[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have good recipes that use yellow onions? I have a bag
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: Yellow_onion_with_x-section.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Yellow_onion_with_x-section.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
Anyone have good recipes that use yellow onions? I have a bag of them I want to use but dunno what I want to make.
>>
>>7074177
Onions are gross and people shouldn't eat them.
>>
Pretty much everything calls for onions but if you want to use the whole bag you should try to make french onion soup. It is just onions, meat/veggie broth, and lots of cheese.
>>
>>7074186

>telling someone to make one of the hardest soups on the planet

Asshole
>>
>>7074177
Sautee them with black pepper, garlic olive oil and butter
>put them on anything you want
>>
>>7074182
Found the faggot.
>>
>>7074189
what's so hard about making french onion soup ?
>>
>>7074189
It isn't hard at all
>>
File: gulasch.jpg (266 KB, 952x720) Image search: [Google]
gulasch.jpg
266 KB, 952x720
>>7074177
You could make a central european style goulash.

1 kg pork shoulder or neck cut into squares, beef shoulder or leg works too
1 kg chopped onion
bunch of bell peppers
paprika powder
1 tbsp of flour
3 tbsp of tomato concentrate
lard/bacon fat or olive oil

brown meat in a large pot, remove meat and set aside
on high heat fry the bell peppers so that they develop a little bit of roasted aroma, remove and add to meat
sautee the onions on medium heat
caramelize the tomato concentrate in the middle
add the meat and pepers back in
drop in paprika powder, flour and salt, stir everything
add enough water to top everything
simmer for an hour or two
adjust seasonings
you can add some cream or creme fraiche to finish it if want

serve with spatzle or other pasta

this isn't authentic hungarian goulash but pretty good winter food
>>
Onion rings.

Find a basic recipe and replace 1/3 of the flour with corn starch and the water with beer.

Then make a sauce out of ketchup, mayonnaise and horseradish.

Deep fry them and enjoy the diabetes.
>>
Onion Rings
Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
French Onion Soup
>>
There is practically zero use for onions, you might as well just throw them away nore before they start rotting.
>>
>>7074189
are you retarded?
>>
>>7074226
Nice post can I save it?
>>
>>7074226
do you mean tomato paste when you say concentrate?
>>
>>7074177
Well a good onion reduction is the basis for a lot of great dishes. Even sauteeing them is part of many recipes. You could melt butter in a skillet, add flour and onion, make a roux and then add warm milk slowly before melting cheese in it. That would get you a cheese sauce for pasta. Or you could do french onion soup. Alton's recipe is kickass, you'll need some form of round bread and google it.
>>
>>7074354
yes
>>
>>7074361
nice sounds good
>>
>>7074177
Indian food uses lots of onions.
>>
onion cake
>>
>>7074379
Onion cake is literally perfect
>>
>>7074379
>>7074386
>never heard of this
>google onion cake
>semen myself
>>
File: 381424.jpg (53 KB, 640x408) Image search: [Google]
381424.jpg
53 KB, 640x408
1 tsp chopped garlic
1tblsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 onion chopped or thinly sliced
1 can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
1 can diced tomatoes
salt to taste

Fry Onion and garlic for like 7 minutes in oil of your choice, until the onion is soft.

Add the rinsed chick peas, can of tomatoes, and spices. Simmer ~10 minutes. Eat with rice or roti.

To make an easy version of this as a vegetarian chili, substitute chick peas for red kidney beans, and curry powder for chili powder, the cayenne for 1/2 tsp ground cumin.
>>
>>7074392
Is it safe to say that Germany is perfect at everything?
>>
>>7074400
>>7074400
As long as you don't work in the auto industry, sure.
>>
>>7074403
You got me there.
>Nissan is perfect in that regard
>>
>>7074408
>Nissan
>CVTs
Mazda is the clear winner. Aside from lack of features, the car itself is undeniably superior.
>>
>>7074400
once they remove kebab it will be
>>
>>7074177
>any good recipes
Caramelize them, eat with basically anything.
>>
>>7074469
>He wants to know how more than what
Guy is right. To caramelize, cook on low medium heat(25 degree turn of the knob) and sweat and sweat and sweat. This is what makes it different from sauteeing. You're looking for the long-term effects rather than the flash benefits of frying. So sweat them until they have nothing else to give. It will take time but reward you.
>>
>>7074177
If you have a lot, you could make onion chutney. Its pretty simple to make and is a good way to make something that will last (id happily keep a jar in the fridge for at least 2 weeks, maybe up to 1 month)

