[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /ck/, gonna try to make some curry rice for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
hey /ck/, gonna try to make some curry rice for the first time this weekend.
just classic with some beef, onions, carrots, and potatoes.

what's the best mix i could use/find easily at most supermarkets? im just looking to make something simple and tasty.
i see golden curry around a lot. how's that?
you guys ever add in any extra ingredients? a friend told me that some kinds of jam/ketchup can be good.

i appreciate it.
>>
bumping curry thread
>>
>jam/ketchup can be good
>>
Golden curry works just fine, and your veggies sound like a good mix too.

I usually just make it with some tonkatsu or okra aside from what you mentioned.
>>
Golden Curry is pretty dang good. I've also tried Vermont but didn't like it as much.
>>
I'm new to curry but love the flavor. Many Americans are simply never exposed to Indian cooking when growing up, so I am discovering it now as an adult.
Do I have to buy a paste or sauce? Can I get the flavor I want from the powder? I don't have time for complexity in cooking, it needs to be easy.
>>
File: vermontcurry1-amakuchi-e.jpg (29 KB, 500x248) Image search: [Google]
vermontcurry1-amakuchi-e.jpg
29 KB, 500x248
I generally don't like Japanese curry, it's too watery and flavorless for me, but a lot of people who do like it go for Vermont brand. Try that out.
>>
>>7066922
I went out with an Indian chick for nine years, their curries and food sucks compared to Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, and Jamacian. Plus all that indian shit looks like well, shit.
>>
>>7065859
http://importfood.com/recipes/japanese_curry.html
>>
File: Bamboe-Bumbu-Kare-Indonesia.jpg (84 KB, 408x575) Image search: [Google]
Bamboe-Bumbu-Kare-Indonesia.jpg
84 KB, 408x575
>>7066922
If you want to go to flavortown get some of these babys.
>>
>>7066925
>watery

After you pour in the water, bring it to a boil, add curry tablets and let dissolve on high stirring constantly then lower to medium high and keep stirring and it will thicken up very nicely. Found this out on accident when I was I left it on without remembering.
>>
>>7066922
>>
File: Bamboe-Indonesia-899273521005.jpg (78 KB, 438x513) Image search: [Google]
Bamboe-Indonesia-899273521005.jpg
78 KB, 438x513
>>7066949
I know all that for when I make it myself, in general the Japanese mix just doesn't do it for me when there are to me, much better others available. Like these Indonesian ones.
>>
>>7066932
I don't give a shit where the fucking curry comes from or if its authentico. I just want something spicy and flavorful. I don't care that you're still bitter because your girlfriend dumped you after 9 years and now you think everything Indian "sucks" and "looks like shit"
>>
>>7066962
One thing has nothing to do with the other, I didn't like indian food when I was going out with her and I don't like it now. Don't make connections that don't exist. That shit sucks and looks like shit.

And I never said anything was authentic or whatever, where did you make that up from? You sound like a pissed off h1b type that knows you're getting fucked once Trump is president.
>>
>>7065859
>just classic with some beef, onions, carrots, and potatoes.

how is that classic? thats not classic at all.
>>
>>7065859
Why not just make it from scratch? Its pretty easy
>>
What is it about Japanese food and perfecting packaged foods?
>curry
>ramen
>soup
literally GOAT packaged food
>>
>>7066966
When people think japanese curry thats what they think, meat and 3 veg in a gravy.

Pretty austrapian now that i think about it
>>
>>7067014
They stole the tech from the USA. Seriously.
>>
The nips couldn't come up with anything on their own even if an oar hit them over their heads.
>>
>>7067021
Ona hole
>>
>>7067026
George Thorogood & The Destroyers - I Drink Alone (Live at Montreux 2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZ1MLts1yw
>>
>>7067038
Uhh thanks?
>>
>>7067044
It's the thoughtform that counts?
>>
>>7067011
The problem with that is that it takes a lot of ingredients that can not only be difficult to obtain but difficult to maintain. If running a restaurant doing it professionally that's one thing but for a person doing it for oneself or for a family or such it's a pain in the ass to deal with some of the ingredients.

I might need palm oil 5 times / year, it's gonna go rancid just sitting around. That's just one example.
>>
>>7066962
If you don't care where it comes from but want something spicy and tasty get a Malaysia curry paste

Heaps better than Indian desu
>>
>>7067278
But you only make the curry sauce stuff in small batches and any of the base ingredients are versatile enough to be used in other dishes.

Just my opinion, nothing wrong with buying it though, golden curry is quite ice
>>
>>7065859
been eating this all my life. my suggestions:
include mushrooms with your veg
use stock instead of water
grate in some apple + add a lil dab of ketchup at the end
>>
>>7066966
what the fuck did you say, insolent kek? are you white?
>>
I do chicken instead but carrots onion and potato is standard. I add a can of corn or peas too. There's frozen veg mixes if shitty food appeals to you. Don't forget to use short grain rice.
>>
>>7065859
This is the first thing I learned how to make in college.

I used to follow the instructions on the box, let some shrimp thaw. While it's thawing cut up vegetables of choice and mix it in with the curry. Then throw the shrimp in. Basic shrimp curry dish.
>>
>>7067614
Yeah but here's another example, coconut milk. A batch of curry only takes a little bit of coconut milk, maybe 1/3rd of the can then the rest of the can goes to waste. Maybe I could add that to tea or something, but the point is, sometimes it's better to just get a packet like those Bamboe ones from Indonesia.
>>
>>7067014
What are you talking about? Are you saying its perfect because you can only read one word on the packaging?
>>
>>7067843
1 apple cut to the same size as the potato is better than grated apple. Especially if you make the curry very spicy.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (104 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
104 KB, 500x400
pork better than beef desu helps to marinate your choice of meat for a bit first adds more flavor also add some dashi stock to the water and caramelize the onions before anything else

ps s&b curries suck use house brand curries: java, vermont or kokumaro

java is like weird harsh spicy, vermont is on the sweet side and kokumaro is somewhere in between

my usual is half java half kokumaro

the one on the bottom left とろける (torokeru) is animal product free and acceptable for vegan chickenshits
>>
Is the ready-made version any good or does it suck?
>>
>>7068976
Yes they are fine just gotta get the right brand
>>7068757
Good taste breh but there is no world in which java or any japanese curry is spicy
>>
>>7069831
spicy as in actual spices sorry senpai not like hot mouth hurt
>>
>>7065859

Make tonkatsu, and tonkatsu sauce and make veggie curry and white rice. I tried it just because I had the ingredients on hand, and now it's probably one of my top 3 things to make. Put potatoes, carrots, onion, and any extra veggies like spinach or white beans or edamame in it and add some apple or apricot jam and a little extra curry powder.
>>
I like to get Golden Curry Hot (have to order it from Amazon because small town has nothing but curry powder in stores) and it is just a little spicy, and it gets more spicy as you eat it. I typically get a huge onion or two small ones and a package of stir fry mixed vegetables and make half a box. If you do use Golden Curry and get a rectangular box with two servings, make sure you only use three cups of water if you only use one half instead of six because I made that mistake twice in a row now and watery curry is not that great.

The only curry I've ever had aside from restaurant, but I love it over white rice. I use chicken but it would be great with beef I think. And fantastic with potatoes.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.