[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are ceramic knives worth it? and any good ones i should look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16
Are ceramic knives worth it?

and any good ones i should look into getting?
>>
File: 20_percent_mandatory_tip.jpg (246 KB, 494x660) Image search: [Google]
20_percent_mandatory_tip.jpg
246 KB, 494x660
>>7045737
No. They're literally meme knifes.
>>
>>7045737
No
Buy a whetstone, or even a jig if you're too lazy
Even a new ceramic knife isn't as sharp as what you can do on stones. They're impressive to people who know nothing about knives, and they take longer to get even duller compared to steel. But they will get dull, and let's think about this for a second. You don't like sharpening your steel knives, and you're about to get a knife that takes special equipment and skills to sharpen. What do you think the end result will be?
>>
Have one I got as a gift. I hardly ever use it.
>>
>>7045737

Yes.

They're equally as impressive and versatile as carbon steel blades, technology and innovation scares people some times. People arguing against them are afraid of change. That's the only reason someone wouldn't try them.

I love my Kyrocera zircon blades.
>>
>>7045934
Right, all those dull as a butter knife decade old ceramic knives are dull because people are afraid of innovation

It has nothing to do with them being marketed on false premises
>>
>>7045949

No one's fault but your own if you don't send them for sharpening. I've used mine consistently for 3 years with only 1 sharpening.

Maybe you're also scared to spend decent money on new technology.

I don't know you well enough to make that assumption but it's more than likely true.
>>
>>7045960
What problem do ceramic knifes solve?

Steel is sharper, more durable and doesn't shatter.
>>
>>7045949
you CAN sharpen them you know
>>
>>7045737
>buying anything other than damascus steel knives
might as well cut things with your dick
>>
>>7045960
I'm all for new technology. My dad brought back one of the first ceramic knives from Japan in the 80s. It was a neat gimmick. I've got a little over $1k sunk into knives, razors, and sharpening gear. I appreciate cutting tools.

Knife technology has far exceeded the ability and willingness of the average user. It's even exceeded that of the above average user. Ceramic, and fancy supersteels, are really neat if you appreciate what they bring to the table. Usually, what they bring is some hairsplittig advantage that is impressive in ad copy but barely relevant or even inconvenient in real life.

I work for a software company, perhaps you've heard the term use case. Ceramic has an extremely narrow use case but it's pushed as a panacea to those who don't know better, while downplaying or even denying the drawbacks.

Stop pushing this crap under the religion of "progress", it's retarded and you're not doing the technology any favors by misrepresenting it.
>>
>>7045992

>steel is sharper and more durable

Untrue

Metal knives chip and bend all time.

Ceramics are made of zircon, the second hardest natural material known to man. To add, they're a composite blade engineered to endure quite a "lumping" as in kitchen hours, accidents etc etc etc.

They're very much different now, then when they were first marketed towards professional Chefs.

I enjoy mine. The cutting edge is laser precise so it's way sharper than a metal blade.

It's also 100% sterile. It's impossible for zircon blades to harbor bacteria after washing. Metal blades, not so much.

I use both. I enjoy both. I DO recommend using both, it's just a preference really. Zircon blades are also feather light. Less wear/tear on the hands/wrists.
>>
>>7046024

>i work in the tech sector
>here's my opinion on tools for the service industry

Opinion 86'd
>>
>>7046030
>100% sterile
hue
>>
>>7045737
Ceramic is very hard and therefore brittle.
You'll chip the tip of the knife off within a month and then you'll learn to baby the knife more than usual but the chip will still be there as a silent reminder of your failure.
>>
>>7045737
asdf
>gay anal
>>
>>7046039
>I haven't sharpened my knives in three years
>I have to send them back to the manufacturer to get this done
Tell me more about your job where you borrow someone else's knife for six to eight weeks while your never needs sharpening (because it wasn't sharp to begin with) butter knife gets fixed
>>
The Aztecs had ceramic swords.
The Spanish had steel weapons.
>>
>>7046055

You didn't read the thread huh, cute.

