[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay you FU/CK/S, after seeing this shit on here day after day,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: CarbShit.jpg (628 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
CarbShit.jpg
628 KB, 2448x3264
okay you FU/CK/S, after seeing this shit on here day after day, you convinced me to make this fucking shit tonight.

spent more than I should have for the ingredients, so please help me not fuck it up now. i got the goddamn fucking guanciale. plan on using a mix of parmigiano reggiano and pecorino romano. dinner is for two.

here's what I still haven't decided on:
how many eggs to use
combo/how much cheese

I'll take pics and post after I'm done. Lets put this to fucking rest once and for all.
>>
Points to you for getting proper guanciale. I ended up just using pancetta - the Italian market near me didn't have guanciale.
>>
Two yolks is enough for one person. Use 15-20g cheese, depending on how much additional cheese you want to sprinkle on top.
>>
Wish I could find guanciale, usually end up using bacon or jowl bacon.

for 4 eggs I usually use around 4 to 5 tbsp parmesan and the same amount of romano to mix with them. Then add another 2-3 tbsp of each after the sauce has thickened.
>>
something else I haven't decided on:

Use pasta water or not??
>>
>>7061811
Yes
>>
>>7061811
Save it until you're done-- you may need a few spoonfuls if the texture is a shit.
>>
Where's the cream?
>>
about to start cooking, heres what I decided on:

half a pound of pasta
quarter pound guanciale
4 egg yolks, fuck it
half a cup parmigiano
half a cup pecorino

we'll see how this shit turns out
>>
GO OP, GO

MAKE A DELICIOUS MEAL
>>
>>7062041
Is that all for you? For one serving?
>almost a kilo of pasta
>4 eggs
Jesus Christ mate. Are you a competitive eater?
>>
>>7062098
>half pound = one kilo

Leave and never come back
>>
>>7062098
no, its for two. as stated in OP.
>dinner is for two

please read the thread
>>
>>7062142
two times half a pound is still just one pound, which is less than half a kilo

maybe you should read a math book instead
>>
>>7062098
Not OP, a 'serving' of pasta is 100g because it's meant to be eaten as a first course.

200 gram is barely a plate, if you're hungry and not a manlet or women you should be able to eat 350-500 gram of pasta easily.

Competitive eating would be more than a KG of pasta
>>
>>7062041
Half the egg yolks and cheese, probably even less on the cheese, but I never measure it.
>>
>>7062181
Less guanciale, too.
>>
File: chop - Copy.jpg (502 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
chop - Copy.jpg
502 KB, 2448x3264
so here we go:

chopping up the guianciale. I enjoyed the amount we had, about a quarter of a pound. The aroma was fucking incredible. Didn't need any seasoning.
>>
File: gratecheese - Copy.jpg (519 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
gratecheese - Copy.jpg
519 KB, 2448x3264
here's the cheese

We ended up using less than what I was originally going for- we had about a quarter of a cup leftover. the pecorino was awesome.
>>
File: cookin - Copy.jpg (646 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
cookin - Copy.jpg
646 KB, 2448x3264
cookin that shit. definitely make sure to reserve some pasta water. I was pretty paranoid about the sauce being too watery (which is why I went with 4 egg yolks) but it needed some water with the pasta to keep it from being too thick.
>>
File: done - Copy.jpg (517 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
done - Copy.jpg
517 KB, 2448x3264
here's the finished dish. It was fucking incredible.

to people doubting the power of guanciale- I know what bacon tastes like, I know what prosciutto tastes like (I used it in an appetizer before the meal). This fucking guanciale took the dish over the top. I'm never going to even try to make carbonara without it after this. Ridiculously good.
>>
File: middle - Copy.jpg (600 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
middle - Copy.jpg
600 KB, 2448x3264
mid-meal pic. If I did it again (which I will, we had enough ingredients leftover to make it again in a few days), I'd use maybe 1 less egg yolk and more pasta water to make it just a bit creamier. But this is purely nitpicking- it was a delicious fucking meal. That guanciale...fuck.