The basic recipe is simple. Thinly slice onions, sweat them off until they are soft, add vinegar and sugar and cook until a chutney like consistency is formed. Clearly there a lot of different combinations of ingredients you could use to do this.

My go to reciped is to sweat the onions in butter with thyme and diced red chilli, add some red wine, balsamic vinegar and demerara sugar and cook. Sometime also add some water if I want to cook the onions for longer but not to destroy it with too much vinegar. Takes 30 minutes to 1 hour normally. Result is a very dark, almost black onion chutney. Once I pull it off the heat, I chuck in some quatered or halfed cherry tomatoes and let them cook in the residual heat, and some shredded leafy herbs such as parsley or mint.
>>
File: pfaelzer-zwiebelkuchen.jpg (161 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
pfaelzer-zwiebelkuchen.jpg
161 KB, 600x450
>>7074392
>>7074386
>>7074379
Thanks for reminding me that this is a thing, gonna make one this week.
>>
>>7074496
>Never liked onions
>Gf's sister needed a place to crash for a night
>Let her stay at mine
>We get to mine pretty late
>Pretty sure im going to get to make passionate love to her
>She cooks sausages with onions
>I hate onions
>Does the method you talk about
>We didnt make love
>But I did fall in love with the onions

Seemed like a disappointing night at the time, but im grateful for it now
>>
>>7074226
Looks good.
>>
>>7074177
You can put onions with almost any savory meal, brah.

But if you want to use a lot of them fast, why not make some onion rings?
>>
>>7074177
French onion soup.
>>
>>7074177
alton brown's french onion soup recipe is great.
>>
>>7074177
Pretty much everything that's savory.
>>
>>7074177
French onion soup, m8.
>>
File: u36kg.jpg (64 KB, 720x537) Image search: [Google]
u36kg.jpg
64 KB, 720x537
>>7074496
>giving temperature by angle
>>
PISSALADIERE

Or curry. Curry's like 50% onion.
>>
>>7076346
>getting the angle wrong

Protip: 25 degrees is not the the same as a quarter (90 degrees, for those of you who failed high school).

Also,wtf is going on with those chair legs?
>>
>>7076351
How did you graduate high school, yet can't figure out that she put the chair back on upside-down?
>>
>>7074177
>I have a bag of them I want to use but dunno what I want to make.
They last a good 4 months...so don't feel so pressed or urgent about needing to use them up.

You could make onion jam or bacon-onion jam! It's fine to make some onion soup (especially to freeze it, just top off the broth with some fresh lemon and herbs when reheating). But frankly, I'd just park them in the produce drawer in my fridge if you want to use them one at a time for recipes.
>>
>>7074508
That sounds wonderful, anon.

I'd serve with pork or on crusty bread, I think.

>>7074515
I'd never heard of it.

I think I'll try one as well.
>>
>>7074400
well, politics sure as hell isn't their strong point
>>
>>7076353
It seemed too retarded an explanation
>>
>>7074331
>Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
Alternatively caramelized onion on toast is top tier
>>
>>7074226
fucking flour in gulasch
>>
>buy a steak
>cook mushrooms & onions in skillet until caramelized.
>cook steak served with mushroom/onion topped with goat or blue cheese.
>have foodgasm
>>
>>7074177
onion soup. what could go wrong?
>>
>>7074177
Fry the shit out of them, then puree and cook along with ginger garlic paste and curry powder to make "brown stuff", the base of all indian restaurant curries. Freeze in batches.
>>
File: Stuffed-Onions-113.jpg (264 KB, 620x415) Image search: [Google]
Stuffed-Onions-113.jpg
264 KB, 620x415
Stuffed onions
>>
Oklahoma onion burgers
>>
So I'll be honest, I don't buy white onions. I only buy yellow onions and occasionally red onions if I think it would work better in the recipe.

