is a mead that uses apple juice. Fermented apple juice sans honey is a cider.
>>
>>7076252
Sad reality is, not everyone has access to fresh pressed apple juice. Unless you live next to an orchard, you have to make due. Otherwise, enjoy your cider vinegar.
>>
no not really
If you can find unpasteurized cider than yes, but you probably won't. You don't need cider yeast but it does work well, I had a good experience with champagne yeast but I was looking to go as dry as possible.

cider is one of those things that's bad almost every time unless it's done right, which is actually just about respect for the ingredients and simple techniques
AKA find a cider press and free apples no one wants from an old tree on an older farm, press and bottle immediately in glass carboys, rack it after a month and keep it sub 65 for another six. Otherwise you're just a hobo and fuck yourself

unfortunately if you're in the northeast you might be too late, if you're far north enough you might get lucky I've seen viable fruit on the tree up in VT but I guarantee further south it's all gone or fucked

enjoy
>>
>>7076271
oh and pls don't use bakers yeast for alcohol ever. we have spent the entirety of human civilization specializing yeast, don't waste the effort on hobo wine
>>
>>7076039
yeah, no.

disconnect.me or you're a fucking pleb
>>
>>7076257
Even when it's fresh pressed, if you want consistent results, you at least sterilize the cider with campden tablets to kill off the wild yeast first.
>>
File: bruce.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bruce.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>7076039
>duckduckgo
>new

It's been around for like 5yrs faggot
>>
>>7076472
You can use baker's yeast for brewing as well, but here are a few things to keep in mind.
1: Baker's Yeast has a much lower tolerance for alcohol than wine and beer yeasts, and will usually die of alcohol poisoning at around 9-10%, whereas champagne and turbo yeasts can go above 20%
2: when yeast dies of alcohol poisoning, it can leave some nasty flavors behind that can range from unpalatable to ruining the brew, so you want to keep the sugar level relatively low with Baker's Yeast to avoid that
3: The lees, which are dead yeast left behind from making wine, differ between strains of yeast, and in the case of bread yeast, they're quite fluffy, fine, and light, and as a result are much harder to siphon out than other yeasts
Other than that, go ahead with bread yeast. In fact, some recipes, like JAOM are better with bread yeast than wine.
>>
>>7076178
Cider used to be very popular in the US, it only lost popularity due to Central and Eastern European immigration and lager became the drink of choice. Temperance movement and Prohibition killed off a lot of the other cider producers. It's not like the cider presses just shuttered due to financial hardship, either. A lot of the orchards were physically uprooted and burned by temperance fanatics.

That's why for a while the only cider available was pressed, unfiltered, non-fermented juice. Nowadays, real cider has become popular again, especially in the traditional growing regions. I know at least 2 orchards in my area that press their own cider.
>>
File: 1429877395752.jpg (135 KB, 637x866) Image search: [Google]
1429877395752.jpg
135 KB, 637x866
1. Don't listen to the idiots telling you not to use pasturized. If you plan on dosing it with yeast it being sterile isn't a big deal.

2. If it has potassium sorbate, all bets are off. This is what the above misinformed dipshit actually wanted you to be on the lookout for. It's a preservative that inhibits yeast growth.

>pasturized o.k. potassium sorbate bad
>>
>>7076698
you don't use pasteurized because it results in an inferior product dummy
enjoy your piss water though
>>
Enjoy Methane
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.