[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
please help. how do i make eggs. so when i look it up online,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: sunny-side-up-eggs-3.jpg (48 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
sunny-side-up-eggs-3.jpg
48 KB, 620x413
please help. how do i make eggs.

so when i look it up online, they say "start off with high heat but when you put in the eggs immediately turn it down to medium"

is this really necessary? can i just leave it on medium the whole time? and is medium really the best temp anyway?

and how do i know when the eggs are done? i notice that sometimes when they "seem" done, the top of the eggs still have some of that gross gooey stuff (not the yolk, but the really sticky stuff that comes out when you break the egg). should all of that be gone?
>>
come on the cooking board motherfuckers don't even know how to cook eggs...
>>
>>7060690
first off, you can make eggs in an infinite number of ways. fried? sunny side up? scrambled? fritatta?
>>
If you're having trouble getting the eggs to cook on top, put a lid on ya dingus.
>>
>>7060699
This isn't /b/. It's only been three minutes faggot.

I was going to help you, but now you can just fuck off.
>>
>>7060690
are you serious

i cant cook for shit and still know to put a lid on
>>
The 'gross sticky stuff' is the egg white. It's the white shit. When you start the pan with a high heat, the residual heat left in the pan will set up the whites almost immediately.

1. Crack your eggs into a separate container. It makes the process of frying them much faster.

2. Set non-stick pan over high heat with a tablespoon of butter. Let melt.

3. The moment that butter is melted, pour the eggs in. Lower the heat to medium or medium-low. Cover with a lid. Let cook until you reach the desired doneness.
>>
>>7060718

Also, add salt once they're done.
>>
Nah,

1. Put on medium

2. Swirl your cold butter stick from the fridge in a circle a few times per egg

3. Crack egg in pan, use edge of spatula to move the set whites and allow the uncooked to touch the pan

4. Salt and pepper

5. Put in a handful of water (or better yet an ice cube or two), and put on the lid

6. Remove the lid and serve.
>>
>>7060711

OP here, that wasnt me. Dont know what the poster was doing
>>
Poached egg is better
>>
>>7060718
>>7060728

Thank you so much for the advice, but I don't have a lid....Am I fucked?
>>
>>7060737
How do you not have a lid?
>>
>>7060737
looks like it's over easy for you,shithawk
>>
>>7060737

>>7060737

Use a plate that will firmly cover the top of your pan.

Also, the water trick that >>7060728 provided is sound advice. I might start doing it myself.
>>
>>7060748

im ok with that. so basically i just flip the eggs over at some point?when do i know when its time? and when do i know the other side is done?

i know i sound really stupid, because i am stupid, i just moved out and my mom always made me everything
>>
>>7060758
Once the base is cooked enough that you can flip it, flip it
>>
>>7060762
this. when the whites are set (i.e. white, opaque, not see-through)

Also you better be using some form of non-stick, or you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
Well I kinda fucked up. I even sprayed the no-stick butter spray, but when I tried to flip it some of it still stuck. They were edible but very flimsy, shitty eggs. So I tried to make two more and it worked a bit better but not much. My dexterity is so bad, I'm just really horrible at flipping it all evenly. Plus when I crack the egg, the whites always go everyone over the pan instead of forming a nice circle.
>>
>>7060771
That's sound device also.
>>
>>7060837
We believe in you, OP.
>>
>>7060837
they rarely do form a nice circle (especially if you are doing a bunch of eggs in the pan around the edge) but you can do the butter swirl technique mentioned before that helps.
>>
File: Ck tries to cook an egg.gif (402 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Ck tries to cook an egg.gif
402 KB, 500x375
>>
ON THE HEAT
>>
>>7060872
OFF THE HEAT
>>
the reason you start with high heat is so the pan heats up quickly enough to deliver enough heat into the whites as they hit the pan to stop them spreading. you just want the egg to not spread too much. not as big an issue when you have very fresh eggs.

keep it on low heat from then on and you can just leave it and the heat will slowly penetrate upwards without overcooking the white.
>>
What if I want to make an omelette? This is what I do and it always comes out wrong somehow

>heat pan on medium, put oil
>whisk egg separately into watery form
>pour into pan
>let it sit and thicken
>use spatula to start pushing in the edges, tilting pan so that runny egg takes up new space
>do this around all the edges
>eventually not much runny egg left
>try to go for the flip
>egg does not slide enough to go for flip
>put in toppings
>attempt to fold
>spaces that were filled in with the newer runny egg tear almost immediately
>center of the omelette looks brown, almost like it was fried
>end up just turning it into a scramble

Not enough oil? too much oil? Is the flip even necessary?
>>
>>7060892

use butter, not oil. as much as you want to eat because it will be absorbed. make sure you're using a burner that can put out plenty of heat.

STIR your omelette as soon as it hits the pan, stir it like crazy, basically scramble it until just before it stops being fluid. move the pan as much as you move whatever you're stirring with. takes about 5 seconds. then tilt and swirl the pan until the still liquid bits fill in all the gaps, lower the heat, tilt the pan so about two thirds of the egg slides to the side of the pan furthest from you, and set it down for about 10 seconds. then fold the closest third of the omelette over, tilt the pan away from you and bash the pan handle with your wrist so the furthest third rolls over the top. leave on the heat til cooked to your liking and tip it into the plate.

it should not take more than 30 seconds.
>>
There's a protein in the yolk that makes it cook slower. It also affects the white around the yolk.
You can break some of it with salt. If you do not have a lid, add salt AROUND the yolk to help the white cooking evenly.
There
>>
>>7060910

That sounds pretty good. I'll try it. I'm guessing I put the toppings inside the omelette before I roll it over.
>>
>>7060943

>There's a protein in the yolk

i think it's more just the ratio of protein in the system than the type of protein, might be wrong though.
>>
>>7060952

yeah.

for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU
>>
>>7060837
you want enough fat in the pan the egg can just slide around freely.

tilt the pan away from you until the egg slides down and is sitting halfway on the side of the pan.Then put you spatula behind the egg and pull forward while you tilt the pan back down.

