[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here's the deal /ck/ I'm in college, first half
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1432417200623.jpg (38 KB, 680x493) Image search: [Google]
1432417200623.jpg
38 KB, 680x493
So here's the deal /ck/
I'm in college, first half of second year majoring in physics in a shit school. (Texas State i anyone was wondering) I'm starting to hate going here and well I'm really debating on dropping out and pursuing a culinary career. i'd personally like to be a pastry chef.
is this a mistake? and if not any tips?

ITT: culinary advice
captcha ; pies
>>
If you like stressful environments, shit pay and crazy hours, go for it.
>>
File: pancakes.jpg (80 KB, 503x755) Image search: [Google]
pancakes.jpg
80 KB, 503x755
>>7049603
is it really that bad?
>>
>>7049598

>I hate going to an overly demanding, shitty school for physics
>Better go to an overly demanding, shitty school for cooking!
>>
>>7049610
That hampsters name could be, "pancakes" should've showed him some love
>>
>>7049610
It can be. It can also be rewarding, but overall, the amount of work and stress involved in a culinary career isn't worth the terrible pay.

I'd recommend that you continue on with your studies or possibly change majors to something that interests you more and keep cooking as a hobby for your spare time. Possibly look at switching to a business degree and maybe get an associates in culinary arts further on down the road. Nothing wrong with having a solid business background, it's applicable to pretty much any industry and will open a lot more doors for career progression than just having a culinary degree.
>>
>>7049598
STEM careers are bad unless you become an engineer or a radiologist with that physics degree. That said, I wouldn't become a cook. Become a doctor and get paid.
>>
>>7049613
well anon...in my defense i didnt know culinary school was demanding
>>7049617
now i regret not doing so
>>7049620
thaks, it already is a hobby, though business school doesnt seem to appeal to me much, but i understood what you meant
>>7049623
i was going to use it for something with optics or electromagnetism, i know its vague sorry

with everything being said it seems the consesus is dont drop physics for culinary
>>
File: Walnut Flax Sourdough.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Walnut Flax Sourdough.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7049598
I dropped out of a top tier liberal arts school and went to a Le Cordon Bleu program for an AA in the Culinary Arts. I then spent a couple years working in the industry, climbing my way up the food chain. I scored my last job in a restaurant by stealing it from a guy who was in his mid-40s, making $15/hr, working 80+ hours per week, with 3 kids, and 0 benefits. I was younger and did a better job, and ultimately that's what matters on the line. I had scores of friends in the industry who were as talented as any chef I've ever seen, but that doesn't change the reality that over 90% of restaurants fail. Ultimately, you have to have the skills and be in the right place at the right time. It was a harsh enough reality check to convince me to go back to finish my degree at a mid-tier state school, and eventually to transition out of the industry altogether. The job is rough, and the lifestyle is generally very unhealthy. I wound up finding a better career path for me and my goals, but I do miss working in commercial kitchens a great deal.

A couple things to note. First, culinary school does not buy you much when you're out in the real world. Assuming you want to be a chef/owner some day, you'll absolutely still have to start out as low man on the totem pole, probably doing prep work. You'll also come to realize that almost nothing you learned in culinary school applies to how things are actually done in the industry. It buys you a vocabulary and a familiarity with the tools that can be helpful, and that's about it. Second, be prepared to work 60-80 hours per week for 40 hours of hourly pay. It will be grueling manual labor in very hot kitchens surrounded by very difficult personalities, even as a pastry chef.

If your passion for food is substantial enough to override these limitations, it's an incredible job. I would recommend that you start by just working in a kitchen somewhere before you sink $30k+ into a culinary education.
>>
>>7049598
Bobcat alum here. Follow your dreams kid.
>>
>>7049623
Completely wrong.
>>
>>7049655
I am convinced by your argument.

For what it's worth I have a nice cushy STEM at the moment. I get paid above the median salary in a city with a high cost of living. I have the option of making bank with my degree in a couple of years but I can't stand other STEMfags anymore.
>>
>>7049638
FF, I had no idea. ;_;
>>
>>7049610
My friend, you have no idea. It is a vast of a difference than learning in school. If you really have a passion for it. You will deal.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.