[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you help non-foodies see the light? Visiting my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: food-table-4.jpg (83 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
food-table-4.jpg
83 KB, 500x375
How do you help non-foodies see the light?

Visiting my parents and it's bringing back bad food memories of my childhood. It's a literally just a household chore to them.

My strategy until now has been cooking for them sometimes (difficult because getting them to try new things takes a lot of pre-planning, the moon must be in alignment etc.). I tried giving pointers or asking what they're doing but it's the absolute worst. They react like I'm telling them they're scrubbing the toilet wrong. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's a chore to them.

I'm staying a few months and it's getting unbearable.
>>
I just give them a taste of my organic siracha-marinated sous vide bacon 'za.
They can't go back to eating like a pleb afterwards.
>>
File: example.jpg (112 KB, 960x539) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
112 KB, 960x539
>>7054823
>'za
That sounds insane.

But frfr, just don't give them a choice, it's how I fixed my pleb boyfriend.
>21 and wouldn't eat anything that was anywhere near an onion.
>>
>>7054816
Why are they acting like it's a chore if they're not the ones doing it? Anyway, follow >>7054838's advice although I expect them to not eat your food for the first few days.
>>
Are they depressed? Do they dress in sportswear and look slovenly? Is the house a mess? Have they given up on life?

Maybe they just need a little encouragement and self respect? Go through a difficult task with them to show them what they're capable of? That there is more to the universe than just them, that they need to aim higher than themselves, that they need to constantly strive to improve themselves?
>>
My mom is a pretty good cook when she has a recipe, but sometimes her "substitutions" just boggle my mind.
>nah you don't need wine for risotto, just substitute apple cider
>you don't need to make your own carnitas for tacos, just buy premade pulled pork
>you don't need to make marinara for lasagna, just use ketchup
>you don't need fancy types of rice for risotto, paella or sushi. just use basmati rice :)
>>
File: original.gif (898 KB, 450x189) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
898 KB, 450x189
>>7054916
>>
>>7054838
>'za
>frfr
Is this the new attempt to bring stupid abbreviations to 4chan? What does it even mean and why don't you type it out?
>>
>>7054916

A cider risotto intrigues me. Maybe if you threw some pork in there?
>>
>>7054926
>'za
Blame this board.
>frfr
A lame habit I've been trying to break frfrotr.
>>
>>7054931
That actually sounds pretty good. Cider, roast pork, maybe some diced up apple.
>>
>>7054932
Come on, now you're just being rude, desu baka senpai girugamesh.
>>
File: example.jpg (61 KB, 529x353) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
61 KB, 529x353
>>7054936
You mean like this?
>Apple risotto
>It's a thing
>>
>>7054945
I never said it wasn't a thing. It doesn't surprise me that it exists.

I only said it sounded good.
>>
But to get back on topic, I'd cook them some delicious and fairly simple things that they could reproduce themselves if they want to. It'd hopefully make them both want to do it themselves and hopefully make them trust you more when it comes to cooking.
>>
Also, maybe start with baked goods? Most people have a wide-on for sweets in this country, and you can sneak in all kinds of shit. "We like Keebler cookies." they might say, tits sagging and spittle in the corners of their mouths. "Let me try getting you off that reconstituted Gorilla shit," you might respond, dick hanging low betwixt your knees, "trust me."
>>
>>7054870
>Why are they acting like it's a chore if they're not the ones doing it?

They are the ones doing it.

They're stubborn. Getting them to try something I make requires that I explain in intimate detail everything I'm going to do and every ingredient before they'll even eat it.

I did regress back to "just eat it already" but that makes them less likely to try in the future, they don't agree anymore.

Most days they just cook without saying anything and act like they're doing me a favour.

Nuclear option is to give up and make my own food and offer them it.
>>
>>7054979
Then go with that option.
They make a fucking box of Mac and Cheese, you (not even politely) turn them down and remind them what absolute shit that bullshit is, that you're a fucking adult and they are as well, and to stop eating like they're eight years old.
>>
My entire family hates trying new things. I don't know where I came from.

I went with my aunt and uncle out to a seafood restaurant a few months ago and they both got spaghetti and meatballs.
I basically had to non-verbally communicate to the waiter
>I'm sorry I'm related to idiots
>>
>>7054948
>>7054945
>>7054936
>>7054931
To clarify, I'd already put wine in there, but there wasn't much left in the bottle, and she was suggesting I'd put apple cider in there instead of opening a new bottle.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 620x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 620x463
>>7054979
Maybe sit down with them and make it a serious conversation. Tell them that you feel like they could expand their food options and that it's impacting your relationship with them. Maybe make an agreed upon day where you make them something new.

If they eat super unhealthy them also show concern for diabetes. My grandma ended up starting to get it because of bad eating habits.

You might have to pay closer attention to the flavors they find comforting. Use it as a base. Slowly start to shift things in a new direction. You can't just start off stong. Treat it like training an animal. Slow steps.

You could also get them to watch some cooking shows with you. They make it look glamorous and that might peak your parents curiosity. Good Eats is my favorite, Chopped is fun too. Worst Cooks in America might be a fun option that they can relate to. Although Ann Burrell is a sexist bitch.
>>
>>7054816
I don't understand how the world has regressed so much in the way they eat. I guess it's the fast food life that has made us all lazy & locked us into a comfort zone when it comes to food.
What really gets me is the people who are afraid to try new food. What's the worst that will happen? You won't like it? Maybe spit it out
>>
>>7054966
wtf did I just read
>>
>>7055275
>caring about what other people think of you
You should activate your fifth circuit of consciousness.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.