[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Portion Sizes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 15
File: bullshit?.jpg (36 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
bullshit?.jpg
36 KB, 493x335
Sup /ck/. I want to know what you think about American portions served in restaurants. Several people on the internet say our portion sizes are gigantic, and that's why we are all fat. But is that really the case?

I went to an upscale pub, and got their chicken tacos for lunch.

It was 2 small tortillas, with a bit of chicken and some veggies. The side was literally 9 tortilla chips, and some salsa. I honestly think that's a pretty small serving size

Or are American's brainwashed about serving sizes?
>>
Americans are fat because of eating way too much processed garbage fast food and tv dinners and sitting on their asses in front of the tv and computers all day..
>>
>>7056049
>pretending people who browse this board from other countries don't do the same thing
>>
>>7056049
I mean, yea. But if you have 500 calories of processed garbage per meal, vs. 1100 calories of processed garbage per meal....you are going to be skinnier.
>>
File: uk-obesity-epidemic.jpg (155 KB, 782x337) Image search: [Google]
uk-obesity-epidemic.jpg
155 KB, 782x337
>>7056043

>European people have self control and totally aren't fat.
>>
>>7056043
American young elite here.
From a powerful family.
All restaurants rich and poor do this.
It's best to just cook at home and buy the best individual ingredients you can find.
>>
File: news11_FAT-NATION_3_203805a.jpg (58 KB, 300x521) Image search: [Google]
news11_FAT-NATION_3_203805a.jpg
58 KB, 300x521
>>7056067
>>
Most of Europe is only slightly less fat than the US, iirc England is almost the same.
>>
>>7056058
I was never pretending that people in other countries don't do the exact same thing. The OP mentioned American portions and Americans being fat so I provided an explanation.

There are fat people in every country.
>>
File: lejappymerchant.gif (7 KB, 307x362) Image search: [Google]
lejappymerchant.gif
7 KB, 307x362
>>7056070
so you are in agreement that a lot of "upscale" restaurants jew you on portions?
>>
>>7056043
Personallu, every fellow britbong I know who's been on holiday in the US has told me about how massive the portion sizes were and how they got fat during their stay. Can't speak for myself or what American home serving sizes are like, obviously.
>>
>>7056086
I would love to see where they went...like if they kept a journal or something. Because I will admit, in America, the shitty restaurants with shitty processed food will give you all of the processed bullshit you want.

However, I have noticed that they also fuck you on the protein portion...unless you pay more than 10 dollars.
>>
>>7056043
Does it matter? On the rare occasion when I get to go out to eat I want to get a lot of good food for my money and I want to enjoy it. The only thing that matters is your daily meals. Having a big ass hamburger with french fries once or twice a month isn't going to make an entire country fat.
>>7056086
Everyone eats too much foreign food when they go somewhere, that's one of the best parts about going on vacation.
>>
>>7056095
It does matter, actually. There are few people who have as much self control as you do. Also, I am trying to make the argument our portion sizes aren't so big, unless you pay a lot of money.
>>
In Europe they use children's flatware for adults?
>>
>>7056043
Who eats one fish stick? A bag of 24 is like $5.
>>
I used to eat oversized portions too. Weighing your food is the key. Now I eat 100 grams of meat or 150 grams of fish per meal. around 250 grams of veggies and 90 grams of (dry) rice or pasta.
>>
>>7056043
as an american who lived in japan i can confirm this it really depends on where you eat but in general our portions are much larger i use to eat two dinners everytime i went out to eat in jp but then again i just like to eat allot in general thank god for my metabolism also itd mostly our sides that are larger not the main course
>>
serving big portions isnt a problem, in fact its a great thing that people have the luxury of being served literally pounds of food for such low prices.
if you choose to eat that in one sitting, that is the reason you are fat, not because someone put it on the table in front of you.
>>
>>7056105
>>7056107

pic related is both of you
>>
File: captainliteral.jpg (42 KB, 518x442) Image search: [Google]
captainliteral.jpg
42 KB, 518x442
>>7056118
shit
>>
So Europeans are all children?
>>
>>7056043
>yuropoors are proud of starving.
>>
Serving sizes don't even matter senpai
I eat massive serving sizes but I also only eat twice a day

What matters is people being dumb, lazy, and inactive
>>
>>7056117
actually it can be an issue for weak minded people it tempts compulsion the need to finish and a larger plate makes you think youve eaten less subconsciously
>>
>>7056083
Oh absolutely.
There are traps deliberately designed to take your money over providing an excellent service and experience. The best possible outcome at the these places is to know exactly what is good and to trust your own personal experiences, knowledge, tastes and wisdom rather than the waiter.

