[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okonomiyaki > everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: okonomiyaki1.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
okonomiyaki1.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
I just made okonomiyaki today.
My life is changed forever.

I wonder what other uses there for okonomi sauce. This shit is fantastic.
Then again, I don't really need any more uses.
I don't even need any more recipes.

This is the end of looking for shit to eat or actually learning any more cooking skills. From now on, this will be all I eat every day every meal for the rest of my life.
>>
File: okonomiyaki2.jpg (79 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
okonomiyaki2.jpg
79 KB, 500x375
Look at this beautiful shit.
>>
File: botejyu-okonomiyaki.jpg (48 KB, 550x365) Image search: [Google]
botejyu-okonomiyaki.jpg
48 KB, 550x365
>>
>>7063469

OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS *SO* FUCKING GOOD.
>>
Can you make okonomiyaki without yamaimo?
>>
>>7063458
I read an article about that stuff recently. It's supposed to take years to learn how to make it well, and before that it's essentially cabbagey yakisoba.

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2015/hiroshima/

here it is
>>
File: Yakisoba_(1).jpg (286 KB, 769x1024) Image search: [Google]
Yakisoba_(1).jpg
286 KB, 769x1024
>>7063522
Yeah.
But you can get it

>>7063532
>Supposed to take years to learn how to make well
...Seemed pretty fucking simple to me
This might be exaggerated by the fact that okonomiyaki is a food that by definition means (well, by what its name in Japanese means any way) you can add basically whatever you want to it.
So it might take "years" to decide what ingredients you want or maybe it would take years to get incredibly super good at it which really what does that even mean?
Most people can't even make fluffy omelettes.

All you do is mix an egg with flour and water, add cabbage to it, add anything else you want to it, and fry it.

To be honest, I did kinda fuck it up a little bit (wasn't completely holding together), but I'm new to cooking.

As for cabbagey yakisoba..
...What?
You don't even have to add noodles to it.
>>
>>7063545
Forgot to remove my image of yakisoba.
I was going to point out what yakisoba is until I realized that would be a dumb post.
>>
>>7063522
>>7063545
Fuck I didn't complete my response.

You can make okonomiyaki without yamaimo.
But doesnt seem like yamaimo is *too* hard to find if you go to an asian supermarket and are into that kind of shit.

Any way, I didn't even know it was supposed to be with yamaimo until I read wikipedia.
The kind I make might be a slightly bastardized version where you just mix
flour
water or dashi stock (which can be made with little packets)
egg
shredded cabbage
Whatever other ingredients you want.

Then as topping
Okonomi sauce
Possibly mayo (which works surprisingly well IMO)
Other options. Bonito flakes, aonori seaweed, pickled ginger.

Some recipes mentioned baking powder, too.
The stuff just binds together via the batter.
>>
>>7063532
Oh, and another thing about that whole okonomiyaki being difficult to make well:

>Some okonomiyaki restaurants are grill-it-yourself establishments, where the server produces a bowl of raw ingredients that the customer mixes and grills at tables fitted with teppan, or special hotplates. They may also have a diner-style counter where the cook prepares the dish in front of the customers.

So yeah.
>>
>>7063589
I dunno, man. I'm just saying what I read. Something about how standard okonomiyaki is easy but "proper" okonomiyaki is actually quite difficult. I've never actually had it, I was just trying to get some clarification.
>>
>>7063591
Eh. It's all good.

I'm not bashing on you, just providing the best clarification I can.
>>
>>7063591
Not OP but that's kind of just placeholder where
[x] is really easy to do, but proper [x] takes years to make really well

If someone spends years doing something, of course they'll be good at it so long as there is room to improve, which there usually is.
>>
>>7063591
Dude, the fucking article says that okonomiyaki apprenticeship is like 3 month, that's like no time at all in nippon apprenticeship. That's not even yellow belt time
>>
>>7063458

>this is the end of looking for shit to eat or actually learning any more cooking skills
>from now on, this will be all I eat every day every meal for the rest of my life

If I had a dollar for every time I said that I'd be able to eat out for every meal and wouldn't need to learn any more cooking skills

>tfw cook for a living
>>
>>7063469
Are you some kind of sorcerer?
Looks amazing!
How do you do this dish?
>>
>>7063458

Isn't this just a savory filled griddle cake?

wait till you find out about sausage and cheese biscuits or sheperds pie, you're going to lose your damn mind
>>
Oh my threads still up.

>>7065998
Well okay.
I don't actually currently have a way to photograph what I cook.
It was an image result. I try to follow them a few pages back to get something hopefully at least somewhat fresh.

>>7066085
Its not like a pancake, really. Certainly not when you're putting stuff in and on it like dashi stock, okonomi sauce and mayo.
The shredded cabbage is a key ingredient btw.

>>7063876
I'm not completely sure what this anon is on about.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.