Zircon blades are one tool that I use. I use bespoke knives made of high carbon steel as well.

Why are you so mad?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (160 KB, 600x511) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
160 KB, 600x511
>>7046058
I don't see how that's relevant, the primary Spanish weapon was infighting amongst the Aztec city-states.

You're not going to get your chicken breasts to cede from the carcass on their own.
>>
>>7046064
Because you're acting like there are no drawbacks to ceramic knives and giving misleading answers about why people shouldn't buy them.

It's like saying everyone should ditch their keyboards and just use voice input for all interaction with an application, and those who oppose you are anti-progress
>>
>>7046082
>You're not going to get your chicken breasts to cede from the carcass on their own.

Isn't deboning and filleting something you use steel instead of ceramic for?
>>
>>7046093
Exactly. You're not going to Julienne a carrot by encouraging political dissent within it, so Spanish vs Aztec weapons are irrelevant.
>>
>>7046088

Gemstones can be grown in a lab, metals cannot be created. Zircon blades represent the future, as they're stronger, more versatile and 100% sustainable.

Carbon steel blades are made out of finite resources and more often than not are composed of salvaged/recycled materials.

I've had exceptional results using ceramics, I highly recommend them. I use steel blades as well, just...not as good of a tool.
>>
>>7046108
>lab grown
>sustainable

Tippity top kek my meme-spouting companion.
>>
File: american_mathematic.jpg (21 KB, 427x140) Image search: [Google]
american_mathematic.jpg
21 KB, 427x140
>>7046108
>metals cannot be created.
>>
>>7046108
Lol

I bet you think those batteries in your prius don't have any environmental footprint
>>
>>7046125

Right! Metals cannot be grown in a laboratory.

>>7046115

>muh meme meme

I enjoyed your retort, thanks for contributing towards the conversation in a meaningful way.

:^)
>>
>>7046129

I don't drive a Prius, I drive a 73 Nova hatchback. I don't care about the environment, I don't want to use blades composed of materials both salvaged and manufactured in the 3rd and 4th world.

Sorry you're such an anti-progressive.
>>
>>7046143
>I don't care about the environment
So why are you making a (flawed) argument about the environmental superiority of ceramic knives?
>I don't own a Prius
I don't even own a cage, vile cager. I ride a bike to work every day.
>3rd world
Because Japan and Sweden are third world countries and the raw materials for ceramic are mined on the mean streets of Zurich and Geneva :^{)
>>
>>7046136
You do realize that making zircon requires raw materials just as refining steel does, right?
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (944 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
944 KB, 245x184
>>7046248

Yes. It requires in top gem quality seed stone to create something millions of carats in weight. I'm aware. That's the same as strip mining though right?

>>7046228

I never said they're superior, there are advantages and disadvantages to everything. I use both, no idea why you're even responding.

Don't rationalize your poverty away by calling a car a cage, ride your bike across a Continent and tell me how fun it is. Please.
>>
>>7046228

Japan is 10 Trillion dollars in debt, so xenophobic that they have the lowest birthrate on the planet, not to mention they've been radioactive for nearly a century. Useless. My zircon blades are Korean like my wife's SUV.

Sweden is the rape capitol of Europe. They're very rapidly becoming a 3rd world nation due to 4th world migrants shitting their society up.
>>
Brittle as fuck, would not buy
>>
>>7046276
>implying magic

still need carbon. it doesn't produce stones out of nothing
>>
>>7046030
>>>7045992
>>steel is sharper and more durable
>Untrue
>Metal knives chip and bend all time.

Metal knives bending is evidence FOR their durability, compared to the brittleness of ceramic blades.

>Ceramics are made of zircon, the second hardest natural material known to man. To add, they're a composite blade engineered to endure quite a "lumping" as in kitchen hours, accidents etc etc etc.

That hardness is why they are so brittle and so prone to micro-chipping at the apex, shattering from dropped, breaking off the tip with bone contact, etc.

>I enjoy mine. The cutting edge is laser precise so it's way sharper than a metal blade.

