[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xocolatl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Anyone else a fan? I've been getting tired of just drinking coffee in the morning so here's my new routine.

In a small saucepan:

>Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan and heat over medium temperature - I have enjoyed both unsalted butter and coconut oil.

>Add 4 crushed cardamon pods, cinnamon, nutmeg, and two halved habaneros. Cook until lightly toasted and aromatic (~1min)

>Add 1 cup water or milk and simmer over medium-low heat for 10min

In a medium saucepan a the same time:

>Heat oil over medium-high heat

>Add about 1/4 bar pure dark chocolate that has been finely grated or broken up

>Reduce heat to lowest setting and melt

>Add 1 cup strong coffee and stir until combined

>Pour contents of small saucepan into the chocolate pan through a strainer

>Whisk to combine then enjoy hot or cold

Thoughts?

Personally, I would love to see a drink available in stores that is 1/2 cold brew and 1/2 xocolatl.

I've also heard about people using corn starch as a thickener, but I haven't really tried that yet.
>>
this sounds like a gteat idea for the weekend but holy fuck who can be bothered on weekdays
>>
>>7058912
That's what I was thinking. Sounds really delicious for an occasional treat, but seems like way too much for an every day pick me up like coffee.
>>
>>7058912
>>7058918

Ehh fair enough. I usually have these on the back burner while my oatmeal cooks. Once I get the routine down, it takes me around 20 min to make breakfast then 30 min to eat and watch an ep of something before I go to class/work.

In a rush I usually just use a few dashes of cayenne instead of whole peppers. Cuts down on prep by a lot.
>>
>>7058942
Goddamn, senpai.
It sounds rad but how early do you get up? I have time to shower, dress, and race to the station before work and that's it
>>
>>7058898
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you should never directly melt chocolate in a pan (i.e. without a bain-marie). Doesn't it fuck up the consistency?
>>
It's always been sort of odd to me that the only two stimulating chemicals commonly found in beverages are alcohol and caffeine.
>>
>>7061469
in a perfect libertarian society, we would have Methamphetamine or Opioid-based energy drinks but the FUCKIN' GOVERNMENT MAAAAAAN AND THE WAR ON DRUGS MAAAAAN TRYING TO CONTROL YOU MAAAAAAN JUST LIKE PARENTS
>>
>>7061546
Freedom hating statist pls go back to /pol/
>>
>>7061136

Good call. Seems kind of obvious now that I think about it - I've not working that much with chocolate desu. I'll try this next time!
>>
>>7061664
don't worry, it's literally the only thing I know about working with chocolate

I'd like to say I'd try your recipe because it seems like a fun method, but if I'm honest I'm probably not going to because I'm not a huge fan of sweet coffee.

Cool concept anyway
>>
>>7061697

Thanks, but sweet?

As long as you use dark chocolate, this will not be sweet at all. There is no sweetener in the recipe I posted. I agree, sweet coffee is terrible - I always drink black coffee.
>>
>>7061712
fair enough

on a similar note, I just remembered a chocolate bar I used to get a lot that you'll probably like

It's called Maya Gold (by Green & Blacks) and I guess it's based on a similar thing to what you posted. Dunno about the availability or if it's even the same recipe as when I used to get it, but it was absolutely delicious
>>
You guys think keffir lime leaves would go well with this?
>>
>>7061732

Oh yeah...I work at Whole Foods and have seen plenty of spicy dark chocolate bars. It seems like it was a big 'it' flavor for a while. To me, it's just not as enjoyable when it's not a drink, but I'm not really a fan of eating chocolate anyway.

I did find one bar though by a local company that used chipotle peppers and added smoke flavoring for a dark chocolate bar. It was super good.
>>
>>7061738

Interesting.....I have a few fresh keffir limes right now - I might try making it with their zest tomorrow morning. Do you think that would work?

I suppose you could use a variety of spice combos... you really only have to pair it with the chocolate, the coffee, and/or any sweetener added.
>>
>>7058898
>2 habaneros for 2 cups of liquid

You're a fucking madman.
>>
File: Moctezuma-01[1].jpg (13 KB, 203x289) Image search: [Google]
Moctezuma-01[1].jpg
13 KB, 203x289
>>7058918>>7058912

>he doesn't drink dozens of cups of hot chocolate a day out of a golden cup
>he doesn't have the vigor to satiate his harem due to lack of cacao
>>
>>7061136
what i've experienced is less of a consistency as much as it tastes burnt (even if not burned)

easy option: microwave, stirring very often

but if you're already putting this much effort in, double boiler is the way.
>>
File: 1.png (101 KB, 822x796) Image search: [Google]
1.png
101 KB, 822x796
>milk in xocolatl
Isn't that just hot chocolate?

I made something close to "authentic" xocolatl a while back when I got my hands on some raw cocoa beans. Basically, roast the beans, then grind them into a paste with a mortar and pestle. Then transfer the paste to a saucepan with water, vanilla bean and green chili and simmer, vigorously whisking it until the cocoa paste is more or less evenly dissolved. Simmer for a good 10 minutes or so, then pour through a fine strainer to catch the chili rings, vanilla pod and any cocoa sludge that didn't dissolve. Allow to cool and drink at room temperature.

I believe the indians also added dried corn that they ground up in the mortar so that the starch in the corn would thicken the drink. It may have been sweetened with honey, though I think it was usually not supposed to be sweet. They may also have poured the finished drink from one cup to another to create foam, like teh tarik. I omitted all these.

It was one of the worst thing I've ever tasted, and I'm the kind of a person who likes very dark chocolate and black coffee. It's possible that committing human sacrifice on top of a pyramid is a necessary prerequisite to being able to enjoy real xocolatl.
>>
>>7058898
>cinnamon
>cardamom
>chocolate
>coffee
Just call if hot chocolate.

>two pots
Far too much mess and work for a morning routine.

>fill thermos flask half up with boiling water
>add unsweetened cocoa powder
>shake thermos
>top up with more boiling water
>shake thermos
If in the mood for it, spice and/or sweeteners will be added along with cocoa.
There's something nice about having a hot brew in the pocket of your winter coat.
>>
>>7058918
>100% pure unsweetened chocolate mixed with fat and dry spices
>delicious

there is a reason the aztecs went extinct..

...deforestation mostly, fucked up the climate of the area, not enough fresh water for drinking or agriculture.
but I'm sure drinking that swill didn't help!
>>
>>7064541
That sounds like shit.
>>
>>7058898
Sounds like way too much hassle
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.