[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the logic behind appetizers? If they're supposed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: radish-appetizer_31[1].jpg (84 KB, 1800x1205) Image search: [Google]
radish-appetizer_31[1].jpg
84 KB, 1800x1205
What is the logic behind appetizers? If they're supposed to make you hungrier for the main course, they fail. They just make you more full and less hungry.
>>
i disagree unless you're talking about american appetisers like huge platters of nachos. they stimulate your appetite if they taste interesting and they're an appropriate size.
>>
Allows the chef to show off specific flabors that would be too overbearing if contained within a whole dish
>>
File: visual discomfort.jpg (61 KB, 329x670) Image search: [Google]
visual discomfort.jpg
61 KB, 329x670
>tfw none of the entres interest you and you'd rather get two or three appetizers
>>
>>7063817
There's a restaurant near me that's perfect for you. All they sell is starters, nothing else. It's called Starters.

http://www.startersrestaurant.co.uk/middlesbrough/menu/starters/
>>
>what's the point of having multiple courses

If anything get rid of dessert. Just because you have money to go out doesn't justify acting like a child and gorging on sugar at the end of the night.

Appetizers are usually best with drinks.

>>7063817

Literally nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>7063817

you could just order two or three appetisers unless you're scared of being gauche. it's usually a pretty good way of eating.
>>
>>7063821
So far, but i appreciate the consideration anon.

>>7063823
>>7063830
Yeah, since tapas are a thing and such. I only feel this way at really basic restaurants though. Places that only do chicken/beef/fish plates.
>>
>>7063813
A couple of points of interest
One they keep you snacking to appease your hunger before the main course, And second appetizers are generally meant to be shared not gulped up by one person.
>>
>>7063821
They should change the name of the restaurant to lazy.
>>
It's a matter of stupidity in language. Only in America are they called "appetizers." In the UK they are more appropriately called "starters." Leave it to the Yanks to fuck it up when it comes to knowing how to properly describe and label something.
>>
>>7063817
I love starters, 90% of the time they're far more interesting than the mains.
>>
>>7063895
>It's a matter of stupidity in language. Only in the UK are they called "friends" In the US they are more appropriately called "illegal immigrants" Leave it to the Brits to fuck it up when it comes to knowing how to properly describe and label something.
>>
>>7063928

wait is an american trying to take the high ground on immigration? lel
>>
>>7063813

They really work best or long large meals,if you're gonna just stuff food in your face and be in and hour in less than an hour you're eating wrong.
>>
>>7063823
I stopped ordering dessert or making it at home a while back in favour of making/ordering a starter instead

dessert just leaves you with a huge sugary aftertaste
>>
>>7063930
How's that muslim boot taste, commie?
>>
in France they're called "entrées" (meaning "entrances" or starters).

here in the US, unaccountably, main courses are called "entrées" instead, which matches neither the French idiom nor the meaning of the word.

tl:dr we shouldn't even have the word appetizer, because we should say "entrée" and "main course" for apps and mains.

I really like the word "Appetizing", however which means smoked fish and bagels in New York.

"Let's get some appetizing!"
>>
>>7063928
>I'm starting an argument with someone for no reason at all on a topic that isn't even related to the thread
>>
>>7063813
They are supposed to "wake your palette up" or something like that

>>7063895
Same topic, why is the main course in America called entree? literally wtf
>>
>>7063939
is this your first day here?
>>
"Appetizer" is a pretty funny word though. If it wasn't already a thing, you'd think it was some horrifying snake oil product sold in late night infomercials to people trying to lose weight.

>With The Appetizer™ even a four pound pile of raw kale can look like a juicy steak!
>kale sold separately. do not use The Appetizer™ on non food items. the company accepts no liability for harm caused by accidental Appetizing™
>>
>>7063813
Than don' t eat the whole fucking plate, you fat fuck.
>>
>>7063821
Sounds like tapas, and those can be really great especially with a good bottle of vino or a pitcher of sangria.
A good bottle of vino is oh so very keeno.
>>
>>7063813
They're just a faggy ploy to satisfy people who don't know what they want to eat. It's supposed to be impressive; an essay to show off the skill of the chef, or so I suppose. Basically 'marketing'.
It is a trend that was taken over by people trying to be fancy for the most part.

I mean I can understand that when people go out to eat they want to try a lot of different delicious things, but in addition to being needlessly self-indulgent it muddles your palate physically and psychologically by the time you get the main course.

Also have I mentioned, going to restaurants is for retarded fags?
>>
Sometimes I just go to Olive Garden to get 2 orders of their calamari appetizer and some veg since it's pretty cheap but still tastes alright.
>>
>>7063960
>tfw you need an appetizer to get through morning oats
>tfw accidentally appetizing your coffee, mug, spoon and nearly a finger
it keeps happening
>>
>>7063895

Britburgers can't even speak their own language that they always talk so highly of.
>>
>>7063813
>more full and less hungry
Only American appetizers that are meant for multiple people make you full. Most restaurants serve appetizers for more than one person. If you're lucky enough to get a restaurant that serves individual appetizers it will definitely make you more hungry because the portion size will be minimal, but the flavors will be strong.
>>
>>7063816

good answer actually
>>
>>7063817
nothing is really stopping you from just ordering multiple appetizers.
>>
>>7063814
Came here to post this. If you can't enjoy a multi course meal without having a stroke over the idea of plates where you can see the plate because it's not completely overflowing with food, there is something seriously wrong with you.

I had this picture on my computer and it seems related, so it's going with my post.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.