[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice me something vegetarian that isn't pretentious shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: garlic-naan17.jpg (93 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
garlic-naan17.jpg
93 KB, 640x427
Advice me something vegetarian that isn't pretentious shit made with ingredients blessed by a shaman at the second full moon. Please.
>>
Stuffed peppers.
Burgers where you use a big mushroom instead of meat.
Vego lasagna.
Sandwiches without meat.
Many salads.
Roast pumpkin.
>>
toast.

aple pie.

spaghetti.

garden salad.
>>
>>7057508

vegan tofu dogs

vegan cheese veggie burgers made from oats and lentils with almond milk mayonnaise

vegan turkey leg made from dehydrated water

vegan chili with freeze dried banana glue and once digested coconut skin

vegan carbonara mad with cornstarch and ozone layer cured soy bean skins

Pick which one sounds the best and I'll give you the recipe.
>>
ratatouille.
>>
Lentil soup
Minestrone soup
Spinach/cheese ravioli
>>
>>7057508
BBQ vegetables is GOAT.
Even better than meat imo
>>
Oreos are vegan.
>>
>>7057508
Paneer makhani
>>
Falafel, hummus, baba ghanoush, tabouli, stuffed grape leaves.
>>
>>7057508
Anyone who isn't a pretentious vegetarian is just a glorified non carnivore who eats nothing but carbs and cheese.
>>
7th Day Adventist cookbooks/recipes.

They're a reformist church started in the 19th century, so a lot of their early stuff is like "cleanse you colon, cleanse your sins", but they've mellowed out since then and produced a lot of decent vegetarian recipes.
>>
File: satan.jpg (85 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
satan.jpg
85 KB, 500x333
>>7057508
Whole wheat vegan bread (exists, sometimes hot dog buns)
Coconut oil
Garlic Salt
Onions
Tomatoe
Carrots (shredded)
Almond milk

Use coconut oil in pan, mix with garlic salt.
Soak bread in almond milk like french toast
Cook choice of veggies/fruit(s) in pan.
Add bread.
Cook uncovered, toast bread using pan.
Sandwich with bread and ingredients.

Taste fucking DELICIOUS.
>>
>>7057686
BTW, point of mixing coconut oil with garlic salt is to help the Garlic Salt attach to bread/other ingredients.
>>
I like to buy lots of frozen minestrone packages, or really any kind of packeged frozen mixed vegetables. You can do lots of things with them, besides the original recipe.

Two I like is
1. Vellutata / pureed soup
Cook the vegs with fried onions and spices you prefer, then blend. Add in some crunchy bread cubes, olive oil and/or parmesan.

2. Cook the vegs using less water, or vapor cook. Drop them in fried onions for a minute or two, then add rice.
Key here is getting the right amount of spices (so that it's not too spicey nor too little) and oil (so that it's not "dry" not fat as fuck)

I survive like this most of the time, when I cook at home.
>>
Tons of soups are vegetarian - potato and leek soup, butternut squash soup, lentil soup and so on.
Pasta dishes are also fairly easy to make vegetarian. I had a really good one with grilled marinated bellpeppers, halloumi and lentils.
Currys and stews
>>
Falafel
Hummus
Almost every salad
Many, many curries
So many fucking soups, oh my god
Literally every meat dish but replace the meat with mushrooms instead
>>
>>7057509
this is a really good list actually
>>
>>7057511
Vegan tofu dogs pls
>>
Carbonara, just make sure you leave out the bacon ;)
>>
>>7057508
An apple
>>
File: pasta e zucchine DSC01560.jpg (257 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
pasta e zucchine DSC01560.jpg
257 KB, 1600x1200
>>7057868
You joke, but carbonara is actually based on a class of seldom-eaten-today savoury vegetarian egg sauces from Campania and southern Lazio.
Pic related is one of the more common ones that's still enjoyed in Italy today, particularly in-and-around Naples: pasta with zucchini and egg sauce.
At its most simple, an egg sauce can be made with just oil and egg.
>>
>>7057508
are you some kind of moron who thinks a salad with basalmic vinegar is pretentious?
do you froth at the mouth at garlic naan?
what the hell kind of vegeterian food is pretentious? if anything, meat is the pretentious shit, because theres a wider market of people who want the "BEST EVAR, GIB KOBE BURGER NUM" than people who would replace it with an egg.
>>
>>7057882
>At its most simple, an egg sauce can be made with just oil and egg
Mayonnaise?
>>
>>7058127
Nope.
Like custards, egg sauces rely on controlled coagulation of proteins rather than emulsification of fats. They can be made with any warm liquid, just that oil/grease is the most common, as in proper carbonara (pork grease). The one for the zucchini I showed uses hot vegetable broth and hot oil, both.
>>
>>7057508
>just pleb my shit up
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIaUm-Go0k
>>
Spinach pie.

