[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Congee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
What's your opinion on congee, /ck/ and what do you add.
I like mine with broth and herbs and use left over meat
>>
I like plain with pickles.
>>
>>7051201
Great on cold days.

Pig feet broth or chicken
Half and half long grain rice and glutinous rice
salt
ground pepper
fish souce
soy souce
turmeric slivers

topped with pan seared chicken, fried or roast pork, fried garlic, green onion and/or leek, cracklings and boiled egg
>>
Century eggs and chicken, fish, or squid. The meat honestly is the less important option.
>>
>>7051201
I like boat congee, pigskin, shrimp and cuttlefish with zhaliang on the side.
>>
>>7051347
Why half half on the rice?
>>
can i do this in a rice cooker

if i dont have enough chicken broth can i add some water with it?
>>
>>7051623
yes, it works in a rice cooker and crockpot just fine.
you do not need chicken broth for it, it is very versatile
>>
>>7051623
Fat is the best part it helps thicken the congee
>>
>>7051201
Broth, peanuts and sliced pork, topped with green onions and sesame oil if I want it Cantonese-style.

Otherwise if I'm making it Teochew-style I'll fry a small fish and some sprouts on the side, plus boil a salted egg.
>>
I think you are all out of your fucking minds.
>>
>>7051201
Love them with ground beef and green onion.
>>
>>7051201
Absolutely nothing; that kind of ruins the point of congee.

rice. water. salt.
>>
>mfw slopes eat baby food and like it
>>
>>7051768
Found the amerikek
>>
>>7051201
Add ginger or ginseng
Crack an egg on top
>>
My favourite:

Rice, 1 cup
Water, 4 cups
Seafood stock, 4 cups
Sesame oil, quarter cup
Dried conch, scallop or saltfish, a handful
Ginger, grated, yield from a thumbslength
Salt, to taste
Scallions, chopped, a handful or two
Krab stick, unrolled and finely shredded

Boil rice and water together until liquid almost entirely cooked out.
Add dried seafood, sesame oil and seafood stock and bring back to the boil.
Add ginger.
Allow to reduce to desired thickness.
Off the heat and salt to taste.
Serve with chopped scallion and krab as garnish.

Also good:
swap sesame oil and seafood for either chicken stir-fried in its own grease or stir-fried fatty chicken mince, seafood stock for chicken stock and krab for crushed, crispy chicken skins.

Variation on the chicken variation: add good quality turmeric powder (or, if you don't mind staining your hands orange for a few days, fresh-grated turmeric) in with the ginger and swap the crisp-fried skin for crisp-fried garlic and/or shallots.

Serve with breadsticks.
>>
>>7051760

>unironically defending eating bland baby food

You weeaboos get worse every day.
>>
>>7051760
>salt
Pleb.
>>
>>7051201
>all of a sudden /ck/ loves Chinese food
lol enjoy your msg
>>
>>7051861
I've just recently found out about it and liked it. Does liking pizza make you an italian?
>>
>>7051885
No it means you like pizza.
>>
congee is great and I'll eat a whole bowl of it plain if there's nothing to put in it, nbd

but I like it with peanuts and some kind of meat, generally
>>
Like eating a bowl of snot
>>
>>7051760
Any Chinese would laugh at you.
>>
File: Congee_at_McDonald's.jpg (720 KB, 2394x1548) Image search: [Google]
Congee_at_McDonald's.jpg
720 KB, 2394x1548
>>7051201
They serve it in some Asian Mcdonalds.
>>
>>7051830
I will try yours the next time, thanks!
>>
Plain with poached trout and onions fried with soy sauce and sugar is lovely.
>>
thick or soupy
>>
>>7051815
a raw egg?
>>
Love it with century egg

I also add my own recipe of spicy ground meat
>>
>>7054776
do you throw the ground meat in while cooking the congee or once you have the congee and let simmer some more?
>>
>>7054785
cook the meat separately desu senpai

if the meat is flavored it'll lose a lot of that flavor in the congee.
>>
anyone know the name of those little fried pieces of dough you sometimes get with it?
>>
>>7055355
You tiao.
>>
>>7055377
>>7055355
>putting 油条 into congees
Why do white people have to ruin everything?
>>
>>7055394
nigger, asian people eat that with it all the time
>>
>>7055409
No you fucking whitey, youtiao's supposed to go with soy milk, the crunchy satisfying texture of youtiao doesn't fit with slimey congee.
>>
>>7055426
I'm chinese. My ancestry and grandparents are from Southern China where they speak Cantonese.

My mom calls it chinese donuts and i've been eating it with congee all the time since i was little. You dip it in the congee.
>>
>>7055435
Try it with soy milk next time, it's a lot better
>>
>>7055447
Fine but that has nothing to do with only white people eating you tiao with congee.
>>
>>7055394
the congee place i go to in chinatown seattle gives them in a little paper bag with all their congee....but yes they could be providing them because i'm white.
>>
>>7055377
how do you pronounce that? you chou?
>>
>>7055509
>Cantonese cuisine
>Not the same as American Chinese
>>
The 'tiao' is more like 'tee-ow'. But 'ou' and 'ao' are difficult things to pronounce. Try listening to the pronunciation of 油条 in Google translate.
>>
>>7055541
fried breadsticks + congee isn't exclusive to just china. A lot of other asian countries do that combo, especially in their street food.
>>
>>7055534
'yo' with an upward inflection at the end, 'ti-ow' with an upward inflection at the end.

Most Northern Chinese don't pronounce it that formally though
>>
Did you guys know that the word 'congee' most likely comes from the Tamil word 'kanji', which is their word for rice porridge? I always wondered where the word came from...
>>
>>7055591
did you know congee also refers to sometime of japanese moon rune?
>>
made some congee yesterday for today

tfw need some salty meats to make it not bland
>>
I wonder what century eggs taste like.
It looks tasty, and descriptions make it seem tasty too
>>
>>7056248
It really depends on who makes it. It's the damnedest thing, how wildly its flavour can vary maker-to-maker. When bad, it tastes like eggy, bad brie. When good, it tastes like eggy brie. Well, the yolk, anyway. The albumin part doesn't tastes like a hell of a whole lot, really.
>>
>>7056270
I guess I'll look for an Asian grocery and hope they have some.
>>
Was hoping for more recipes. Cmon chin/ck/s, let's see some variations.
>>
>>7056248
it's fucking wank
>>
>>7057193
Anon, very people on /ck/ actually cook daily. No joke, the vast majority of recipes posted to /ck/ are mine.

If you see a recipe with ingredients listed in the order of their use according to the directions, it's likely mine.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.