The crèam de la créam is when the waiter by chance tells you the special is exactly what your own personal experiences, knowledge, tastes, and wisdom would absolutely would have chosen regardless of what the waiter would have said and to have been 100% accurate.
>>
>>7056095

>everyone eats too much foreign food when they go somewhere, that's one of the best parts about going on vacation

This.

Every time I've visited Europe I gained weight.

Restaurant portion sizes are bigger in the US, but we also use doggy bags.
>>
>>7056115

Everything is smaller in Japan though. Like kitchen counters are lower.
>>
>>7056132
in general I find it's a good practice not to accommodate the weak and stupid just because they may struggle with reality.
>>
>>7056142
Agreed.
I was once weak and stupid and only overcame when I tried and stopped giving up. The last thing I quit was quitting quitting.
>>
>>7056125
>amerifats think not eating to morbid obesity is starving
>>
>>7056141
not true from my experience everythings more compact but not smaller allthough there was one very old sushi joint i use to love were that was the case so maybe that was more of an issue of the past then modern japan
>>
>>7056156
There's nothing wrong with feeling hunger you child.

Hunt for your meals. Do not forage.
>>
>>7056156
>thinks not starving is eating to morbid obesity.

Long live the queen m8 mirite?
>>
>>7056161
Literal retard

>>7056163
>muh queen maymay
>>
File: 1444888494937.gif (1 MB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1444888494937.gif
1 MB, 300x188
>>7056043
That's a toddler knife and fork.. does the picture not come from a site on GMOs and fluoride, with the plate image lifted from a stock image site for a 3 Bears like family dinner setting?
>>
Your queen wears a butt plug
>>
>>7056211
thats for squats m8
>>
>>7056043
the american homes plate looks normal to me
>>
>Sup /ck/.
Howdy.

>I want to know what you think about American portions served in restaurants.
Really fuckhugic.

>Several people on the internet say our portion sizes are gigantic, and that's why we are all fat.
I've always thought so.

>But is that really the case?
As with most things, I don't know for sure, but it certainly seems to be.

>I went to an upscale pub, and got their chicken tacos for lunch. It was 2 small tortillas, with a bit of chicken and some veggies. The side was literally 9 tortilla chips, and some salsa. I honestly think that's a pretty small serving size
I can't say if I agree with you or not. It sounds small to hear you describe it, but you could be exaggerating or misremembering to suit how hungry you felt at the time.

>Or are American's brainwashed about serving sizes?
I certainly think so. I live in the US but I am originally from elsewhere, have lived in three countries before this one and traveled to about a dozen more. Serving sizes here are pretty enormous compared to just about anywhere else.
Sort of.
In my home country, we can also have huge portions, but they're more for special occasions. Fests/festivals/feasts. Weddings. Holidays. You know: celebrations.

But Americans don't eat large portions just for celebrations. They eat large portions nearly always, it seems. The US is a land of extremes. Even when it comes to dieting, rather than eating sensibly, the philosophy on dieting seems to be to deny oneself this, that and the other and subsist on salad and rice cakes. Just trading in one extreme for another.

Agree/disagree? Confirm/Deny?
>>
>>7056105
>yurop
>owning flatware

GET A LIFE
>>
You're supposed to save half that shit to take home. Some people think you're supposed to eat the whole plate and well...
>>
>>7056243
>The US is a land of extremes
I agree
I still think portion size doesn't really mean much though and its more that people are getting fat because they are fucking retarded

Europe is getting pretty fat also and I don't think it has to do with portion size
>>
>>7056243
I think it depends entirely on context. In my area, there's one local diner that has RIDICULOUS portion sizes, but it's accordingly pricy, and pretty common to take home a bunch of food. Doggie bags are something that I personally haven't seen happen elsewhere, but are sort of "built in" to American restaurants. Especially at chain restaurants, portion sizes are huge, because Chili's is competing with Applebee's for who can sell the most re-heated-from-frozen chicken and pasta for the best price point. Generally, if you eat at local-owned places, portion sizes are pretty reasonable, or come with an implication that you're going to take stuff home.