Salad (tons of salad...walnut apple cranberry, feta hb egg olive, etc.)

Butternut soup.

Potato anything. Potatoes are the greatest creation known to mankind.

>>7057577

Seconding ravioli. Also pumpkin ravioli was GOOD. You have manicoti, too.

>>7057515

Seconding.

>>7057657

Hummus and baba ghanoush are both legitimate.
>>
>>7057508
vegetable terrine
mapo doufu
fritters/mücver
Quiche
>>
>>7058147

How come hollandaise breaks, then? Ive always hears it referred to as an emulsion. It follows the same rules as other emulsions except that you can make scrambled eggs accidentally.

I guess an emulsion is technically an oil/water mixture, but eggs do have a lot of water in them
>>
>>7058634
An emulsion is when fat and water are encased in one another, generally through the help of a catalytic emulsifying agent. In the case of Hollaindaise and mayonnaise, you're emulsifying fat (butter or oil, respectively) into the water part of the egg using the lecithin (the emulsifier) naturally present in the yolk. The bulk of the weight of an emulsion comes from fat/oil.

A custard is created by the carefully guided coagulation of the proteins in the egg. Eggs coagulate in the presence of heat. A custard is made when this heat is sourced from a hot liquid, such as milk, stock or oil.

The effect may look similar, that of an emulsion and a custard, but they're not at all.

Hollandaise and mayonnaise, for example, can be as high as 95% fat (though the typical storebought mayo, which is made from whole egg rather than just yolks, is only about 72% fat) with the remainder being protein and water.

On the other hand, a typical custard made from whole milk, for example, has only 7-8% fat, though a custard made from oil would be much, much higher.

Emulsions can be made cold. Custards cannot.

As for Hollandaise, a fool proof method I devised last year for Hollandaise is to use mayonnaise, egg yolk, lemon juice and butter and heat them in a double boiler whilst whisking fervently. It takes quite literally a minute or two and is generally foolproof; a cheat's Hollandaise. But believe-you-me, you'd be hard-pressed to be able to tell the difference.
>>
Tzatziki.
Rösti (without bacon)
>>
>>7058746
I like you based anon. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>7058746

At my last job when i made hollandaise id just take 1lb butter and dice it up then incorporate a few pieces at a time into the warm egg yolks in a double boiler. Way easier than using melted butter and its practically foolproof. That ratio also scales really well. Finish w salt, lemon juice, and cayenne obviously
>>
>>7058746

Thanks for the good response, though, anon
>>
>>7057686
This tastes akin to a Philly Cheese Steak, bros.
>>
Things that involve vegetables, and no meat.

That's it.

Also for the love of god don't eat any vegan meat or anything like that, that shit is vile.
>>
Lots of Indian/Pakistani food has great vegetarian recipes.

I remember a long, long time ago I thought I didn't like spinach or cauliflower. A few trips to some local Indian/Pakistani places changed my mind.
>>
File: 201501291905.jpg (664 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
201501291905.jpg
664 KB, 2240x1344
>>7058817
>>7058788
Thanks.
I often worry I come across badly when I'm trying to be helpful.

>>7058814
My method melts the butter first, then adds a spoonful of mayonnaise, a spritz of lemon and an egg yolk and it's all whisked together until thick and uniformly yellow/yellow-orange. I finish with garlic chives or Asian chives because I like their flavour more than European ones. Pic related is a semi-benedict I made with my fakemeout Hollandaise. One homemade brioche because fuck muffins.

