[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 20 since yesterday and i want to buy some nice whisky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 13
File: 583290.jpg (79 KB, 600x1200) Image search: [Google]
583290.jpg
79 KB, 600x1200
I'm 20 since yesterday and i want to buy some nice whisky to celebrate with, any ideas?
>>
>>7057695
If you're celebrating with whiskey only, try to find a loquacious brand.
>>
>>7057695
depends on what you like, and how nice you want to get exactly

do you want or like

irish
scotch
canadian
american
rye
bourbon
single grain
multiple grains
malted
unmalted
blend
single-barrel

and a price range please

any other whiskey fiends notice if i am missing anything
>>
>>7057704
>loquacious brand
dude what
>>
>>7057711
sorry anon but i have just started my whiskey adventure but i like bushmills but i'm thinking a tad nicer or just something new to test. I've hear Jack Daniels is a no but what do you think about johnnie Walker Black label?
>>
>>7057711
Also about 57? if it is possible to get something nice for that price.
>>
>>7057736
>>7057743
bushmills is irish. its going to taste quite different to jack daniels, which i agree is a no, especially for the price. never had j walker desu. go with redbreast 12, its about your price range and irish.
>>
>>7057757
>"oh hey, I could try that"
>look it up
>Bushmills is 30-45 bux
>Redbreast starts at around 75bux

such is live in the people's republic of Quebec
>>
File: 10-8-12darkhorse2.jpg (56 KB, 700x1174) Image search: [Google]
10-8-12darkhorse2.jpg
56 KB, 700x1174
Literally just buy the Dark Horse. It's super cheap and it's great
>>
>>7057825
I sadly can't get it here in Sweden.
>>
I'm of the opinion that good whiskey is wasted until you properly develop your palate. Try rye, bourbon, and scotch. Decide which you prefer. Then try all the ~$30 bottles in your local store until you feel you can actually taste the different flavors in each.

Then buy Laphroaig Cask Strength and never look back.
>>
fireball fireball fireball
>>
Try some Highland Park 12YO
>>
>>7057736
jack daniels is shiti, johnnie walker is shit

If you're getting the cheap shit, find your brand. I seemed to have settled on wild turkey 101 and jim beam double-aged (black label). Without getting into the extremely expensive shit, I like four roses single barrel and maker's 46, but really you just have to start buying.

I can't stress enough how shitty jack is, or how much a ripoff johnnie walker is. Those are just drinks with names, not taste.
>>
>>7057870
Sweden eh
get this
>>
>>7057695
I love Bushmills, also love Jura turas mara see if you can get it.
>>
File: 1429588526028.jpg (105 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
1429588526028.jpg
105 KB, 500x395
>>7060542
>I like four roses
obinion rejegted :DDDD

Rye is different from scotch, which is (slightly) different from Irish whiskey, which is different from bourbon. I personally think rye is pretty much universally bad and what bourbon I've had was nearly undrinkable, but it's all taste. Glenfiddich is good starter scotch, Johnnie Walker is entry-level but decent, Jameson and Bushmill's sell a lot of whiskey for a reason. I forgot what Mackmyra I had but it's Swedish and not hateful

won't there be some whisky nerd at Systemet anyway?
>>
Mackmyra. It's become pretty priceworthy for what it is and it's local.
Highland Park is a good yet mild introduction to smokier whiskeys. The Black Grouse is an okay one as well. If you want to go into the really smoky good stuff there's Lagavulin and Laphroaig.
Jameson is a different irish one that is about equal with the cheaper Bushmill. Redbreast as someone mentioned is a good pricier alternative to both.
Most of the Bourbons at Systemet are decent. (aside from Jim Beam)
>>
>>7060542
but isn't Jack Daniels and Coke a cola good. I mean the two flavors compliment each other nicely. Right?
>>
Jim Beam.

It's like Jack Daniel's but good.
>>
>>7060542
>I seemed to have settled on wild turkey 101 and jim beam double-aged (black label).

