[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you cu/ck/s like in your beef stew? I like onions, parsnips,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
what do you cu/ck/s like in your beef stew? I like onions, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, and peas.
>>
onion, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, celery, carrots, ginger. just like my grandma used to make.
>>
>>7060692
>>7060679
>no beef
>/ck/
>>
>>7060696
Beef was implied dumbfuck
>>
File: Betterthansalt.jpg (136 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Betterthansalt.jpg
136 KB, 480x270
I like to infuse mine with the flavour of a Knorr beef stock pot. Why? it makes it taste better.
>>
>>7060679
Damn that looks amazing. I would just add some yellow corn, but not a lot.It contributes nicely to the visual appeal and adds a sweet crunch here and there.
>>
>>7060692
Interesting on the ginger
>>
>>7060719
Well, she's Macanese, but it works pretty well to grate some fresh ginger in there. Also chilis. Both to add some zing.
>>
>>7060713
Would you just fucking die, please?
>>
>>7060679
I prefer to fry the chuck like a steak, and then braise it in what will become mushroom onion gravy. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and green peas.

Throwing everything into a pot is pleb-tier.
>>
>>7060713
Instead add some corn syrup. Really brings out that beefy flavor
>>
>>7060749
uhh, that's called stew dumbass.
>>
>>7060775
It's called a roast with sides, dumb ass.
>>
>>7060749
This is a stew thread, you idiot. Take your dish to another thread if you wanna be a special snowflake.

I like using onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and shallots in my beef stew. Do you guys use beer or wine as a base for the sauce?
>>
File: Beef_stew_(15707525894).jpg (4 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
Beef_stew_(15707525894).jpg
4 MB, 4928x3264
>>7060755
No.

>>7060734
Are you seriously this ass-blasted about a little corn in beef stew?
>>
File: ackchyually.png (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ackchyually.png
24 KB, 200x200
>>7060782
>>
>>7060778
nice reading comperehension

>Throwing everything into a pot is pleb-tier.
That's literally what a fucking stew is. Dumbass. And what type of thread are you in?
>>
>>7060679
Silverskin onions are nice.

I'd prefer to roast parsnips separately if I had them, it seems a shame to just stew them.
>>
>>7060789
>comperehension
What were you saying, again?
>>
>>7060813
>oh shit I got shown up
>thank god they made a typo for me to latch on to
>>
>>7060710
It's gluten free!
>>
>>7060787
nice meme
>>
>>7060710
>RICH BEEF

Holy hell, it's italic. Why would you ever buy boring old regular BEEF?
>>
Beer
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2758x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2758x2448
I made some dank beef and guinness stew last night.
>>
I like onions, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, and peas.
>>
What cut does everyone use? I used to use silverside, but I tried short rib last time and I think it's far better, plus you get bones for stock.
>>
>>7060940
Chuck, short rib and brisket point are my favorites. Anything that is a tough working muscle with lots of connective tissue to break down work well.
>>
>>7060940
>plus you get bones for stock.
You didn't cook them with the bone on in your stew? Or do you mean you reused them?

Short ribs are excellent but kind of expensive, at least where I shop. I use chuck because it's typically pretty cheap, very flavorful and perfectly suited for braising.
>>
pearl barley, turnip, potato, onion and carrot. with either beer or red wine
>>
>>7060948
I was actually making a pie, so I took the bones out the day before and roasted them off for stock. Used about half for the sauce.
>>
>>7060679
chuck, potato, onion, celery, carrot, red wine, beef stock, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, fish sauce
>>
File: img_0873.jpg (148 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
img_0873.jpg
148 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>7061035
My china. That a tea leaf from the cheese?
>>
>>7060940
I don't know what the cut is called in English, but it's number 8 in pic related.
>>
>>7061099
shank probably, thats a good one for stew
>>
>>7060825
Sounds really healthy :^)
>>
>>7060692
>>7060719
I use ginger too, it really helps to open up the flavors. Without it (and a little orange juice) the flavors don't bloom as well, as if its almost too densely savory and compact.
>>
>>7060940
Every time its a little different since I get what's on sale, wish I'd recorded the cuts I've used though.
>>
>>7060679
Basically that plus rutabaga.
>>
>>7060679
Onion and carrots. I serve it with mashed potatoes and cabbage.
>>
>>7060679
carrots, garlic, paprica
>>
Beef, onion, yukon golds, frozen peas thrown in in the last half hour

I don't like carrots
>>
Mushrooms, potato, mirepoix, ftw
>>
are there any special tips/ricks for adding in mushrooms or can I toss them in at the start?
>>
>>7065488
The only non retarded way to add mushrooms is to bake (colour) them in hot butter with lots of pepper, some salt, a little bit of lemon juice and thinly chopped shallots and add those when your stew is almost ready. Do not overdo them. Finely chopped parsley is allowed as well, those need to be added at the very end as well.

If you prepare your mushrooms any other way you should basically kill yourself and make room for a chinese/indian child. Seriously.
>>
>>7065303
mushrooms...?
>>
>>7065557
why not? If you get the timing right I don't see why you couldn't add them to a good beef stew? You can throw pretty much everything in there.
>>
I always use onions, carrots, a bit of finely diced celery, bay leaf, garlic, potatoes, and copious amounts of black pepper.

Tomato, dark beer, butter, peas, cumin, hot peppers, and a bit of flour usually find their way in as well.
>>
>>7060679
Beef (and sometimes lamb)
Beef Stock
Stout (Guinness extra stout, the non creamy one)
Little bit of red wine
Onions
Celery
Carrots
Parsnips(though they never seem to cook right)
Potatoes
Salt,White and Black Pepper,Garlic,Parsely,Thyme
>>
>>7060786
When you chuck in corn you cross the line to vegetable beef fucktard
>>
>>7060692
>>7060724
>>7062756
how much ginger to use?
>>
>>7060786

Not the same guy, but yeah I am pretty assblasted about corn in stew as well.
>>
>>7060679
Instead of putting potatoes in the stew, I like to boil them seperate, then crush them and crisp them up a bit in some of the tallow that renders out of the beef when I'm searing it, then serve the stew over them instead of noodles. I also like to melt a few anchovy filets with the aromatics when I saute them. Ground porcinis too. You can't tell that they're in their at all with the finished dish, but you will notice that the sauce is just more savory in general.
>>
>>7060679
venison
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.