>>7060156
Doesn't sound like it'd be at all like a cheesesteak, Anon. What makes you think it would be?

I make cheeseshroom from time to time, which is like cheesesteak, only swapping out the steak for 'shroom, usually portobello but whatever sort I happen to have on hand at the moment works just as well.
I'm going to make one for dinner tonight, actually:

Onion, thinly sliced, half an average-sized one
Oil, 2tsp
Salt, as needed
Water, as needed
Mushrooms, sliced, 200g/half pound
Cheese, any good-melting variety of your choice, 30g/1oz
Long roll

In a non-stick pan, place the onion and oil, salt generously and set to high heat.
When sizzling audibly, watch for first signs of turning golden then squirt with just enough water to cover and sauté about a bit.
When water has evaporated out, watch for first signs of browning then squirt with just enough water to cover and sauté about a bit.
When water has evaporated out, watch for first signs of caramelisation. then squirt with just enough water to cover and sauté about a bit.
Add mushrooms and adjust salt, if/as necessary.
Cook until mushrooms are substantially reduced, then form into a long pile and top with cheese.
Split the roll, place over the pile cut-side-down and, using a long spatula, flip the whole sandwich over into your non-dominant hand.
Scoop up any straggling bits of deliciousness into your sandwich and eat.
>>
Your great-grandma's cook book. A lot of traditional cuisine is full of wonderful vegetarian dishes that aren't trying to be half assed versions of meat dishes.

Once people moved to america where meat is cheap a lot of that fell to the wayside.
>>
Steak served in a blood sauce
>>
>>7057508
Ive always loved curry
Rather then having it with rice or something my family always served it in a roti shell
Garlic onion and potato make a great base then add whatever
Ive used peppers that were a little ripe, sweet potato even chunks of really small beets from the garden
I always cook my chick peas in a separate pot so they dont pop when im stiring up the curry.
Add a little indian hot sauce and you are set
>>
>>7057508
Pea soup
>>
carbonara without bacon
>>
Cheerios nigga
>>
make your own pesto then have it with peppers, olives, cheese, fresh or sun-dried tomatoes etc etc

>http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/pesto/
>inb4 Jamie Oliver is a twat
I know he is a twat

also eggs, you can do fucking loads of stuff with eggs
>>
>>7057509
>>7057577
If this is what the average cu/ck/ considers typical veggie dishes I understand why you're all raging omnivores
>>
Pinecones lol
>>
>>7064093
>>7064057
this is the new face of /ck/
>>
>advice me something

where does this shit even come from
>>
Pasta wih squash cream. Bake the squash in halves with rosemary and s&p. Mash it and add a couple spoons of heavy cream to give it texture. Serve with parm cheese and toasted sunflower seeds for crunchy effect
>>
>>7057678
They are also batshit crazy. But yes, neat vegetarian recipes are to be had.
>>
>>7057508
You like cole slaw, low calorie, and not doing a lot of work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy5cHheCZSE
>>
>>7057673
Scarily close to my actual diet
>>
>>7057609
nah, because of bone char used in the sugar making process. technically anything with refined sugar isnt vegan. at least thats what some stuck up vegan hippie bitch told me when I got a lecture about why I shouldn't eat honey as she sat on a leather couch
>>
>>7064591
Not all white sugar is filtered through bone char. Only cane sugar is and it isn't necessary filtered through bone char at that. It could be through any activated carbon source, including biochar which may or may not be bone char. It could be mined coal, wood char, or any number of other things, alone or in combination with one another.
Basically, unless a vegan or vegetarian has a problem with using fossil fuels because of muh Annie Mulls, they shouldn't have a problem with using white sugar.

>>7064083
Many westerners have little idea what to do to make a vegetarian meal other than to swap meat for tofu or eat only the most rudimentary side dishes rather than full, meat-free meals.

>>7063831
Just made a cheeseshroom for dinner because I wanted some. It was great, as usual. I'm not even vegetarian.
If you're vegetarian, you have no reason to not make and eat delicious, delicious cheeseshroom unless you're one of those filthy people who dislike mushrooms.
>>
File: WTFAMIREADING.jpg (51 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
WTFAMIREADING.jpg
51 KB, 600x599
>>7057511
>dehydrated water
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.