[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
every fucking time i cook rice i end up with this shit and it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: burnt-rice1-590x469-2.jpg (53 KB, 590x469) Image search: [Google]
burnt-rice1-590x469-2.jpg
53 KB, 590x469
every fucking time i cook rice i end up with this shit
and it's always a pain to clean, you basically have to scrub like hell and then chip the leftover rice off the corners with your fingernails

is there a way to stop this happening? or at least make it easier to clean?
>>
>>7044770
Rinse it a couple times to get rid of starch and broken rice pieces.

Just bring it to a boil, add the rice and then set your stove to the lowest setting or turn it off.
>>
When the water just starts to simmer, turn it all the way down and don't take off the lid for at least 15 minutes.

Then fluff it, put the lid back on, and let the rice absorb whatever liquid is still in the pot.

I'm not sure what your picture is supposed to be (burnt rice, I assume), but cooking it low and letting it steam wont make clean up an issue.
>>
>>7044770
remove rice, turn on low heat, rice will scorch, now you have scorched rice to make rice soup with or tea with. It comes right off the pan.
>>
>>7044770
you have to rinse rice before you cook it anon. Like really well and you won't have this problem anymore. This will still happen in even non stick pans if you don't rinse it. If you're a fag against rinsing rice for some reason then just fill the pot up w/ hot water immediately after you are done dishing it or whatever and let it sit over night and then you can just pour it into a strainer and pull all the shit off the pot w/ paper towels.
>>
low heat

stir

take off the heat when it's 75% done and put the lid on and walk away
>>
>>7044779
>>7044783
>>7044792
missing the point.com
>>
>>7044792
>low heat
>stir

That's way too hands on for rice.
>>
>>7044794
>make it easier to clean?
>>
>>7044794
The only reason your rice is scorching is too high heat or not enough water. Or both. Just follow the directions on the bag, desu.
>>
When they used to cook rice in earthenware, that crust was a bit of a delicacy.
>>
>>7044802
I bet that's what they told the poor people on the street they fed it to.
>>
>>7044794

>missing the point.com

It seems like the only thing anyone has shown in this thread is that you need to buy a better camera, OP. Or learn how to ask a question.
>>
Stir the rice as it's heating up to a boil to prevent sticking. You could also add a bit of oil I suppose.

If you do wind up with stuck/burnt rice instead of scrubbing, add just enough water to cover the stuck rice and let it soak for awhile. That will loosen it up, then you can throw it outside for animals instead of pouring down your drain.
>>
>>7044770
Everyone that has replied in here has some sound advice, however they are all missing the fact that you stopped using your rice cooked ( you have a patty fan that only comes w/ rice cookers ) and tried using a steel pan w/ no lubricant. be safe.
>>
File: Tah-Dig_Doostiha-IR-5.jpg (103 KB, 620x518) Image search: [Google]
Tah-Dig_Doostiha-IR-5.jpg
103 KB, 620x518
>>7044810
>>7044799
Not when you burn rice without fat
>>
File: Absorbtion Method.png (24 KB, 845x780) Image search: [Google]
Absorbtion Method.png
24 KB, 845x780
>>7044770
your pan is shitty, or you're using too high a heat.

your rice should be bought to the boil, stirred and left on the warm element (which has just been turned off) for 10-15 minutes.

If your rice is sticking somewhere in this process you're fucking it up.

Try an aluminium pot if you're still having trouble.
>>
File: 1435530886526.jpg (67 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
1435530886526.jpg
67 KB, 500x641
>tfw only tried to cook rice once in a pan and fucked it up
>bought a rice cooker

Now I get perfect rice but it's plain as fuck, is it ok if I just put some stuff in the rice cooker as well as the ice to give it some flavor? What should I add to it? I'm not very savvy with cooking.
>>
>is there a way to stop this happening?

Actually yes. It's called 'turning of the heat', a revolutionary new concept that the great physicist Stephen Hawking derived from his work about black holes. 'It kinda fell out of the math' he's been quoted. Gordon Ramsay called it 'A true game changer which most people don't even fully understand yet'. Google it.
>>
>>7045047
You can put whatever flavourings you want in there, it's just a pot.
>>
>>7045053
Okay but what? Please advise anon.
>>
OP if you insist on burning it even though others have told you how not to, just soak the pot overnight and then you can wipe out all the rice with a sponge
>>
>>7045047
Yeah, just look at some pilaf/plov recipes or spanish/portuguese/south american rice dishes for flavour combinations

You can also add chopped onions, garlic or canned or precooked lentils and beans.
>>
>>7045055
Stock, coconut milk, herbs and spices, cured meat, vegetables, that sort of thing.

