[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Salmon Fillets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: salmon-category1.jpg (85 KB, 496x279) Image search: [Google]
salmon-category1.jpg
85 KB, 496x279
Should I pan sear them or just throw them into the oven?
>>
>>7061462
Pan searing takes a somewhat long time because you'll have to cook them at low heat. Oven cooking will require less work and no need to worry about undercooking, as long as you follow the standards for oven cooking whole salmon fillet. Oven cooking also tastes better because the unhealthy fatty parts get absorbed and the others stay inside, stored in the salmon.
>>
pan searing is literally 100000% better than oven baking or roasting unless you have the sun for an oven
>>
>>7061478

everything

EVERYTHING about this post is retarded.
>>
>>7061478
>Oven cooking also tastes better because the unhealthy fatty parts get absorbed and the others stay inside, stored in the salmon.
you're killing your father, larry
>>
Sear a little then poach until it's done to your liking
>>
>>7061478
if you must post here, don't give advice
>>
i like them "al cartoccio" in the oven with lemon juice and mustard
>>
pan sear.
>>
File: IMG_0626.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
How'd I do?
>>
>>7061478
1/10 nobody can be this stupid

>>7061462
obviously pan sear your salmon fillets. I like to coat mine with a thin pepper crust and a bit of lemon juice, and sear each side <30 seconds.
>>
>>7062628
Is that salmon marinated?
If so, looks good

If not, I think your salmon was fucked. You're probably shitting yourself right now
>>
>>7061462
Why even ask. Always sear
>>
A little blackening seasoning rubbed in, throw that shit on a cast iron skillet and sear it for 3-5 minutes on each side depending on the size of the filet. Easy as all hell and delish.

I made honey dijon salmon a couple days ago and it turned out really well, although it was baked. paprika, curry powder, salt, pepper, honey, and dijon mustard stirred up and applied liberally to the filets. Can baste mid-bake it you like as well. Good for chicken too actually.
>>
Salt, score and sear for a bit then finish off in the oven

That way you get a nice crisp skin and the other side is nice and soft
>>
Thick "fresh" ones, bake. Frozen thin ones, pan-sear.
>>
>>7062628
looks good as fuck desu, but it might just be because I'm starving
>>
>>7061462
Fish should not be cooked with the skin on unless it is cooked whole

Especially with salmon, you must blanch the skin by careful running it through hot water (need not be scalding) as to keep the flesh dry, then simply pull the skin off by hand. When you get a touch for it, it should take a firm hand to separate the skin from the flesh, it should not be so easy that it just slides off, if this is the case you have overdone the blanching.

The application of heat depends entirely upon how you wish to accompany the fish with seasoning and other ingredients of the dish.

An easy way to get good flavor is to sear the fish in flavorful oil and heat the interior in the oven
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAFkYm3u1Q
>>
File: 1373134684945.jpg (9 KB, 208x250) Image search: [Google]
1373134684945.jpg
9 KB, 208x250
>>7064370
>Fish should not be cooked with the skin on unless it is cooked whole
>>
I always cook mine simply in the oven with salt and pepper and a few large chunks of garlic on top. I must try pan searing it.

The main thing with salmon imo is not to overcook it.
>>
>>7062628
If you see this, mind dropping the reciepe?
>>
>>7061478
9/10

Almost made me write a wall of text.
>>
>>7064370
>>7061478

Look at all these people who think they know what they're talking about
>>
>>7061462
make lox
eat it raw
pan sear
if you throw it in the even do it with a lot of vegetables and aluminum foil over top
>>
>>7061462
Wrap it in tin foil with some light seasoning on top after marinating a while, add some lemon and rosemary on top, and then BBQ that sucker in the tin foil.
>>
File: PANO_20151105_093748.jpg (951 KB, 3032x2186) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20151105_093748.jpg
951 KB, 3032x2186
>>7061462
Salt and pepper non-skin side. Marinate with a yuzu dressing for one hour at room temperature. Sear on hot skillet both sides until medium-rare. Serve over mixed greens salad with a drizzle of addt'l dressing and some quality wasabi.
>>
>>7065888
Sure thing

The marinade was maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, paprika and salt.

I pan seared the salmon on high heat, skin down for most of the time

Asparagus is steamed with some butter

Noodles are just rice noodles with onion, scallion, bell pepper and a bit of hoisin and sriracha
>>
Probably a pleb tier recipe, but it ends up tasting pretty good:

1 salmon fillet (1 pound)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

Cut salmon widthwise into four pieces. Place in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Brush evenly over salmon. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
>>
>>7061462
you should fuck them with your penis, if you have one
>>
sear them over 1000 degree charcoals and wood chips for 30 seconds each side. Then wrap them up to let residual heat finish the cooking.
>>
Salmon is one of the few things that is not completely horrible when steamed, in my opinion
>>
>>7068736
Can even be poached
>>
Sweet and sour glaze -- there are many variations-- and broiling is good too. I'm not a fan of putting in in the oven any other way. It's either pan sear hot hot hot or broil.

My go-to vegetable with it is roasted carrots and shallots w/evoo, salt, pepper, lemon juice. Starch is rice.
>>
File: 1438860823805.jpg (41 KB, 394x273) Image search: [Google]
1438860823805.jpg
41 KB, 394x273
>>7064370
>i dont eat fried salmon skin
>>
>>7064370
Holy shit you fucking pleb
>>
Slather them in pesto and broil for like 8-10 Minutes. Its my go to salmon recipie
>>
>>7064370
I have seen some stupid shit posted on /ck/ during the past 283 years but this post is the absolute dumbest of the dumb.
>>
>>7064370
Can you stop talking to us (me).
>>
Sometimes I cut it real thin, I only put soy sauce and black sesame on it and I leave it on a searing hot pan for just under a minute, it's not bad
>>
>>7062628
Way overcooked, and too decadent with the asparagus
>>
to everyone talking about keeping the skin on:
that is for a very specific preparation method.

you simply cannot get the fish to heat evenly when one side is insulated

just try it once okay. make some nice rare seared salmon and tell me its trash

or look it up, i know it's not the most popular idea, but it has some backing in popular opinion. not to mention the logic behind it.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.