[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whenever I have an exceptionally good cappuccino, it is ready
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
Whenever I have an exceptionally good cappuccino, it is ready to drink immediately after serving. Like I can gulp it and it is hot, but not too hot to burn. It is the perfect temperature.

When I have a shitty cappuccino from starbucks or other chain, it is too hot to even sip safely immediately.

What's the deal? How would an experienced (and real) barista explain this?
>>
Starbucks is busy as fuck when you're there, because you go to Starbucks at the same time all the other office workers do.

Independent coffee shops get less business, and spend the time making pretty foam hearts, allowing your coffee to cool down to the exact temperature for consumption.
>>
>>7044198
This is not correct, and you just made that up. It takes actual "baristas" or whatever they call themselves just as long if not less time to make one than starbucks baristas, and they wait no time at all before giving me the drink. Nor does "making the heart" take any time when you know specifically how to pour the milk.

It has something to do with heating the milk to a lower temperature I think, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>7044220

Starbucks doesn't serve real cappuccino. When you order one, they're giving you a latte with less milk, and the same amount of foam.

Cappuccino is mostly foam, so there's less hot milk overall in the mixture to increase the temperature.
>>
in general it really pisses me off when things are served so hot i have to wait a while to eat/drink

yes i realize i'm literally figuratively a 5 year old
>>
>>7044186
>>7044220
>>7044235
Pretty sure Starbucks and McD's cater primarily to drive through-ers who plan to let the coffee sit in the cupholder for a long time before being consumed
>>
>>7044235

You're only a 5 year old if you actually burn your tongue (well, everyone does that now and again).

I obviously prefer my food/drinks to be at the optimal temperatures when I consume them, but it's better to be too hot than not hot enough by the time you settle into it.
>>
>>7044233
sb has americanized and original versions of all classic espresso drinks. just stop being an autist and ask for the verison you want
>>
>>7044233
>Cappuccino is mostly foam, so there's less hot milk overall in the mixture to increase the temperature.

I would understand this as the correct answer if I could just blame the machine.

My situation is this: I go to a very good coffee shop. In the past, the owner and his wife would make the cappuccinos to perfection and were gulpable immediately upon serving. They recently hired a new barista who makes them scalding hot, to the point that I can't drink for awhile. I want to know what she is doing wrong.
>>
>>7044324
she's steaming the milk too fucking long
>>
>>7044328
i guess it really is that simple eh
>>
>>7044340
polite feedback. people aren't born baristas. they become good by making lots and lots of drinks and learning from their mistakes/failures/bad habits pointed out to them.
>>
Whats the difference between Cappucino and latte?
>>
>>7044357
what if people like their coffee hot? rather than try to correct anybody, just specify what you want your shit like. I always ask restaurants to overcook my pizza because I like it that way.
>>
>>7044364

Hot air.
>>
>>7044186
The problem is, customers get shitty when their coffee is drinkable immediately. They want it at like 80 degree's when we're supposed to heat to 70 (And the fact that its illegal to serve anything over 75 where I live.) Heating milk over 70 actually burns the coffee when you pour it, which ruins the ~true~ flavour or some shit. But people want it really fucking hot and baristas at starbucks would rather make it too hot than make it at the proper temperature, have someone complain its lukewarm and then be forced to remake it hotter.

>>7044198
hearts are easy as fuck to make, you pour the milk then at the end moved the jug forward so you drag a line through the white blob: bam, you've got a heart. It's the stupid little leafy bullshits that are difficult.

and it's quicker to make a lukewarm coffee than it is a hot one. It's not cooled at all, all coffee's are poured and served immediately.