So you can't sharpen worth a damn. Makes sense you would try and push ceramic blades as a crutch then. Call me when your factory sharpened ceramic blade can push cut phone book paper at 90 degrees with and across the grain. My 400 grit edges will do that with the grain, and my 2k edges both with and across the grain.

I also can keep them touched up to that level of sharpness all the time, not just for the first little while after I get them back from the factory because I can't sharpen them myself.
>>
No. They're brittle as fuck and you can get a steel knife for cheaper and just keep it sharp. Ceramic knives are only acceptable for ultra-casuals who take like 5 hours to make anything because they're so fucking slow
>>
>>7046108
>>>7046088
>Zircon blades represent the future, as they're stronger, more versatile and 100% sustainable.

No, you're wrong, that isn't what stronger means as it relates to materials properties.

Quoting wikipedia: "In materials science, the strength of a material is its ability to withstand an applied load without failure or plastic deformation"

As ceramics are dramatically more brittle than metals, it is self-evident that they must therefore have a dramatically lower failure point under applied load than a material capable of plastic deformation.

Please educate yourself before you start spouting nonsense.
>>
They're great, I love my new one.
Just bought a fancy green glass cutting board to go with my ceramic knife.
>>
Yes just be sure to use a glass cutting board
>>
>>7046399

Carbon is essentially limitless you dumb kek
>>
>>7046399

It's cheaper and more sustainable. End of story. No idea why you're still posting.

>>7046406

You're talking about actual ceramic blades, not composite zircon blades which is what people call "ceramic" blades now. Use one, then have the opinions you have.

>>7046420

>educate yourself
>zircon composite isn't ceramic, but for arguments sake l'll keep saying they are.

Idiot.
>>
>>7046276
>I never said they're superior
Except when you implied that they're automatically the best thing ever because they've been around for less time than your cage
>poverty
Says the cook
>>
File: 188864378551.jpg (443 KB, 1080x864) Image search: [Google]
188864378551.jpg
443 KB, 1080x864
>>7046450

>except when you didn't but I thought you did

TOPPLEB.

>yer cage maymay

Why can't you afford a car as an adult?
>>
>>7046460
>afford
I hate to be a gearfag, but my groupset alone is probably worth more than your car.

Stick to being a snob about your cooking ability. And maybe your ability to to function professionally with a pint of whisky in your stomach, I wouldn't know as I've never tried.
>>
File: Ceramic .jpg (122 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ceramic .jpg
122 KB, 1600x1200
>>7045737
>Are ceramic knives worth it?

It's worth trying out. You can get an ok small ceramic knife for around $20 and see if you like it.
>>
>>7046484

>muh money
>muh did nugga
>muh muh muh

You talk about yourself alot. More often than not people that "brag" about things they have...don't actually have them.

I asked why you cannot afford a car as an adult, nothing more...you still haven't answered the question.

If you're not the same guy, I still want an answer for why an adult doesn't live an adult life.
>>
File: 2-Women-Laughing.jpg (32 KB, 300x269) Image search: [Google]
2-Women-Laughing.jpg
32 KB, 300x269
>>7046441

>Kyocera
>Zircon composite isn't ceramic

Kyocera: "Crafted in Japan,Zirconia Z206is Kyocera's proprietary advanced ceramic."

Looks like the manufacturer of pleb knives: the line disagrees with you. Guess you'll have to learn to sharpen or face that you shitty ceramic garbage knives are babby tier.
>>
>>7046501
So I guess we can assume you don't have any cubic zirconia knives or extra-special "bespoke" knives you were bragging about before. Or the patrician murdercage that gets all the panties wet.
>I still want an answer for why an adult doesn't live an adult life.
You can probably trace it back to the day you decided to be a cook for a living. How should I know what goes through people's minds. Am I your high school guidance counselor?
>>
>>7046507

>composite blades are ceramic
>lrn2sharpen herp derp
>other random quip that's unrelated but humorous none the less

Stay on topic. None of what you said discredited the versatility and sustainability of zircon composite blades.
>>
>>7046511

Cubic zircona isn't what these blades are made from.

Why don't you live as an adult, being an adult.