Now archive this shit. Carbonara THE fucking END.
>>
also, to the people bitching about the amount of pasta used- we had a small appetizer before the meal and were very full after finishing our carbonara. I wouldn't change the amount we cooked.
>>
>>7062794
those are some big chunks anon....not complaining.
>>
>>7062841
mid meal...kek you picked out all of the giaunciale
>>
>>7062882
thought they might be a bit large while cutting, ended up being fine

>>7062886
nah, there were still some chunks hiding underneath the pasta. not going to lie about the power of guanciale though- it makes the fucking dish. if you can find it USE IT.
>>
Anyone from Melbourne know where I can buy Guanciale?
>>
>>7062829
If you have leftover Guanciale make some Sugo all'amatriciana next

>>7063017
It's pork cheek, if you can't find the real deal try Chinese butchers
>>
>>7063017
http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/donatis-fine-meats-carlton
>>
>>7062841
It doesn't look as goopy as I expected it to, but I bet it was extremely rich. Not that that's a bad thing. Would-chow/10 once every few weeks.
>>
>>7063017
try speciality butchers to see if they can order some in. most butchers are happy to see others excited about meats and will occasionally order in for the purpose of both pleasing you and running a special to test if there is a market.

worst case scenario they point you in the right direction.
>>
>>7063023
Thanks sweety, I'll check it out soon.
>>
>>7062841
Good on you Anon. Not enough people on /ck/ actually get around to cooking good food, much less posting a bunch of pictures and commentary about it.

Guanciale ftw.
>>
>>7061746
>how many eggs

How many dishes of finished pasta are you going to make? Use one egg for each dish, plus one for the pan. So if three people are eating, use four eggs.

>how much cheese
I'd suggest going with pecorino romano ONLY. Use as much as you'd like. Put some in the egg mixture, then some more on the pasta when it's done.
>>
>>7062841
You did good OP. I'd eat at your place.
Sincere compliments from a certified italian
>>
>>7063069
*italian american i.e. american
>>
>>7063073
Born in Italy, raised in Italy, lived in Italy. I do have relatives in the US tho :)
>>
>>7063086
say something in italian
>>
File: owefawg.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
owefawg.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>7063069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM
>>
>>7063088
Mama mia
>>
>>7063088
Aspetta un attimo che prima tua sorella deve farmi un pompino
>>
>>7061769
guanciale is from the jowel
>>
>>7062829
Nice looking carbonara OP. Can you describe the guanciale at all?
>>
>>7063110
y-you too
>>
>>7063021
I do have some leftover, I'll try it, thanks for the suggestion

>>7063025
Yeah I think we could've used another ladle of pasta water, but I was just too paranoid of it being too watery. Rather have it thick over watery.

>>7064229
Much closer to pancetta than bacon, but unlike either of them. Salty but had full savory flavor. This is a horrible description and I'm sorry, but I'm never going to even try this dish again unless it has guanciale.

To the nice fu/ck/s in this thread, thanks for the compliments. If some more meme dishes keep popping up and the posts drive me insane again, I'll probably do another thread like this.
>>
>>7064736
*excuse me, much closer to prosciutto than bacon, didn't mean to say pancetta
>>
good thread OP, I almost want to make carbonara now
>>
Cravings for pasta atm
>>
>>7063110
A la verga..
>>
>>7065432
a la whut?
>>
>>7062829

<not fettuccine or farfalle or even orichette

opinion discarded.
>>
>>7062829

You can make a mix between guanciale and pancetta. 2:1. It will taste the same, but less greasy.

The number of egg you use is "number of people +1". The full fucking egg. Not juste the yolk.

For the cheese : half pecorino, half parmigiano

You mix the eggs and add some cheese until it's a bit thick.
Add to this mix A FUCKING LOAD of black pepper ! The one you crunch by your own ! not the powder shit with no taste you'll find in a supermarket !
You cook the meat (you can put some garlic in the pan if you want).
Cook the pasta with some salt (big/rock one, not the one you'll find on your table) (1 minute less than the instructions).
Add one or two spoons of the water of the pasta in the cheese/egg mix.

Put everything back in a bowl, mix eveything and done !
>>
I want to propose a new board /carb/ for all you dumb fuck trolls and dumb trolled fucks.
>>
>>7067222
do you know how stupid you sound
>>
>>7067229
>the year is 21xx
>4chan has become the sole method of communication
>authorities lost count of the number of boards decades ago
>boards fracture into more specific topics every day
>human progress has halted completely
>we spend every waking hour in vicious argument about indistinguishable differences
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.