Just take some stuff that you might include as part of your meal or as a side dish, and put it in the rice cooker instead.
>>
>>7045064
What about raw chicken?
>>
>>7045067
Brown it first
>>
>>7045067
If it's sliced small enough, sure. I don't think it'd taste very interesting though.

Check out "chicken rice" recipes. You brown a whole chicken in a pot with garlic, spring onions and ginger, deglaze with water, then use that water to cook the rice. The chicken you finish cooking by adding some more water and steaming for forty minutes or so.
>>
I dont burn my rice but im lazy n i will leave whats left sometimes to harden. To get it off easy just fill it with water and come back in maybe an hour it pours right out
>>
>>7044839
>>7045056
Do this OP. Soaking is the only good answer.
>>
>>7045061
If you use beans, adn they haven't been cooked enough, they're poisonous.
Not sure how hot a rice cooker actually gets, so I don't know if it will do the job, but this is why you never ever put beans in a slow cooker unless you're sure they're safe.
>>
>>7045047
You can add stock to the pot instead of water to make the rice more flavorful. I like to chop onions and add them. My grandma cuts up giant chunks of sweet potatoes and throws them in and cracks a few eggs on top. I put whole eggs in the steamer basket to get some hard steamed eggs along with my rice.
>>
File: 1423578776271.png (155 KB, 200x343) Image search: [Google]
1423578776271.png
155 KB, 200x343
>2015
>not making your rice in a double boiler

Literally the best method, period. Even a rice cooker is shit by comparison since it's a less versatile tool and will only take up space.
>>
File: lazzytowwn.jpg (30 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
lazzytowwn.jpg
30 KB, 426x240
>>7044770

>buy microwave rice at store
>come home
>put in microwave
>somebody once told me starts playing
>>
Lads, how do I into brown rice, recommended amount of water never works and I end up adding water by pieces and it takes forever.
>>
Take this from another retard that also didn't know how to cook rice.

Do not follow anyones advice, you just need to find out how to do it for yourself.

People on here, and other sights, all had horrible advice. "cook it for 10mins, covered, then you're done" "cook it for 20mins covered on low, then you're done" and all other kinds of shit.

For me, it works best to do this:
1. Get medium pot, I think mine is 8in, might be 10in
2. Get your rice ready and the water ready (1c of rice is 2c of water, 1:2 ratio)
3. Put the water in the pot, with about 1tsp of salt and some pepper if you'd like, let it come to a boil (you can also boil it in a kettle or something if that is faster for you)
4. Put some olive or sesame oil in with the water
5. Before adding the rice, rinse it in water atleast once to get rid of some of the starch and shit
6. Add everything to the pot that you need to
7. Let it come to a boil, then back it down to a simmer
8. Cover and let it cook for 15mins, but do not remove the lid at all; after 15mins, turn the burner off and then let it stand for another 5min
9. Plate up and eat

This is what works best for me; but trust me, it takes a dickload of trial and error to get it to work right.
>>
>>7045178
It does take forever compared to white rice

Cook it on a stove top using the absorption method and water as per instructions on the packet and it should be fine. Just expect it to take longer.

There's some howtos on jewtube if you get stuck
>>
>>7045193
you just took "cook it for x minutes covered on low" and bloated it into nine steps you fucking retard. if you can't figure out cooking rice in under five tries you might be eligible for autism dollars.
>>
>>7045105
That's why you use canned or precooked beans, chickpeas are great too
>>
>>7045047
try adding salt, cunt
>>
Don't listen to all of these retards saying you burnt it, you didn't, and I know what it is you're talking about. It happens to me all the time

Here's what I did to solve it. To start with, never cook "not enough rice". By which I mean, I've noticed that if I try only making one serving or something (like 1/4 cup dry) it sticks like crazy to the pot. But if I add enough rice (like 1 cup), it doesn't happen as bad.

Next, be sure to stir it really well when you first put it in the water. Get a nice whirlpool going. This will keep it off the bottom until the pot loses enough heat to reach that gentle simmer that won't fuse it to the pot.

If you want you can put a little bit of fat in there to help. I prefer to stay away from olive oil because of its strong flavor, but a little bit of clarified butter will help. I've heard of other people using just a splash of apple cider vinegar, like you would when poaching an egg. Haven't tried that yet though

WA LA, perfect rice without the cleanup.

However, I will admit that even this method occasionally fails for some unknown reason and the rice sticks. If all else fails, just soak the pot in some water for like an hour or two and the rice will just pour out.
>>
Damn it /ck/ I see the same threads every day I'm going to just make a difinitive video on how to not be a complete idiot about rice.
>>
>>7045594
Step 1.
Buy parboiled rice

>>
Either too much heat or not enough water.