Is there really a difference between white and yellow onions?
>>
>>7079221
yellow is better anyway
>>
>>7079221
In general, yellow onions have a stronger flavor/smell than white, which are stronger than red onions.

Of course that will vary from onion to onion, but that's the general trend.
>>
OP again, tried carmelized onions sunday. Came out okay but they didn't look like pictures on the internet. I think it was cause I used a non stick pan?
Also is oil or butter necessary?

Thanks also for all the suggestions. I'm definetly going to try making some of this stuff, like that cheese sauce.

Wtf are stuffed onions? Like stuffed peppers but subbing onion as the casing?
>>
>>7079457
Also when I cut into one of my onions the inside was starting to rot. I think my bag got moisture from our bathroom flooding about a month ago.
>>
>>7079457
>I think it was cause I used a non stick pan?
That shouldn't matter at all. The important thing to remember about caramelized onions (as opposed to sauteed onions) is that it takes a long time to cook them. 40 minutes, if not more.

>>Also is oil or butter necessary?
A little bit, yeah.

>>Wtf are stuffed onions? Like stuffed peppers but subbing onion as the casing?
Yes.
>>
I seriously can't remember the last time I didn't have yellow onion in my food. It's the main staple and food I base all of my cooking on, followed by garlic.

I even had it on my pancakes the other day.
>>
>>7074496
>>7079457
The easy way to caramelize onions is to use a slow cooker. Cut onions into half-moons, add oil, toss to coat, and throw it all in your slow cooker and set it on low. Leave it there for like 12 hours. You can do an enormous batch and freeze it in portions.
>>
If you chop them fine enough, you can add them to anything raw, without the raw taste.
If you fail to chop them properly, there will be that raw onion taste.
>>
>>7079491
Or just cook them in a pot with some oil on a high heat which takes maybe 15 or 20 minutes. But hey whatever works for you.
>>
>>7079872

Caramelizing onions takes a lot longer than 15-20 minutes.

Don't confuse sauteed with caramelized.
>>
>>7074177
Are you mental? Onions go like everywhere. Tomato soup, marinara sauce, if you're doing mince you fry finely chopped onions first then add mince to pan, you put them in goulash, curry. They add awesome flavor, when they are cooked the spiciness goes away and the taste transforms into something amazing. But if you want to try it raw, cut a little piece of bread, a little piece of bacon and a small slice of onion and eat it together. It's delicious but your breath will become poison.
>>
>>7074395
remember to add garlic later than onions because it cooks faster.
>>
>>7074379
Literally. How have I not heard of this? I'm buying me a sack of onions tommorow.
>>
>>7079864
Pro tip: if you want onions chopped very very fine you can just use a grater.
>>
>>7080666
>Pro tip: if you want onions chopped very very fine you can just use a grater.

With a bucket or two to catch your tears.
>>
>>7080671
If you're a gipsy you can sell 'em.
>>
>>7074496
>sweat
I just sautee on high for a bit, add a splash of cold water, sugar, salt, and then reduce for about 15-20. Gets'em done quick.
>>
>>7074300
Onion rings yes, but don't meme it out with fuckin beer, it makes batter taste like stale elderly sailors.

If you do add beer, go ahead and dice some jalapeƱo and drown it in sir-crotcha sauce, and perhaps dip it in papa John's garlic+cooking oil.
>>
>>7079221
White onions for salsa.
Red onions for raw use.
Yellow onions for literally anything else.
>>
>>7081546

>White onions for salsa
>Shallots for literally anything else
>>
Just make the french onion soup as other anons suggested. I easily go through most of the bag when made and it's fucking easy. Just caramelize with some olive oil/butter, deglaze with some red wine and add beef stock. Toast up some bread and add some cheese. I use swiss or mozzerella cause Gruyere smells nasty desu fammie.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.