Those were both of my favorite brands at one point in my life.
>>
>>7057695
Not Bushmills
>>
>>7060542
>beam
devil's cut is their best. Woodford and Bulleitt are same pricepoint as Roses and M46 but leagues better
>>
>>7057695
Jack Daniels and a better quality root beer makes a terrific drink if you're looking for something Refreshing
>>
File: OldGrandDadBonded_IMG_0362.jpg (144 KB, 780x2628) Image search: [Google]
OldGrandDadBonded_IMG_0362.jpg
144 KB, 780x2628
>>7057695
Old Grand Dad 100, OP. It's probably the best, cheapest bourbon you can get.
>>
File: evan-williams.jpg (188 KB, 300x966) Image search: [Google]
evan-williams.jpg
188 KB, 300x966
>>7062679
jack n coke is fine. but if you're in the US, you can easily get much cheaper bourbon that tastes the same as jack. evan williams, for one.
>>
>>7057704
nigger you don't english well
>>
>>7062894
It doesn't taste the same as Jack. It mixes just as well though.
>>
>>7062894
I could barley stomach Evan Williams I had to mix it with coffee
>>
>>7058128
Too good for the standard 10 year?
>>
>>7063013
really? to me that stuff is kinda ruff.
>>
johnny walker red laber
>>
I got a question about mixing whisky/whiskey. They say that if you mix regular tap water to dilute the ABV and to try and bring some of the notes out of them, that you will be killing the flavour because of the chlorine?

Is this true or bullshit? I hear mostly of hardcore enthusiasts using distilled/pure water because of this very reason.
>>
File: old crow.jpg (39 KB, 500x413) Image search: [Google]
old crow.jpg
39 KB, 500x413
Old Crow is pretty good straight.
>>
File: Bushmills-16.jpg (86 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
Bushmills-16.jpg
86 KB, 620x620
>>7057695
I like Bushmills too, this 16 year old one is pretty good, it's a lot different from the standard Bushmills.
>>
>>7057695
If you're on a tight budget and are drinking new whisky I like bushmills. If you have a little more to spend I usually get black label. Collegefag so dont really know about mid to high end
>>
>>7061045
If you're gonna be autistic about it at least make sure you get them in the right order. Bourbon is whiskey. Whiskey isn't bourbon.
>>
>>7063015
the cask strength tastes better and is the superior value due to the ability to water it down and activate all of the flavors.
>>
don't drink hard liqueur. Don't be that guy. It can easily kill you, it's poison. Your liver is constantly working to keep your blood clean, don't abuse it with hard liqueur.
>>
What the fuck? No one noticed?
Underage drinking is against the law OP.
Reported.
>>
>>7065184
I feel like I should let you know that you really arent as funny as you think you are
>>
>>7057695
Just get some beer instead, OP.
Cheaper and easier
>>
>>7057704
Your word of the day calendar is being used improperly.
>>
>>7061045
Wrong
>>
>>7062679
Evan Williams is a Jack competitor but the tastes are very different to me. EW BiB white label is pretty much the best price/taste value you can get
>>
>>7063210
Will Gordon?
>>
>>7057777

I live in Quebecistan too. At least our beer is relatively cheap.
>>
>>7060542
>Jack Daniels hater
You're worse than cancer.
>>
>>7067432
JD is absolute shit tier though. I don't know how anyone drinks that shit.
I only drink bottom shelf crap as well but I'm never drinking JD again.
>>
File: glenfiddich.png (778 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
glenfiddich.png
778 KB, 1360x768
Don't listen to these scrubs. Drink scotch like a real man. The cheapest intro is the fruity taste of Glenfiddich.

Pic related: A real man (genocidal killer) drinks Glenfiddich in the movie Hotel Rwanda
>>
>>7067454
Glenfiddich is fucking vile under 15 years old and more floral than fruity. Best intro to scotch is a highland and for the price of glenfiddich, that includes almost every 12 year old highland on the market. If you want fruit and spice, yamazaki 12 is the pinnacle of it. Otherwise, I can personally recommend glenlivet, glenmorangie, the macallan, aardberg, and more locally the virginia highland whisky from out of nelson county. None will disappoint.

