[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thanksgiving cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: stuffing.jpg (52 KB, 656x369) Image search: [Google]
stuffing.jpg
52 KB, 656x369
Thanksgiving thread. share recipes, then bitch and argue about them here.

I usually frequent /o/ (which should be obvious by my trip) but stop by here from time to time.

Anyways. My father and I were talking about Thanksgiving dinner and what we're doing, and obviously got on the topic of previous Thanksgivings. Growing up, we used to always go to my Aunt's (my mother's younger sister) place for Thanksgiving. Neither her, nor my uncle could ever cook properly so the Turkey was always dry, but everything else was at least decent.
Around age 18, we started going to my other aunt's (my dad's younger sister) for Thanksgiving, before irreconcilable personality difference caused us to vow to never speak again. Anyways, SHE could cook, and to this day is one of the best cooks I've ever known (aside from myself and my father). But one year in particular, she did a homemade stuffing mix for Thanksgiving. I love stuffing but this, supposed 'family recipe', turned out as light green mush that tasted just nasty. I could normally overlook that but everything else she made was amazing. She claimed it was my grandmother's recipe, and my dad argued it wasn't since Grandma's never turned out green.

Short of food coloring, how the hell does this shit happen? I know the original recipe called for parsley, but not enough to turn the entire thing green. It's still a mystery how she managed that.
>>
>>7052293

I order Thai or Chinese food on Thanksgiving. Fuck wasting my entire day in the kitchen when I'm not getting paid for it.
>>
>>7052294
That's pretty sad, I'm sorry.
>>
>>7052307

Why be sad, family tradition.

:^)
>>
>>7052294
I consider myself extremely cynical and even I find that depressing...
>>
Anyways. Anyone got any good stuffing recipes?
>>
>>7052385

www.epicurious.com
>>
>>7052385
im going to try to get my grandmas recipe this thanksgiving. she makes most of it the night before and instead of making gravy when the turkey comes out of the oven she pours the accumulated juice on the stuffing, mixes it, and wa la! idk ehat else she does to it i hope i can get the recipe off of her :^(
>>
>get a ham
>throw it in the baking bag
>add a can of pineapple juice
>add a couple tbs of brown sugar
>bake
wa la!
>>
how's fried turkey? I've heard its moist and delicious.
>>
>>7052410
but its also a fire danger :(
>>
File: deep-fried-turkey-gif-fire-5.gif (3 MB, 618x348) Image search: [Google]
deep-fried-turkey-gif-fire-5.gif
3 MB, 618x348
>>7052410

Inb4 9001 house fires inspired by 4chan.
>>
>>7052414
This. My Aunt's ex-boyfriend, a volunteer firefighter, got called away 3 times from Thanksgiving dinner due to fires started when people tried to fry a turkey.

Tip: Defrost the thing before trying to fry it.
>>
>>7052416

There's absolute no way he made it away from that in time.
>>
File: 184375543771.jpg (757 KB, 1061x998) Image search: [Google]
184375543771.jpg
757 KB, 1061x998
>>7052435

He's wearing a flame retardant suit....
>>
>>7052401
please do. I'm curious.

When making stuffing, my mom would boil the giblets to cook them, then grind the giblets up and mis the ground giblets, the giblets broth, and pre-made pepperidge farms stuffing mix. Always turns out amazing.

And yes, she would make a gravy from the turkey drippings.
>>
I NEED HELP /CK/.

I'm gonna be cooking for the family this year, and I don't know any good ways to season the turkey. I was thinking a brine of lemon juice, crushed red pepper, garlic cloves, chopped onion, a little bit of coka cola, and whiskey, half of which would marinate around the turkey overnight, and the other half I'd drizzle on like a glaze, before I finish it with a hollandaise sauce recipe I've been working on. I don't know if it's worth experimenting, but I'd like some feedback.
>>
>>7052410
It's great. Very moist and flavorful. Thaw for a couple days beforehand because any ice = oil explosion. Other than that, it's fine. It helps to have big backyard. If you live in an apartment, do it in the parking lot
>>
File: 15123.gif (750 KB, 396x222) Image search: [Google]
15123.gif
750 KB, 396x222
I'd bet money every deep fried turkey fire is caused by idiots who buy a shitty frozen turkey 2 days before, realize it didn't thaw in time and just throw it in the oil before the family shows up in hopes its finished in time.
>>
>>7052476
if i were you i wouldnt use the coke and whiskey for thanksgivong, and id go easy on the red pepper if youre cooking for the whole family
>>
File: diabeetus.jpg (45 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
diabeetus.jpg
45 KB, 500x320
>>7052476
That sounds delicious.
Diabeetus/10
>>
>>7052476
Definitely brine your turkey for longer than overnight. I'd say 3 days at least.

Your brine sounds too "busy" for my taste. Keep it simple with traditional flavors I say.
>>
>>7052491

I guess they don't work well with chicken? Because I tried it on my pork ribs, and they came out rather good according to the folks. I guess I could substitute them or something a little easier on the taste buds. Do you think I should mix up a little whiskey in the stuffing at least? Kinda like a modified beer can chicken, except with different kind of alcohol?

>and id go easy on the red pepper if youre cooking for the whole family
If it's a little much, should I substitute for a tabasco glaze? I don't want the chicken to be overwhelmed by spicy flavor, but I don't know what they put in that tabasco sauce in the store.
>>
>>7052493

Thanks mate.

>>7052505

A 3 day brine, you say? With how big it is, I guess you're right. I didn't think itt'd take more than one.

>Your brine sounds too "busy" for my taste. Keep it simple with traditional flavors I say.
Like the other guy recommended, I could cut out the whiskey and coke and save that for the stuffing, or a specialty sauce.
>>
>>7052507
ive heard its good on pork but i personally think rosemary, basil, etc is great for turkey. whiskey sounds like id be good in the stuffing though, im interested in seeing how that turns out!
>>
>>7052520

My father has an allergy to basil, but the senpai loves using rosemary. I'll definitely try that.

Thanks!
>>
>>7052516
>>7052520
also, if i were you i might put a little red pepper on the turkey and make a side sauce thing with red pepper and garlic, i dunnp what else though
>>
>>7052516
That's what I do. A lot of people are against any brining at all.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
>>
>>7052524
good luck!
>>
>>7052534

That's quite an interesting study. I could forego the brining and try flavor injectors.

>>7052531
>>7052538

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I'll definitely be experimenting with that. I have just the sauce I can merge with the red pepper and garlic too.
>>
I usually fill a turkey with my very own semen and eat it happily because I'm a fat fucking retarded ameriburger.
>>
>>7052793
fuck off with the memes for one single thread jesus fucking christ cant we have anything good
>>
Honestly curious as to stuffing recipes /ck/ uses
>>
>>7052970
addressing a faggot only increases said faggotry
>jesus christ cant you learn to ignore morons
>>
>>7052476
uh...your brine doesn't have any salt.
>>
File: disappointed.jpg (25 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
disappointed.jpg
25 KB, 625x416
>>7052293
This is the time of year when I start to sweat realizing that my mom doesn't know how to cook. I'd like to try cooking this year. Normally she just orders a turkey and sides. I've seen some vids on Jamie Oliver's youtube channel that seem simple and tasty.
>>
Anyone got some great biscuit/roll/bread recipes?
>>
>>7053478
google "sweet paul skillet bread"
google "food wishes, Beautiful Buttermilk Biscuits"

both are easy. be a hero anon.
>>
>>7053478
omg make orange rolls. My aunt used to always make them. One of the few things I miss about Thanksgiving.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.