My rice used to get burnt like that too.

Either fix your water level, lower your heat, or get a different sauce pan.
>>
>>7044770
fill the pot with warm soap water and let it sit for a couple of hours. when you drain it the rice comes right off
>>
>>7045600

Might as well just order a fucking egg roll, have it delivered, and get already cooked rice for the same price.
>>
>>7045193
1:2 ratio is way off rice gets too sticky and/or soggy.
The only rice ratio I seem to enjoy is the 2:3 ratio it gives dry rice with no resting time needed.
>>
>>7047771

>1:2 ratio is way off
>2:3 ratio it gives dry rice with no resting time needed

Is this bait?

At the very least you could have said, "1:1.5 is best", but fluffing the rice and letting it absorb the the remaining moisture (i.e. the resting period) is pretty much always a necessary step when making rice that isn't shit.
>>
asian here, all you silly white people listen up. just stop being a hardass and get a rice cooker. they are cheap as fuck and you never need to pay attention

also, for the bits that cling to the bottom and harden up, DON'T serve rice right after it's cooked. keep the lid on for 30 minutes or longer. don't know how it works but that way the bottom stays soft and you can easily scrape it during serving. of course, that does actually add 30 minutes wait time, so always do your rice first. takes less than 5 minutes anyway. asians cook rice at the start of the day, of course, if you want it warm it's as simple as turning the rice cooker on again for a minute, two max (any more and the bottom gets crunchy) unless it has a "warm" setting. rice cookers vary anyhow so figure it out

you also don't need to wash the pot everyday. every other day is fine. every third day, you'll see molds on the bits of rice left. you might only need to wash it twice a week if you use it everyday since the heat kills everything anyhow.

also important, soak your rice overnight and use fresh water for cooking (or keep it, it's fine but starch). if you want to ferment for other benefits then soak for a whole day. but the important thing is that soaking makes it more plump and less hard (and if you're a hardass still cooking it manually, it shortens cooking time)

and please explain why you use oil. honestly don't know

as for recipes, pretty much anything. turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, garlic, onion, pepper, etc.
>>
>non stick pot
>coat pot with oil
choose one
>>
>>7047961
also, ratios of rice to water just depend on what consistency you want and the type of rice you're using. black and red rice have higher fiber so they need more water or else they get too firm.

and personally i don't mind rice that sticks together. fluffy rice is a pain in the ass to serve since it keeps falling off the spoon. and rice that sticks together you can just break apart, but i see the importance for flavor. however, white rice has to be enriched since the polishing and dehulling reduce vitamin content. so when you rinse rice, you remove the vitamins that were added on to it. this could lead to deficiencies over time if you consume it as a staple (e.g. poorfags). you shouldn't be eating white rice in the first place but i'm not sure if it's cost-effective to buy red or black rice where you are. brown rice is just a meme and only has slightly better nutrition profiles.

on that note, phytic acid (reduces mineral absorption), and toxins present in legal levels such as lead and arsenic, are reduced through bacterial fermentation. you could also make congee (through fermenting) and consume live bacteria that would easily be cheaper than eating yogurt everyday.
>>
>>7044794
the point is you need to learn to cook rice first faggot
>>
>>7047961

>be asian
>everything is considered side dish to rice bowl
>listen to me, i know how to cook rice
>i cook rice every day
>secret to cooking rice is buy rice cooker
>can't cook rice without rice cooker
>here's ten paragraphs on my asian expertise on cooking rice

I'm a white dude who bought myself a neuro fuzzy, but at least I learned how to cook rice in a pot on a stove before deciding a nice rice cooker was an investment worth making.
>>
I truly have no idea why people find rice so fucking difficult. Yeah, you might fuck up on occasion, but you'll usually know why. Too much/too little water, too much/too little heat, whatever. I never found rice difficult at all, and I've made dozens of different kinds of rice.

Not knowing what OP did to fuck it up, my suspicion is he is using the wrong kind of pot and/or doesn't know his pot/stove. You need to use a good heavy-bottomed pot to prevent sticking/burning. Follow the package instructions and you really can't go wrong. When you get the hang of that you can worry about adding more rice/less water, making pegao, or doing special rice preparations.
>>
>>7048072

I learned how to cook rice on a stove when I was 5; probably before I every made myself instant ramen.