Just curious why you ride a bicycle non-recreationally.
>>
File: group-of-women-laughing.jpg (321 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
group-of-women-laughing.jpg
321 KB, 849x565
>>7046514

>Claims shitty ceramic knives get sharper
>Claims shitty ceramic knives are stronger
>Claims shitty ceramic knives aren't ceramic

Backpedal any faster and you'll be claiming they aren't knives either soon.
>>
>>7046520

>get sharper

Wut. Never said that. Why are you afraid of change?
>>
>>7046519
Spending twice as long road raging in gridlock is a sign of adulthood to you? Adults use their heads when deciding how to get around.

The kind of people who think a cage is a mandatory token of social status despite being hilariously inefficient are mostly found in third world hellholes. Luanda, Calcutta, and so on. You probably think having a television makes you a member of an elite class.
>>
>>7046420
Ceramics are actually much, much stronger than metals, generally, as they will break before they plasticly deform. This means that they should be able to take a lot more force that metals without changing shape, but the metal will bend and the ceramic will shatter.

Learn a little about materials before you try to argue using definitions.
>>
>>7046538

A car is essential to adult life. Riding a bicycle is for the poverty stricken outer borough types around here. The epitome of success is to be DRIVEN in a car by another person. Don't see too many billionaires bicycling to work. Do you?
>>
>>7046556
So the cook gets driven to work in his Maybach?

No. If you live in the 5 boroughs, you spend half your waking hours circling the block every time alternate side parking rules are in effect, occasionally getting into fist fights with your neighbor over who spotted that space first. Then after blood is spilled, you both realize that it was a broken fire hydrant the whole time.

Enjoy your 40 year old chevy.
>>
>>7046563

I purchased a parking space I don't need to worry about parking.

Why can't you afford a car as an adult?
>>
>>7046563

>driven to work in a Maebach

Yes, some restaurateurs make enough money to hire servants. Although a Chef will never be anything more than a servant, most jobs require catering to the needs of others.
>>
>>7046585
Because I spent it all on tips for the FoH staff so they can make more than you just for shaking their tits at me while you slave away in the kitchen getting paid the same as the guy from Michoacan.
>>
>>7046591
Oh wow, Danny Meyer is shitposting on 4chan about his memeknives? Someone tell Pete Wells
>>
File: 186642227754.jpg (274 KB, 561x998) Image search: [Google]
186642227754.jpg
274 KB, 561x998
>>7046598

>having to give money to women for attention
>>
This thread is even worse than the cast iron shitstorms of 2009-10
>>
>>7046603
fuck off
>>
>>7046626
I know you are but what am I?
>>
>>7046498
I have one. it's shit. not very sharp and it sticks to things like a motherfucker because it's so smooth
>>
i just wanted to know if i should try the knife

i didnt expect so much autism
>>
File: thumb.jpg (196 KB, 720x380) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
196 KB, 720x380
>>7046522
>Wut. Never said that. Why are you afraid of change?

>>7046030
>I enjoy mine. The cutting edge is laser precise so it's way sharper than a metal blade.

Ayy lmao
>>
File: 1435143844109.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1435143844109.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>7046550

>It will experience gross failure prior to plastic deformation therefore it's stronger.

Are you really this retarded?
>>
File: newfag.jpg (17 KB, 328x266) Image search: [Google]
newfag.jpg
17 KB, 328x266
>>7046652
>i didnt expect so much autism in a knife thread on /ck/
>>
>>7046441
>mah goal posts! I must move them!
>>
>>7046715

Why are you afraid of change?
>>
File: 348s (4).jpg (33 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
348s (4).jpg
33 KB, 348x348
>>7046727

Stay on topic, friend.
>>
>>7046720
Strength is just a material's resistance to wear, and the ceramic will not wear without breaking. I suppose I don't know the yield stress of zircon, but I'm assuming it's higher than the higher yield point of the carbon steel.
>>
>>7046030
Ok then if they are so hard and better then the rest. Why don't we have tungsten carbide or molybdenum knifes?
>>
>>7046821
Price, weight, ease of sharpening the metals. Ceramics are still going to be harder than metals, generally. They just risk breaking.