Bourbon is too one-note for me, but I can drink jim beam and fighting cock. I prefer the cock.
>>
>>7060653
>motoerhead
kek
>>
>>7067473
>I prefer the cock
Don't worry anon. We already knew that.
>>
>>7057757
Seconding Redbreast. Functions as a top-tier entry level whiskey or a good value midrange dram.
>>
What should I drink to develop my palate for whiskey? All I can taste is that Jameson is very sweet.
>>
>>7057704
how long u been waiting to use that word?
3-4 days now?
>>
>>7068022
Beer and wine is a good way to identify flavors. Go to some tastings and learn how to do it and the usual palette notes. Eat a variety of foods to get a larger language. Then it's just making connections and finding the closest flavor to what you are tasting. A good bottle can take a long time to catch everything it has to offer.

Jameson is very sweet, but it's sweet like a very dark caramel, hard crack stage. Not much going on in the flavor profile outside of that. It's a very simple whiskey, but one that does it well.
>>
Jack Daniels. Bourbon is too sweet and Canadian can be too rough. JD is just right.....

Jameson is supposed to be the shit, but I only drank it after I was completely throttled so idk.
>>
>>7069174
JD tastes like the burnt barrel it was made in. I'm with you on a drier whisky, but Jack isn't a good example of it.
>>
>>7063200
Its fine. You can use tap, bottled or a splash of whatever you think tastes good. But to be honest, only do that shit when your hammered and you need to be more drunk and don't want to throw up.
>>
>>7069185
I've drank a a lot of whiskeys. I just like jack. Saying that, I've also drank a lot of other types of liquor, tequila/rum and whiskey being my favorite.
My top 3. Hornitos, captains, and jack.
>>
>>7057695
Is that a good Irish Whiskey?
>>
File: Auchentoshan_18_y-o.jpg (126 KB, 881x1000) Image search: [Google]
Auchentoshan_18_y-o.jpg
126 KB, 881x1000
>>7057695
>some nice whisky

How nice can you afford?
>>
>>7070296
Wild Turkey
>>
I haven't enjoyed any Whiskey I've tried so far. I've only had bourbon (Jim Beam & Elijah Craig) and I hated the sweet fruity flavor. I could tell the Elijah Craig was good quality but paradoxically the refinement made the qualities of Whiskey I dislike stand out even more.

Is this fruity, saccharine taste an intrinsic part of Whiskey or are there Whiskey's that might be more my style out there?

For reference my favorite liquor is Dark Rum.
>>
>>7070329
That's usually a bourbon problem, try a balanced scotch like Highland Park 12 (if you want a nice bottle) or Black Grouse (cheap) to cut your teeth on the beginnings of peat smoke before advancing to heavily peated Islay malts like Ardbeg/Laphroaig/Lagavulin

If you want a cooked dark fruit flavor then sherried scotch like Aberlour, Glenfarclas, and Glendronach are worth trying, even if somewhat expensive in general.

If you haven't tried rye whiskey like Bulleit Rye or Wild Turkey Rye then it's worth attempting at least once. You get spicier herbal flavors like cinnamon and spearmint rather than vanilla fruit rape like straight bourbon would be.

For something really oddball and different, Talisker and Glendronach are scotches with maritime, almost salt spray flavors alongside normal whisky flavors.
>>
you must be 21 or older to drink
>>
God damn don't be a foody for booze you faggot unless you're brewing it yourself just get the coke or pepsi of whiskey and move on fuck.
>>
>>7057825
Alberta springs is a terrific bargain, as well, for a near 100% rye mash
>>
>>7063013
you're right, it tastes better
this stuff is the best though
>>
>>7057825
>Alberta Premium
Never again. JD tier greasy garbage.

Whiskeys and whiskys can have much different flavours. A good scotch will taste like biting into a piece of oak. Irish is much sweeter. Bourbon is sweeter yet. Rye has a somewhat fruity flavour. Fireball is grain alcohol and water with stale melted cinnamon hearts.

Knob Creek is good, but probably out of your price range. Maker's Mark is ok for a bourbon, but not really worth the price. A decent cheap bourbon would be something like Bulleit. Bushmills is a decent cheap Irish. Quality Scotch is really fucking expensive. If you're not sure if you'll like it, buy the smallest bottle you can find. Johnny Black is really not that much better than Johnny Red, so try Red first.
>>
>>7062894
Evab williams is the shiiiit goto brand since i drink so much but dont hate myself
>yet
>>
Rebecca Creek isn't bad at all. and it's local to me so that's a win win for me.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.