After some practice you can do it even without a spatula.

Note that the more eggs you cook at a time the harder this is to do.
>>
>>7060892
>omelet
use room temperature eggs
>>
>>7060953
You might be right, point still stands.
>>
>>7060690
>i notice that sometimes when they "seem" done, the top of the eggs still have some of that gross gooey stuff (not the yolk, but the really sticky stuff that comes out when you break the egg).

A spoon. All you need is a fucking spoon. Spoon some of the hot oil or butter over the whites while your egg is frying. By the time it's done, the yolk would still be easy and the white would be done.
>>
Non-stick for an omelet perhaps.
otherwise, well seasoned cast iron.
>>
OP how is that even possible? Are you even a real human? Why don't you know what egg whites are?
>>
>>7060711
I think that was another poster criticising OP for not knowing how to cook eggs.
>>
https://youtu.be/42dbuhteL4o
I've done this. It's cool, but takes too long
>>
File: matumbaman.jpg (150 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
matumbaman.jpg
150 KB, 640x427
>there are people on /ck/ who cook eggs on high heat and with a lid

you cook eggs between 124 and 138 degrees celsius, that's low or medium low depending on your stove

if you're using a lid you ruin the yolk and won't get a properly cooked sunny side up egg

if you brown the egg white you're using too high heat
>>
>>7061764

>if you're using a lid you ruin the yolk

no you don't
>>
>>7061768
If you use the lid to hit the egg you do
>>
>>7060993
Yeah because im going to let my eggs get to room temp before cooking breakfast
>>7060732
The guy cant even fry an egg and you recommend poaching
>big mac
>>
>medium-high heat (5-6 out of 10)
>let pan heat up
>drop in butter, should sizzle
>add eggs
>when whites begin to get opaque, flip
>turn off heat after like 5 sec or so
>let cook another 10-15 sec or so
wala
>>
>>7061791
>The guy cant even fry an egg and you recommend poaching
poaching is so easy
>boil water
>turn off heat once rolling
>drop in eggs that you cracked into small dish
>take out when done with slotted spoon
>>
>>7061801
Show me a pic of a poached egg you've made
>>
File: eggs (2).png (3 MB, 1528x1364) Image search: [Google]
eggs (2).png
3 MB, 1528x1364
>>7061804
disregard the shitty rice, it was morning and i left the heat on too long before lowering it
>>
File: IMG_2352.jpg (546 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2352.jpg
546 KB, 3264x2448
>>7061804

i basically follow the same method except i only turn the heat low after about 15 seconds of poaching and here are mine
>>
>>7061801
If this is your method, your eggs will fall to bits at least half the time.
>>
>>7061828
never had one fall apart on me or break or anything. but i only poached eggs for two or three weeks until i replaced my shitty pan with a nice new calphalon because i couldnt use it to fry eggs anymore
>>
File: 1423770530760.jpg (32 KB, 576x470) Image search: [Google]
1423770530760.jpg
32 KB, 576x470
>>7061801
>he doesn't just poach them in a tied plastic bag
>>
>>7061816
>>7061825
i assumed your eggs would look like shit with that method
but i have to be honest, they look good
>>
>>7061831
the only key is to crack the eggs beforehand into a small bowl, individually, and add them into the water slowly
>>
>>7061831

why do you assume that - what about it fucks it up?
>>
>>7061829
Honestly, with your water near rolling and without swirling it, your eggs shouldn't come out in one piece. You must buy really good eggs.
>>
>>7061837

you should be using fresh eggs anyway, and a gentle boil actually helps keep eggs intact. swirling is retarded.
>>
>>7061837
i like the rolling boil because it helps keep my eggs from just resting at the bottom of the pot and overcooking. and i just buy whatever eggs walmart sells in the pink cartons
>>
>>7061834
I usually crack into a bowl with a little vinegar
Bring the water to a simmer
Create a whirlpool and pour the egg in
>>
>>7061839
Where do you buy fresh eggs? How do you know how fresh they are?
>>
>>7061853

there are ways of telling if they're fresh enough, but generally just use the ones with the furthest away date of expiry of them. if they're not fresh, strain off the thin white. i buy them all over the place.

>>7061849

that's cool, but vinegar and the whirlpool aren't *necessary*. whirlpool quite helps with one egg, much less manageable with multiple.
>>
>>7061853
City dwellers.
Can't keep chickens.
Most supermarket eggs are 3-6 weeks old when they hit the shelves.
>>
>>7061914

no they aren't. the standard maximum shelf life is 4 weeks from lay you idiot.
>>
>>7061877
I'm going to try the method you recommend tonight, i'll post the results if the threads still up
>>
>>7061936

remember just don't crack them into the water, gently tip them in from a plate into still bubbling water and you'll probably be fine. don't do it from a height.
>>
>>7061877
How long away should the expiration date be if I want them fresh enough to poach? I've been cooking 1 at a time and reheating them in the water, sometimes overcooking them. In the UK btw.
>>
>>7061947

realistically 2-3 weeks away if they're supermarket eggs. i'm a brit too. if you're planning on using them to poach or fry, store them in the fridge. storing them outside it is fine if you're using them for meringue or something because aged whites whip up better, btw.
>>
>>7061764
Screw you. I like brown, crispy sides on my egg whites.
>>
>>7061791
>Yeah because im going to let my eggs get to room temp before cooking breakfast
Run them under warm water.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.