[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here has had purple potatos? Do they taste different, why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: Purple Potatos.jpg (22 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
Purple Potatos.jpg
22 KB, 300x240
Who here has had purple potatos? Do they taste different, why are they so expensive?
>>
It depends on the variety and how they are grown. Some are flavorful, but most are bland.
>>
>>7058049
>why are they so expensive?
I imagine that unlike the mass produced varieties grown for commercial purposes, they're much more susceptible to disease and pests.

Also lower demand being another reason that they're not as widely grown.

No clue about the taste.
>>
>>7058049
They are expensive because people eat with their eyes first and purple is not a good color for food. Had it a couple of times. Didn't really recall much of it.
>>
>>7058049
>why are they so expensive?

~60 year marketing campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiieI3BMoCU
>>
They taste good. I would guess that they are more difficult to grow and less common, which means you pay a premium for them.

http://www.europotato.org/display_description.php?variety_name=Peru%20Purple
>>
they taste similar to pistachios
I have wanted to make mashed potatoes out of them for a while but never see them fresh in the store.
pretty good, the ones I have had are yukon gold tier
>>
>>7058049
I bought a bunch at the farmers market last month. Still working though the bag. I normally get red but purple seemed like a nice change.

Even the "expensive" ones aren't that expensive. The main drawback is you need to cook carefully in a nice shirt because the juice can stain.
>>
File: WP_20150914_001.jpg (2 MB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150914_001.jpg
2 MB, 1840x3264
>>7058059
pretty much what this guy says. I have actually eaten them a lot. they taste almost just like normal potatoes and act the same. if you overcook them and dry them out, they become grainy and fall apart, however, you can also quarter them and cook em off with some thyme and rosemary, and they look funky, but taste good.
First ones i had were given to me by my neighbor, in her family her kids wont eat them because they say it's a bad color. go figure, haha. upcoming year I'm going to grow them in my garden. she gave me a whole bucket, so I left some for the seed. I'm planning on doing something like brined fried chicken on top of the purple potato mash with some delta salt and a hotsauce. could come out neat. :-)

pic semi related, it's my greenhouse. my outdoor garden is a lot bigger. there are leaks, beets, radishes, lot's of leafy veggies, cauliflowers, carrots and spices and lots of other things. in the greenhouse there are mainly tomatoes!
>>
>>7058660
all heirloom, by the way! also, I live in east-north eu
>>
>>7058049

Enjoy your indigo stained teeth.
>>
>>7058668
not true :)
it's not half as bad as if you would to eat blueberries.
>>
>>7058712

Simply cutting them on a wooden chop block stains it to the point of having to scour it off.
>>
>>7058714
What is your point? I do a lot of crazy shit to get good taste and new things on my table. Even if it means to stain my cutting board permanently. (oh no!)
>>
>>7058738
This

My cutting board can't be stained by these potatoes because I've already cut tons of beats on it. Too many foods stain to worry about it. All that matters is the board is clean.
>>
>>7058747
yup. I scrub it off with robot pubes and hot, soapy water, keeps it clean and smells good. I sometimes even leave a layer of salt overnight on the board if i have cut meat on it. just to make sure I get out all of the nasty stuff.

and beets rock.
>>
>>7058753

You're 17, everything you say is invalidated in an instant.
>>
>>7058668
Don't be mean.
>>
What exactly is a "flavorful" potato supposed to taste like?
>>
>>7058779
blue
>>
>tfw never seen these in stores around me (Copenhagen)
>tfw really want to try making mashed potatoes from these, regular and sweet potato
>put in piping bag
>create fabulous tri-colored mashed potato dishes
>>
>>7058049
>pays jews a premium to pump jew vegetables full of jewish spermicide to kill non-jews
>>
>>7058666
See, that is one swell setup, but it wouldn't work for my climate.

That looks great for places with real winter though, do you use it over the winter?
>>
>>7058806
>mixing sweet potatoes and regular potatoes
DELETE THIS
>>
>>7058049
They taste exactly like normal potatoes.

Disappointing to be sure. Textures are different just like every variety of potato though.
>>
>>7058059

Yeah, this. My family owns a garden center. We sell the common varieties of seed potatoes (Kennebec, Red Pontiac, etc.) for $0.99/lb in bulk.

We've carried a variety of purples the last couple years pre-packaged for $5.99 for five small potatoes, because we can only get a hold of them from expensive, boutique wholesalers. They always sell out quickly though.

>>7058660

Nice setup.
>>
Amazing for roasting, crisp up like a dream, but I wouldn't use them for anything else
>>
File: 1446822119073.jpg (39 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1446822119073.jpg
39 KB, 498x500
Ignore all these faggots

They taste like shite, literally like you got a bunch of potatoes and soaked them in cabbage water for a week

Fucking FAGGOTS AHHHHHHH
>>
File: 14potato_600.jpg (86 KB, 600x359) Image search: [Google]
14potato_600.jpg
86 KB, 600x359
>>7058806
They're really common where I live at the markets (NY)

A lot of potato varieties get pumped out of Cornell and their affiliates upstate, so in the autumn the markets are flooded with potatoes in all colors.

It's a regional thing though. I think in monoculture flyover land the only potatoes they know about are russet and yukon gold. Assuming they know about those at all - probably more like boxed potato flakes and frozen tater tots.
>>
used to grow and sell them, they are very purple indeed but a terrible potato, gluey and tasteless. not worth it in any way
>>
>>7058779

very fragrant, sweet and savory with floral, butter and earth notes, feathery and light in the mouth and a smooth finish. a really good fresh potato doesnt need anything but a pinch of salt and varieties have distinct flavor profiles
>>
>>7058806
I usually do it with brocolli, potato and sweet potato or carrots, maybe a few cloves of blended raw garlic for that edge
>>
>>7058049
there's a key food a couple blocks from me that has them on the regular for $1.49/lb. they're a bit sweeter than a regular potato
>>
File: purple-potato.jpg (1 MB, 3137x2137) Image search: [Google]
purple-potato.jpg
1 MB, 3137x2137
>>7058049
I have had blue potatoes (the ones you posted) and purple sweet potatoes (pic related.)

The blue potatoes taste pretty much the same as regular ones, but the purple sweet potatoes are sweeter and have a more velvety texture.
>>
>>7059182
Was this a troll post?
>>
>>7059156
The fuck are you talking about? Nobody knows potatoes better than us "flyovers"
>>
File: fridays_potato_skins.jpg (255 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fridays_potato_skins.jpg
255 KB, 500x500
>>7059454
I meant potatoes that you cook, not the kind that come in a freezer box
>>
>>7058172
I hope that you mean cook them in a crappy shirt and not a nice one.
>>
>>7059182
This. Although I disagree with your sentiment on the salt. A good frightening brings out the transcendental background flavors of the potato that makes it a highlight of any dish rather than just a side.
>>
>>7059466
You can cook them in a crappy shirt, but you don't need to be so careful.
>>
>>7059397

No. a good potato cooked well is a sincerely delightful food
>>
Its sweet as fuck but like a regular potato but sweet no distinct flavor on its own

Not like regular sweet potatos or yams

So its pretty boring
>>
>>7059454
The North east and North west got you beat on potato fluency.
>>
>>7060780
But muh monoculture! All food comes from flyover land! I know this because I live in flyover land and I've never seen food that isn't monoculture plastic fake food!
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.