>>7044364
Latte has more milk, also the pour is different. I was taught to pour the milk from the original steamer jug into a smaller one, which mixes the milk through the froth again giving it a creamy, less frothy consistency. a Cappuccino is poured directly from the original jug so there's no air knocked out of it, giving it more foam.
on saying all of this, every coffee company has different ways of doing things, YMMV
>>
>>7044324

Generally, a good barista knows better than to steam milk above 68~70°C; anymore than that and you are burning the milk. Specialty coffee cafes or cafes that give a shit about coffee as an enjoyable experience and not just a candied pick me up (ie, not Starbucks) should be steaming milk right, but you're still going to have bad baristas that have some wrong ideas. I'm learning about making coffee right now and trust me, there are so many fucking opinions out there that contradict each other and ideas of what's right and wrong. If someone is steaming milk too hot it probably means they either don't care or they learned that way and know no better.

Most places you can order a nice capp will happily make it how you ask. Heaps of old people ask for hot milk, and some people ask for it warm. Be specific. Who knows? Maybe she'll surprise you and whip out a mill thermometer to get it right. A general rule of thumb: once the milk is steamed, you should be able to hold the jug for 5 seconds before you need to remove your hand.
>>
>>7044364
Ideally a cap is equal parts espresso, steamed milk and steamed foam. Typically it ends up being 2 oz espresso, 5 oz milk/foam in the US. Latte is served in with more steamed milk and topped with 1/4-1/2" of foam.

>They want it at like 80 degree's when we're supposed to heat to 70

Personally I'm a thermometer guy. Yeah, I can either feel or hear it out, but I like to be accurate. If they want to drink it asap, I stop at 150, my standard is 160 and my commercial extra-hot-"skinny"-yoga-pants white ladies is 170, which ruins the milk, non-dairy or otherwise, but that's what they asked for.

>>7044513
A general rule of thumb: once the milk is steamed, you should be able to hold the jug for 5 seconds before you need to remove your hand.

5 seconds seems a bit high. Had I just steamed milk and where to hold the base of the pitcher, I would imagine that within 2-3 seconds, I would want to remove my palm from it.
>>
>>7044366
cappuccino isn't supposed to be scalding hot. it's mostly foam in the first place. if the small amount of steamed milk is hot enough to make the cap undrinkable then you better believe the barista fucked up and scalded the milk
>>
>>7044606
you are right, it should be uncomfortable to hold it after 2 seconds
>>
>>7044301
So what do you order?
>Can I have a classic cappuccino?
>>
>>7044606
That café I worked at had 5 seconds as their rule, which made the coffees drinkable right away and left a comfortable margin to keep anyone from burning the milk. I spoke with some regulars and as much as they loved the coffee, they said it was comparatively cooler than other cafés in the city. If someone asked for their coffee hot, then we steamed until 2 seconds became uncomfortable.

Again, everyone has their own way. We even served long blacks with around 70°C water so they could drink at the same time as a friend who'd ordered a white coffee.
>>
As if you care. If you are ordering a cappuccino you don't even like coffee, you coward.
>>
>>7044186
Yell at the fucking barista over the machine for a fucking doppio throw three fucking fifty in change at him while you dump a fucking brown sugar that motherfucking coffee sink that fucker in one and swagger out of the espresso bar you limpdick cappuccino swilling pussy.
>>
>>7044975
>you can only care about your beverage if you order it in its purest form
>>
>>7045005

you are my brother
>>
>>7044424
It doesn't burn the coffee, it scalds the milk. Do you like scalded milk?

>>7044186
Barista here, I live in a town full of pensioners, you're nothing but Gen Y trash if you don't let your coffee sit for 20 mins while you read your paper before you get half way through.

Understandably, younger people want that coffee fix NOW because they're actually going to be working. As for Starbucks/McDs making it extra hot, it's likely the same reason again.

>>7044233
Almost anytime I served a properly proportioned cappucino when I was working at McCafe people would always return their coffee cups saying it's too light and like I was trying to jew them even though I wouldn't give a fuck how much I wasted during my time there. Less issues at the cafe I work at now though.
Coffee Normies: cappucino = latte with nummy choc topping!

>>7044235
I burn my tongue on 50°C, I understand. Least we may or may not be likely candidates for throat cancer.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.