I honestly believe the biggest issue is "cheap" calorically-dense foods you see more Westerners eating, on top of snacks. Stuff made from corn, potatoes, and grease gets eaten with reckless abandon, and many Americans (along with Europeans) are numerically illiterate. The biggest source for a lot of people is soda; and you see it the most in lower-income houses, where people tend to be stupid.
>>
>>7056264
>>7056264
>europe is getting fat
Not my country! Not yet, anyway. Give it time and we just might. My brother also moved to the US and he got fat here. I'm still /relatively/ thin and have been here over a decade now. At least for US standards, I'm thin. I think I'm kinda fat/skinny-fat (175lbs, 6ft, 32w).
>>
File: Fulfillment-of-Promise.jpg (2 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
Fulfillment-of-Promise.jpg
2 MB, 4256x2832
>>7056245
everyone knows they use these to eat these days
>>
>>7056273
well a lot of european countries are
its more of an inactivity thing not a portion size thing
>>
>>7056279
It's fairly common in developed countries where the majority of the workforce changes from jobs involving a lot of manual labor and activity to services based jobs where they sit on their ass in front of a computer all day.
>>
>>7056138
I've beent o restaurants in europe and even japan that had huge portions.

i've also been to restuaturants ain america that have small portions.
>>
>>7056043
From my experience (american who has lived in europe) our portion sizes are bigger, but portion sizes tend to be bigger in restaurants wherever you are.

I think the obesity problem in America stems from a lot of things. Obviously, less active lifestyles are a problem. I see parents (mostly in urban areas) make it harder for their kids to go out or even outright refuse to let them play in the yard, and then wonder why their children sit around inside all day.

One of the other big issues that is seldom talked about is body image. In America, I see a lot of extremes: very obese people and very thin people. There seems to be this media thing where you're pressured to be skinny, but these shitty diets and "detoxes" are the only solutions offered, so people give up really quickly and make excuses. While there is also some of that in Europe, people tend to try to be as healthy as possible and care less about weight. As one older Swiss woman I knew put it, "It's ok to have a little extra if you know you're healthy."
>>
Who bitches about portion sizes being too large when eating out. Just doggie bag what you can't finish. Realistically it doesn't cost much more to make a big portion than it does a smaller one so the quanitiy vs quality for the price debate is a non-starter.

Saying this as a non-American living in America btw.
>>
>>7056043

European serving sizes are just as big if not bigger than american you dumbfuck.

Even third world countries like eastern europe people have the appetite of roughneck slavs.

>been living here in england for 1.5 years now, both hicksville south and the glorious north
>>
>>7056049

I actually find that TV dinners usually don't have all that many calories. Ones labeled as "meals" often have 300-400 calories, which isn't much for a dinner.

That being said, I know stuff like Hungry Man is different, or those huge Marie Calendar pot pies.
>>
>>7056396
When people say Europe they mean continental western Europe and Scandinavia. UK is basically US minor in culture.
>>
>>7056402
yeah but 300-400kcal is a lot when you add a 900kcal 2 liter of soda with it
>>
>>7056405

>pussywhipped skeleton-like faggot sven and his butt buddy olaf the toothpick

There's a reason jamal, tyrone, abdul and mohammed's taking all their women.

Also

>scandinavia
>relevant
>outside of being laughed at
>>
>>7056107
Wait, do you really like fish stiks?
>>
>>7056430
Why do you care who's fucking whom? And does it really make it easier to reconcile with your obesity by assuming everyone who''s not fat is a toothpick?
>>
>>7056416
you do realize that normal people over the age of 15 don't chug soda like that, right?
>>
>>7056482
I was talking about the extremely obese who literally do chug soda like that
>>
I'm English and I probably have the American home meal as my standard size. Am I an honorary american?
>>
>>7056043
pretty misleading since americans are far less likely to have multiple courses than europeans
>>
>>7056497
Sure britbro!
>>
>>7056043
Sizes are too big. Stop the degeneracy
>>
>>7056382
This.

People eat with the appetite of a primate that is supposed to out running around all day, but we sit at a desk, or in a car, or on a couch all day.

And this emphasis on safety for kids not being able to go outside is misplaced. The odds of them being kidnapped by some perv are nothing compared the odds they will have heart disease or type 2 diabetes later.
>>
>>7056497
truly our greatest ally
>>
>>7056043
>Several people on the internet say our portion sizes are gigantic, and that's why we are all fat. But is that really the case?
If several people on the internet say something, it must be true! No, you're a fucking retard, no reputable scientist attributes American obesity rates to portion size alone.