Every material has its purpose.
>>
>>7046821
>Why don't we have tungsten carbide or molybdenum knifes?
But we do!

http://www.chefsresource.com/mac-ultimate-chefs-knife-10.html?gclid=CPrNgpe4-sgCFQQKaQodq5MPDg
>>
File: women_laughing33.jpg (56 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
women_laughing33.jpg
56 KB, 460x288
>>7046815

>He doesn't know the difference between strength and wear resistance
>He's trying to lecture people about materials properties.

OK kid
>>
>>7045737

No. Learn how to sharpen and get a decent set of steel kitchen knives. Oh and don't get caught up in worrying about steel type too much, as long as the heat treat is decent, geometry and sharpening skill will dominate steel choice.
>>
Bump for more autism
>>
>>7047434
As far as most are concerned its probably not going to make that much of a difference, however the steel does actually matter quite a lot in how you treat the knife.

Higher carbon = hold sharper edge longer, more brittle, less stain resistant for instance

Stain resistance, and how long wearing the edge is are all important factors in taking care of your knife.
>>
>>7048840

True, I'm just trying to avert the typical knife newbie rush to the highest possible vanadium content when they can't even sharpen carbon steel or VG-10 properly.

Sharpening skills will ultimately make a much bigger difference to how sharp someone's knives are than steel choice, assuming decent heat treats.
>>
>>7048843
>assuming decent heat treats
Is this ever even an issue with mainstream brands using mainstream high end steel like vg10 or whatever?
I'd assume they're all using digitally controlled equipment and following the same heat treat process
I could understand if it's no-name generic steel and some questionable brand from alibaba but the way some people talk it's like you have to worry about the heat treat on your shun which seems ridiculous to me
>>
>>7048861

Mainstream knife brands should be fine, but even then, quite few mainstream brands under harden their knives because its cheaper than an optimal heat treat and because most people can't tell the difference.

Actually Kershaw is notorious for cost rather than performance engineering their heat treats.
>>
My mom has a Kyocera ceramic knife.
She says she is very satisfied but then again she uses it very rarely. She also never lets me use her ceramic knife.
>>
>>7046519
>you're not a real man unless you get a money sink like me :^)
>curiosity means I can harass you about an unrelated subject so I can stroke my e-peen
You are the biggest fucking tool I've seen on this website
>>
>>7048878
When you say "Kershaw" you mean literally just that, though, right? I mean like the outdoor/mallninja folding flipping spring loaded pocket fedora stuff?

I thought there was some connection to shun kitchen knives but I'm a little foggy on the details. Figured it was just a distributor arrangement or something.
>>
>>7048991

OK, having checked around a bit, it seems that most/all the Shun products are made in Japan (unlike Kershaw's China/USA production) and therefore shouldn't be subject to the same cost minimization approach taken to heat treating that Kershaw uses.

Mind you, I would still consider Shun products overpriced for what they are vs many other kitchen knife manufacturers, but that doesn't make them bad, just bad values.
>>
How has this not been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lead_gDb48w
>>
>>7049767
I love the emotion in his voice at 2:55
>>
>>7048967

You cry like a woman.
>>
I got one for 10 bux years ago and still use it for everything that isn't frozen solid or full of bones.
>>
>>7049775
Did a woman reject you, anon? Do you wish you could get back at them all?
>>
So what I got from this thread, is that ceramics are the Macs of the knife world
>>
File: 1403519843318.jpg (602 KB, 4143x956) Image search: [Google]
1403519843318.jpg
602 KB, 4143x956
>>7051110
no, Macs are the Macs of the knife world

Ceramics are the retarded special needs child of the knife world
>>
I like mine. As Plebian as it may be, it cuts decently and the performance is consistent.

It's likely that I'll switch to a nice carbon steel knife once I can afford a proper sharpener and learn how to use it properly.
>>
Get a cheap one, there's no difference between a 10 and 100 bux ceramic knife. Definitely worth it for soft food.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.