[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soup general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 15090020.jpg (584 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
15090020.jpg
584 KB, 2048x1536
Today, we commemorate that fateful November 6th 25 years ago, when Jerry Seinfeld burnt his dick when he spilled some pumpkin soup he had made from Halloween leftovers over his general genital area.

This dick burnage caused - understandably - a lot of anger, and so, being the genius he is, Jerry made the connection between soup and anger, and thus gave us the fantastic soup Nazi episode.

So to celebrate this day, post all your soup related things in here!

To start with, here is some Chicken Pho, I made a while ago.
>>
File: stuff.jpg (362 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
stuff.jpg
362 KB, 2000x1500
so here is what made that pho.

Problem was:
The broth was not brothy enough.
Not really bad, but very light and watery, even though I had less water in it, than the recipe suggested.

How can I fix this?

I guess I could add some more spices (star anise and cardamom come to mind), slice the ginger a bit thinner (recipe wants large chunks) and add more onion and garlic.

What else could I do?
>>
File: 15090011.jpg (508 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
15090011.jpg
508 KB, 2048x1536
And what's the deal with "charring" stuff?

Its also often done for western soups, so there must be something to it, but I dont understand why.

This recipe just puts ginger, garlic and onions in the oven: http://munchies.vice.com/recipes/pho-bo-beef-noodle-soup
>>
and some mandatory thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfhb9k2u5i4
>>
>>7049025
I once had pho with BBQ in it. They called it Pho-Q.
>>
>>7049038
Well, is that beef our pork? That looks like a pork cut, and that could be your problem. Beef bones and marrow l are where most of the flavor comes from. Pork I find is just too sweet and fine
>>
>>7049038
Roast the meat and bones first, simmer for longer, simmer with more meat in addition to the bones. More meat is what makes it a broth as opposed to a stock.
>>
>>7049053
Adds more depth of flavor than just chucking everything into a pot raw.
>>
>According to writer Spike Feresten, Jerry Seinfeld and several members of the production team went to Soup Kitchen International for lunch weeks after "The Soup Nazi" aired. Upon recognizing Seinfeld, Yeganeh did a "triple take" and then went into a profanity-filled rant about how the show had "ruined" his business and demanded an apology. This was especially ironic since whenever the show runs his usually long line would run around the corner due to reminded/created/hyped up desire for his soups. Seinfeld allegedly gave what Feresten describes as "the most insincere, sarcastic apology ever given". Obviously having seen the episode, Yeganeh then bellowed, "No soup for you!" and ejected them from the restaurant.[5]
>>
What's a "Jerry Seinfeld?"
>>
ahhh... that upper west side male yenta?
>>
>>7049235
Its chicken. so it does not have many bones.

>>7049248
Havent seen any recipies where it is roasted for Pho, but I already thought I might try that, since it is often done in western soups.
>>
>>7049254
But really getting them brown, almost black, with no oil? And the inside is still "raw" (if you can even use that term for ginger and onion).

And tasting it pure, it just tastes burnt, but seems like it does indeed something to the soup.
>>
>>7049063
And that is how you really do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxM4t8vP-0A
(At least I think so. I am not Vietnamese, but this seems way more believeable (and appealing) than whatever Jack is trying to do)
>>
>>7049300
Charring stuff is fun but I prefer to do it with stuff that has skin on still. Peppers, unpeeled garlic, and stuff. This way you can peel off the inedible bits and still have the toasty flavor.
>>
>>7049470
Tbh senpai
>>
>>7049300
It adds a smokey sweet flavor.
I typically use oil and sear, rarely charring, which adds more mild sweetness and less smokey flavor, but it is for the same essential purpose.
>>
>>7049070
Kek'd
>>
File: 201509041140.jpg (643 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
201509041140.jpg
643 KB, 2240x1344
Most of what I cook and eat is soup or stew.

I'm making curried chicken miso soup tomorrow. Came up with it out of the blue today and thought "why not?" So making some.

Here's a kale and bean soup I made a while back.
>>
>>7049038
Why would you buy a jar of sprouts in a brine? They are ridiculously cheap at asian marts.

Also, any time I have ordered pho, they gave me fresh sprouts.
>>
File: spieces.jpg (400 KB, 2500x1266) Image search: [Google]
spieces.jpg
400 KB, 2500x1266
>>7049053
>http://munchies.vice.com/recipes/pho-bo-beef-noodle-soup
>>7049470
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxM4t8vP-0A
>black kardamom
>star anise
>chinese cinnamon
Interesting. Most recipes I have seen so far just mentionend anise and kardamom. Seems like those are really different.
Lets see if those fuckers are worth their money.
And can anyone tell me what other things I can make with those things? My spice rack is already overflowing.

also, related comic:
>http://www.whompcomic.com/comic/06152010
>>
>>7051164
Pic looks very european to me, and at least for me, fresh sprouts arehard to get at asian markets. you get them at supermarkets sometimes, but they are rather expensive (like 1.5€ per serving).
Plus, there was a big sprout-scare a few years ago, after some have been found to be contaminated with some fecal bacteria, so that might have reduced their availability. Personally, I would not eat some random, loose sprouts from an asian market raw. But throwing them in hot soup, sounds ok. And yes, they taste much better than the canned stuff in soups.
for some richly flavored stir frys, i dont really mind, but soups really need them fresh.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.