>>7056043
>I went to an upscale pub, and got their chicken tacos for lunch.
A single lunch at a single pub is shit evidence. There are hundreds of studies on portion size and weight dating back decades, published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. The rise of American portion sizes and the effect of portion sizes on energy intake and weight change are irrefutable. (Unless you want to argue stupid shit like "what if I ate a gigantic air burger!!")

> http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/ajph.92.2.246
> http://journals.lww.com/nutritiontodayonline/Abstract/2003/03000/The_Supersizing_of_America__Portion_Size_and_the.4.aspx
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2004.64/full
etc.
>>
>>7056524
>>7056502

Thank you Amerifriends. I will never hear a bad word said about my fellow food lovers
>>
File: 1436931373196.png (280 KB, 527x671) Image search: [Google]
1436931373196.png
280 KB, 527x671
>>7056560
No problem brah

You ever need some help with those pakis, give us a call
>>
>>7056043

What a load of fucking shit.
>>
File: 1403451704454.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1403451704454.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>7056572

I live in a town of 30,000 white people, so i'm alright for now :)
>>
>>7056598

>for now

You've got 5,000,000 Syrians looking for a place to go bub, they're only going to the UK and Germany because of free "no work required" handouts.

Best of luck friend. You're going to need it.

Pic related, the disadvantaged people you're up against.
>>
>>7056302
OP here, I've been to Japan, and honestly their portions were similar to US portions. In my opinion.
>>
>>7056043
It's not at all a european vs american thing but a cheap high volume restaurant vs expensive low volume restaurant. europe and USA has both. thread is now shutting down.
>>
File: 1400495040460.jpg (26 KB, 291x283) Image search: [Google]
1400495040460.jpg
26 KB, 291x283
>>7056875
-->
>>
>>7056071
>>7056067
Since when does the UK mean all of europe, hell all of western europe even?
>>
>>7057688
Since the U.S. means Louisiana, Maine, Texas, California, Nebraska, etc like we're all the fucking same.

You foreigners are such uneducated fucking morons.
>>
>>7056043
>It was 2 small tortillas, with a bit of chicken and some veggies. The side was literally 9 tortilla chips, and some salsa. I honestly think that's a pretty small serving size

You've been fucking had mate
>>
>>7057700
>implying those are separate countries with separate languages and separate holidays, religions and vastly different cultures
lol
Despite being separated by over 2000km, a Nebraskan has more in common with a Mainer than an Italian would with a Slovenian even though Italy and Slovenia share a border. Shit, the two have more in common than Switzerland and literally any of its neighbours (other than Liechtenstein, which is basically an honourary canton of Switzerland; they even use our franc).
Your argument is completely invalid.
>>
>>7056043
Yurofag here. The one in the middle is the typical portion size.
>>
>>7057833
Wicked good, bub, but I doubt a flatlander has ever eaten a good steamer or bug.
>>
>HealingPowerHour.com
>>
>>7056073
You mean Scotland.
England has many immigrants that grew up eating picked cabbage. They're skinny as fuck and bring the average down.
>>
>>7056043
Fish dicks, peas and fried potatoes aren't something you eat regularly.
>>
>>7056093
Are restaurant meals in yank land generally under 10 American pounds then?
10 squid what get you diddy squat in the UK.
>>
>>7057961
When you go to shitty cheap chain restaurants for the most part.

Contrary to popular non-american belief, america has a wide variety of restaurants beyond shitty cheap chain restaurants.
>>
>>7056043
>eurokeks being poor

Nothing new.
>>
>>7057966
I don't believe it.
Its all McDonald, burgers king, in and outs, chick a flick, and kuntucky fried chickens.
And all the shit that 12 year old kid foes on diners, drive ins and dives.
>>
>>7057966
This is true of California and New York.
Nothing in-between though, it's a culinary wasteland.
>>
File: cheese_obese.jpg (90 KB, 600x721) Image search: [Google]
cheese_obese.jpg
90 KB, 600x721
>>7056067
>obesity is a disease and not something brought on by the individual
>>
>>7056243
Canuck here, I agree with you. In general, american restaurant portions are fukhueg and the food is substandard. That being said, upscale American restaurants are comparable to the ones here
>>
>>7057989
>>7057994
Believe it or not, local restaurants exist. Most traveling Americans will take a chain over a local joint in a heartbeat because they expect (and usually get) exactly what they expect. McDonald's is just as shitty in Ft. Lauderdale, FL as it is in Portland, OR. Americans like this. Anyone with an appreciation for good food knows the local spots in their city/town/county. In suburban wasteland it's almost impossible to find good, local food though. You've gotta be downtown to escape the chains.
>>
>>7058079
Depends on where you are really. I've been to plenty of suburbs with very decent local restaurants. Granted, there are also suburbs with nothing but bullshit chain restaurants too. You just need to look around, ask locals or check on the internet.
>>
File: 1443755394899.jpg (26 KB, 331x473) Image search: [Google]
1443755394899.jpg
26 KB, 331x473
Who the fuck eats one fish stick?
>>
>>7056043
I had visited 8 EU countries and portions were really different and tend to left side of picture
>>
>>7056071
all the rich arabs
>>
Calling bullshit on op pic; that one on the right looks like a meal for a toddler. Also, as a burgerclap, I only eat half the meal anyway and take the rest home, and even then, if I eat out I only eat one or two meals that day including that. Especially chinese buffet. Skip breakfast, eat two plates + dessert (mostly fruit), skip dinner, take a massive dump. But I am also a tiny girl.