A couple decades later I moved into a place that had an electric stove and it fucked everything I'd ever known over.
>>
>>7048080
Same thing happened to me. That didn't just affect my rice, though. It affected everything. But you get used to the electric stove after a while. The thing I hate most about them is that no 2 electric stoves seem to behave the same way.
>>
Don't try rice and eggs in a rice cooker, that shit does not work.
>>
I've tried just a bunch of rice types in my short and lazy life, but I've found this about cooking rice:

-A pot that is to tall and not wide enought will make the rice at the bottom have more rice on top of it, making it press harder against the bottom of the pot and more likely to burn. Once your rice start to dry at the bottom, if you are not fast, it'll stuck to the bottom because it's going to keep drying more and more and it's like oat drying in a pot, so as it shrink for the lose of moisture it's going to adhere to the surface.
-----The kinds of pot that take heat quickly but are not good at retaining it are more likely to burn/dry your rice that is at the bottom.
-----I don't move the rice when it really cooked or else it going to be too dense because you are breaking it. Move it from the sides of the pot, doing smooth motions like twisting a thick spoon in a circular motion to mix it while keeping as intanct as possible.
-----Times varies based on your localization, how cold it is in the kitchen, etc. For me, it's done when it's done.
-----Really tall pots also make it harder for the rice to cook evenly.

-I might rince the rice before cooking but not for the sake of not burning it than it is for the texture I want. More starch, more dense; more veggies that add a shiton of water to the rice are also a factor.

Not all kind of rice are the same, some have more starch than others, shape can also be a factor. The flater the rice, to dense it is the in the pot.

cont
>>
When you have rounder rice, it will have more water between the rice, so less likely to stick.

-Add cold water to your rice while it's cooking if you see that the outside cook too fast in comparison to the center. Specially important when you are cooking rice whit a shiton of starch. The cold water will stop the cooking of the outside of the rice a little bit while the center retain it's heat. You have more control of the texture of the rice this way. Also usefull for beans, soy, whatever.

-Clean shit while it's hot and humid, it will be easier to clean.

-Burn rice can ruin a food. If you don't want oil or anything like that on your rice, it's better to remove the rice that did not get stuck to the pot and cook it in another container to prevent the burn rice to fuck your good rice. You can take this oportunity to clean your pot with dried rice to save time later. You can also leave it with water and do it later.

My pc shut down and can't remember what I was going to say, but I'll repeat that you should not take those numbers as a rule (cooking, proportions, etc); I've cooked rice that would need 1:3 rice:water ratio to not ended up being a mess. Some kinds of rice can expand a lot and absorb a lot of water. I always try to control that kind of rice adding cold water while it's cooking and expanding.

-I don't add too much water because the flavor is different. You can use the water that's left of cooking but the rice will not be the same. If you are willing to rince it
>>
>>7049312
after cooking just because you wanted to add a lot of water to prevent burning/drying, you might as well rince it before cooking it so it's not so dense any more. You will not need to add hot water to your rice while you are rincing it to prevent the rice from cooking inside after taking out of the pot because you would've rinced it before in the first place. Again, the taste of the rice when you are not rincing it it's different the same way it's differnt if you cook it with just enought water or if you use more and then take out the excess.
>>
Seasoning your pot will also make clean up easier.
>>
>>7048060
great job waito piggu
>>
>>7048060
It depends how often you eat rice. If you only eat it once a day for a meal, then yeah you probably don't need a rice cooker.
>>
>>7047991
How the fuck is fermentation going to reduce lead levels. Do the bacteria ship it out of the pot on miniature hot air balloons?
>>
>>7044770
buy a new pot.
>>
>>7045193
>tons of trial and error

and every rice brand have different ratio
>>
>>7047961
asian here

>buying cheapest rice cooker

kill yourself faggot
>>
>>7051434
seconded, also asian

what kind of poor sucker doesn't even own a zojirushi
>>
>>7045193
>Do not follow anyones advice, you just need to find out how to do it for yourself.
absolutely retarded
>>
>>7045047
Chicken broth/stock.
Or whatever you want to put in it.

Add salt etc. etc.
>>
Just make porridge if you're that incompetent.

Here's this super easy recipe
Dump as much water as you can in your pot (6-12 parts of water for every part rice)
Dump some rice in it
Dump some other shit in it to make it tastier if you want
Let it boil for a while 30-60 minutes or so.
>>
>>7044770
Undercook
Remove from heat and let steam ~1/2 hr

the steam cooks the rest of the rice through, while the condensation drips down to the bottom and soaks the stuff stuck on the sides.
>>
>>7045047
there's a japanese woman who wrote a cookbook with non-rice entrees you can make in nothing but a rice cooker.
>>
>>7051446
I'm sorry, I only have a Tiger.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.