[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You start off with some Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
You start off with some Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water.
>>
corn syrup on high for 10 minutes, throw water away
>>
>>7069305
>you start off with some sugar, sugar and water, and water
>>
JIZZ in it FGGT
>>
What are you going to put the sugar and water in?
You need to start with a saucepan.
>>
>>7069312
I don't know what this thread is about, but corn syrup is used in a lot of candies to inhibit crystallization. It is effectively just sugar, but it has an important function in many things
>>
a thread with actual cooking?
seems wierd, lurking.
>>
>>7069337
yeah, That's what I thought first thing when I saw the pic and ingredient list. The specific reason for the corn syrup is the fructose - pure glucose solution can crystallize but a solution of both glucose and fructose likely won't.
>>
What is this? Malt-o-meal?
>>
Marshmallows?
>>
he's obviously making peanut brittle.
>>
op here. major faggot move but I had to do some things in regards to finishing this. I meant to make a candy thread. I made sugar glass, two flavors. dumping pics. this one is blue raspberry
>>
File: IMG_20151112_221150.jpg (193 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_221150.jpg
193 KB, 600x600
looks so beautiful when you smash it into meth-looking bite sized pieces.
>>
File: IMG_20151112_221421.jpg (66 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_221421.jpg
66 KB, 600x600
this one is peppermint and cinnamon.
made the entire house smell like menthol and burned the shit out of my eyes, but well worth it.
>>
>>7069305
What flavorings are you using?
>>
And finally, I bag them up for selling to people who are the weirdest motherfuckers when it comes to getting a sugar fix. more of a novelty. but I does taste pretty good.
>>
>>7069562
What a waste. Get some molds next time
>>
>>7069572
for the peppermint, lorann's. would definately recommend. shit is strong as hell and you only need a small bit.
for the blue raspberry, Watkins imitation raspberry. it's alright, 6/10.
>>
>>7069580
I'm in the process of trying to find some hard candy molds. preferably silicon. any you would recommend?
>>
File: Homemade-Salted-Caramels.jpg (55 KB, 700x629) Image search: [Google]
Homemade-Salted-Caramels.jpg
55 KB, 700x629
>>7069558
Okay OP, you want a candy thread, I've got a pretty fun recipe for caramels.

First, the ingredients:
3 cups sugar, 3 cups corn syrup, 1 pint heavy cream, divided into 4x(1/2 cup)
1 large stock pot (you want a tall pot, not a dutch oven, trust me)
1 candy thermometer
1 large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan - it must be able to hold the volume of the liquid caramel
optionally, a silpat
scissors
wax paper, cut into wrappers
>>
>>7069622
please continue, I've actually been looking for a good caramel recipe for a family friend.
>>
>>7069622
Prep the jelly roll pan with a bit of crisco or something, butter works okay too, and put the silpat on the bottom. Make sure there's room to put the pan lying flat in a freezer nearby if you don't want to wait for hours and hours. Set up the pot with the thermometer an inch or two off the bottom, and get hold of a wooden spoon or a metal one with a non-metal handle that can reach the bottom of the pot without your hand inside it.

When you've got everything else prepped, put all the sugar and syrup and 1 cup worth of cream in the pot, and get ready for the long haul after you turn that burner on because this train *does not stop* if you know what's good for you. Burnt caramel is damn near impossible to get off the bottom of a pan.

You can start with high heat, but drop it to medium or so once you start boiling, and make sure to keep stirring pretty much constantly. don't let the bottom of the mixture sit still, and make sure to mix the parts near the thermometer so you're getting a good reading. Don't stir so hard that air mixes in and cools the mixture, if you can help it.
At 235-240 degrees Fahrenheit, slowly mix in the next 1/4 pint (=1/2 cup), bring back to a boil and keep heating. Repeat when it reaches the same temperature again.

Finally, when the temperature gets to 245 degrees, you're done, and you'll want to take it off the heat. *Carefully* and quickly pour it into the pan, adding in any last additions like nuts or flavor essences first. If you want the caramels salted, add it on top of the filled pan so it doesn't dissolve too easily.
Put the pan in the freezer carefully, keeping it flat. Feel free to pop bubbles, or shake carefully to raise any internal ones.
>>
>>7069669
Lastly, once you can touch the middle without much give and the pan isn't so hot it burns, about 30-45 minutes in the freezer, it's time to cut and wrap.

I find having help works best for this. One person cuts a strip off the bulk, and then cuts the pieces to size, while one or more others wrap the pieces in wax paper, pre-cut to size. This seems to let the pieces be cut up all before the bulk hardens so much it's hard to work, while not giving the cut pieces too much time to stick to whatever they're set on or taking up too much room. Working fairly quickly is still necessary, especially if the final temperature was closer to 250 than 245.

On the subject of the final temperature, I've found that personal experience quickly begins to outstrip the reliability of most thermometers for this particular recipe. For example, after you've done it a couple times, if it looks like it's browning a bit much but the temperature reading is low, it's probably done (and the thermometer would likely jump if you jostled it right or got past a caramel coating or something). It feels weird to say "trust your gut" when talking about a candy recipe, since they're notoriously finicky, but there you go.
>>
>corn syrup

enjoy your diabetes amerilard
>>
>>7069577
How to make, I want to eat it
>>
>>7069622
>stock pot
Knorr brand?
>>
>>7069592
lorann has some on their website not sure if they are silcon, they have two types I believe. I was looking through their flavors for future candy and haven't decide on any flavors yet but thought about taking some e-cig juice recipes and using them in a candy recipe. just a thought.
>>
>>7069443
I refer you to
>>7069705
Though, honestly, this is a fucking *candy* thread! if we're getting diabetes here it isn't the corn syrup that's to blame.
>>
File: stockpot.jpg (13 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
stockpot.jpg
13 KB, 450x450
>>7069723
Just any high sided large volume pot, really. The caramel bubbles up something fierce. Here's the first result from google, looks about right.
>>
>>7069726
Like something from http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ and just get the flavor % to match that of 1 dram which is what lorann recommends for their recipe
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.