[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOME CANNING PROP TIPS AND THEORY I really wanna home can one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Chili.jpg (139 KB, 680x1020) Image search: [Google]
Chili.jpg
139 KB, 680x1020
HOME CANNING PROP TIPS AND THEORY

I really wanna home can one day... but I want my food to last longer than canned goods you buy st stores. The only real preservatives I'm aware of used in home canning that seems perfectly safe is lots of salt. What are some safe preservatives that don't involve the "FAT TOM" acronym and how do I best utilize FAT TOM in canning? Namely, using acidity to prevent growth or contamination. Is there a way to take advantage of PH extremes that doesn't turn your food into goo?

I thought alcohol would be an awesome food safe way to prevent spoilage. As little as 5% alcohol made water safe to drink for centuries, even in biblical times mixing water with wine was common. What about tannins? Do tannins inhibit growth? Anyways, the alcohol would pretty much all evaporate by the time my chili was done being pressure cooked right?

Or would a couple shots of vodka mixed in actually help it keep better?

I'd prefer to stay away from preservatives that people might have reactions too. The basic criteria is that the preservative can remain functional after 3 hours in a pressure cooker.

What about using vacuum sealed Mylar bags instead of canning jars? Would there be any benefit in that? Would Mylar be able to handle 3 hours in a pressure cooker?

I like Mylar a lot because it would be cheaper than jars and it would block light. Vacuum sealed Mylar is pretty much the best way to preserve dry foods that I'm aware of.

Are there any packets of oxygen absorbers that would be safe to use? Or could I put my unsealed jars in a buckets with enough baking soda in the bottom and add vinegar until the carbon dioxide displaced all the oxygen? It would be easy enough to do and prevent and oxygen from being in the jars.

PLEASE HALP.

I honestly believe a few simple hacks could double or triple current expiration times without effecting taste or quality significantly enough to matter.
>>
Do you even need all that shit if you're pressure canning?
>>
What about tobacco? Or nicotine? I think a quarter of a tobacco leaf per jar might be worth testing.

If you ever have tapeworms, eating a decent cigar will incapacitate the worm long enough for you to poop it out.

Surely nicotine would be a relatively safe preservative if caution was taken?

I've got no idea how heat effects it, though.
>>
>>7056669

Even pressure canned food can spoil in a few years. I've heard of five year old canned food that was still good... temperature is the best preservative!

But there has to be other ways to extend shelf life even more.
>>
Also,
>HOME CANNING PRO TIPS AND THEORY

Fixd
>>
There's regular home canning threads in the summer... You should have a read.
Here : https://warosu.org/ck/image/JJG4GrC72HVcgX6wdaOs8A

That being said, unless you have a pressure canner, you'll want recipes with high acidity (ingredient list will include vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, or citric acid) or high sugar (jams and preserves).

Anything else will require a pressure canner to properly sterilize. When starting out follow recently published recipes and DO NOT change the rations of any of the acidity/sugar ingredients.

>What about using vacuum sealed Mylar bags instead of canning jars? Would there be any benefit in that? Would Mylar be able to handle 3 hours in a pressure cooker?
Probably not. And mason jars are cheap.

>Are there any packets of oxygen absorbers that would be safe to use? Or could I put my unsealed jars in a buckets with enough baking soda in the bottom and add vinegar until the carbon dioxide displaced all the oxygen? It would be easy enough to do and prevent and oxygen from being in the jars.
Nope. Botulism is the main threat in home canning and it is anareobic. Meaning no oxygen makes it happy.
>>
>>7056677
>What about tobacco? Or nicotine?
Incredibly bad idea as nicotine is a neuro toxin when ingested.
>Nicotine poisoning tends to produce symptoms that follow a biphasic pattern. The initial symptoms are mainly due to stimulatory effects and include nausea and vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, pallor, sweating, hypertension, tachycardia, ataxia, tremor, headache, dizziness, muscle fasciculations, and seizures.[4] After the initial stimulatory phase, a later period of depressor effects can occur and may include symptoms of hypotension and bradycardia, central nervous system depression, coma, muscular weakness and/or paralysis, with difficulty breathing or respiratory failure.[1][4][23][24]
>>
I heard that after pressure cooking, covering the tops of your jars with wax will also help it last longer in case the main seal breaks. That's a good tip. Kinda like how some fancy wines and liquors have wax tops.

>>7056692

Chemotherapy also kills you're cells, but it kills cancerous cells much faster making it a viable cure.

You really think nicotine doesn't have it's medicinal uses even though pretty much every plant has had documented medicinal uses? "But anon a peer reviewed official study hasn't been done on it yet"...

And I could care less. Doctors believe everything written by a PHD. They used to think lobotomies were good for people. Academic circle jerking isn't science.
>>
>>7056719
Go ahead and make yourself sick. Just don't feed it to others.
>>
I've heard a few bay leaves will keep insect pests out if a bucket of dried foods very well.

What about in a can? No benefit against microorganisms?

Also when it comes to things like chili would it be better to leave the vegetable ingredients dried and stored in an airtight bucket?

Hard tack can last indefinitely if made and stored properly.
>>
>>7056727

....you're right. About two cigarettes and half to a quarter of a cigar depending on its size.

So... a quarter of a tobacco leaf, like I said...?
>>
>>7056731
No, no benefits against micro-organisms. If your seal and processing was done correctly pests should not have access to the contents and nothing should remain live inside the jar to cause spoilage.

As for your chili question : yes, if your goal is apocalypse bunker and you plan on hunting the meat to make the thing later. The point of pressure canning it is to have it done, assembled, and ready to eat.
>>
>>7056738

No thoughts about vacuum sealing chili in Mylar and pressure cooking that?

I'm gonna Google and see what kind of temps Mylar can take.
>>
>>7056735
That is the lethal (or near lethal) dose. smaller doses can and will make you sick.

But if puking your guts out is a desired outcome after a meal, no one is stopping you.
>>
>>7056746

Eating tobacco to kill intestinal parasites is in pretty much every military and civilian survival guide.

Get fucked.
>>
can you can anything with pressuee canning
i think it would be awesome to spend a weekend cooking all sorts of meals from bulk ordered groceries and have plenty of home cooked meals in the pantry for when im feeling lazy or exhausted
>>
>>7056792

Fruits will usually have to be canned in a syrup IRC.

Vegetables in a mild brine.

Meat can be canned as well.

Google up a good home canning website, it's great stuff to get into.

Look into mason jar meals, too.

You can store entire buckets of dried beans and grains for years.

Just gotta seal everything tight and store it with care.
>>
>>7056800
so i cant just make a meal that fills the jar pressure seals it and called it a day
>>
>>7056792

Learn to bake bread.

There's a Macaroni Grill copycat recipe I use and its amazing.

Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and a little Italian seasoning makes restaurant quality bread dip. You don't even need half that... just oil, balsamic vinegar, and pepper. Or you could add sun dried tomatoes and make it fancy.

Cheap, healthy, etc. Serve with pasta. Cheap too.

After you learn to bake bread it's really not that time consuming.
>>
>>7056811

You want it to fill the jar to about an inch from the top and to conserve energy fill the pressure cooker with jars of other food that is done in the same time.
>>
>>7056811

You also have to consider how will the meal will be after being fully cooked and sitting in storage for however long it takes you to eat it.

Might get a little soggy, might not.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.