>eat out for breakfast
>3-egg omelette, 2 slices of rye
>don't eat again until dinner

Get fucked you jelly yuropoor.
>>
>>7058101
yuropoors. they can't afford more than one.
>>
>>7058101

Britbongs do.

You see the pride and joy of their entire nation's cuisine is fish fingers, something that 4 year olds eat in more developed countries.
>>
File: 1401133192061.jpg (23 KB, 352x359) Image search: [Google]
1401133192061.jpg
23 KB, 352x359
>>7056396
you think england is europe???
>>
>>7058985

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea

>EU countries. The EU countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Must have hurt like a motherfucker for the Windsors to hand over everything they own in Europe to bankers and Jews.
>>
>>7056086

I am a britbong, the sizes in america are sometimes larger, like I went to this ice cream place and the fucking ice cream was huge, I couldnt finish it.
But overall, the meals I had were the same size as you would get here in the UK.
You can often chose the size of your meals more easily in the USA, maybe because I tended to eat in buffets and fast food joints, but usually theres child, small, medium and large sizes, and unless you are literally retarded, you will know the large is going to be fucking huge.
The other thing is, you can always leave some of your food, like dont eat all the chips or potatoes or whatever, you dont have to lick your plate clean.
Also, if you are eating out every day, with a 3 course meal for both lunch and dinner, then no shit you are going to put on weight, no matter what country your in.
People are fat because they are greedy, end of.
>>
Vietnamese-American here.

Was in Viet Nam recently and went to a pho vendor by the road. The pho bowl was tiny (very delicious, but tiny.) It would have been half the size of a normal serving of pho in the US.

Also it was 50 cents a bowl.
>>
>>7059009
>I tended to eat in buffets and fast food joints
Why would you do that to yourself?
>>
>>7056043
People need a certain amount of calories per day depending on their size and their daily energy expenditure. People who consume more than they use get fat. Most places ive been too do not serve very large portions. I do know of a few local places that give you massive plates of food and frankly i think that it is utterly disgusting. The portions in most countries are similar. Full size adults at an average weight require a certain portion size to be satiated. That picture is meaningless. Either way this is a cooking board and although many on here enjoy tasting other peoples cuisine from time to time most of us i believe cook the majority of our meals. As such its up to us to responsibly control our portions sizes and caloric uptake. Which i do because i have self control and am not a filthy fucking animal.
>>
>>7056043
Do youropeens really eat with baby utensils?
>>
>tfw American but not overweight
>tfw get more food for my dollar than a European but just as /fit/ if not more so

I'm living the good life.
>>
I am from Spain. I don't find American portions to be huge. Americans do eat less healthily, however.
>>
>>7056086
It's all self control. Just because you can eat doesn't mean you should. I'm 5'9" and 135 lbs because I stop myself from eating too much and I get regular exercise.

A lot of fatasses in town go to a restaurant known for gigantic portion sizes. I go there, eat until I'm not hungry and I've still got 2 more meals for later. Most of these fat asses eat everything on their plate.

Want to be skinny? Don't eat until you are so full you can't eat more. Just eat until you aren't hungry. There's no shame in having leftovers

And go for a walk or ride a bike a couple times a week I guarantee.
>>
>>7059152
literally this

I don't care if the entire world thinks my country is overweight or something, i'm not and i'm not getting jew'd out of good portion sizes
>>
File: 1444597979318.jpg (140 KB, 1028x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444597979318.jpg
140 KB, 1028x1080
>>7056107
>fish stick
>>7056432
>fish stiks

they're fish FINGERS
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.