[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello coo/ck/s! I'm looking for a cheap yet fine chili recipe.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
hello coo/ck/s! I'm looking for a cheap yet fine chili recipe. can you help me?
>>
>>7043199
whatever meat you can afford
beans to stretch it
cumin, chile peppers, oregano, salt
garlic, onions
tomatos
dark beer
>>
Yeah slash your neck and let the blood drip in the pot, it won't taste good but at least you'll die
>>
>>7043203
thanks, this will help
>>7043205
you know, extra virgin blood is better for you. so can I borrow yours?
>>
>>7043199
Adding a slurry of masa harina really helps to not only thicken it up but also lends a nice flavor. If you're going to that, make sure that it's a slurry or it'll clump up and do it about 15 minutes before the chili is done.
>>
File: mystery-dish.jpg (22 KB, 185x300) Image search: [Google]
mystery-dish.jpg
22 KB, 185x300
Wala.
>>
File: wolf-brand-chili-400x400.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
wolf-brand-chili-400x400.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>7043971
> he doesn't know about Wolf Brand
>>
File: 1446638246426.jpg (83 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1446638246426.jpg
83 KB, 460x460
>>7043986
>no beans
>""""""chili""""""
>>
i personally like cincinatti chili. it has cinnamon in it i just spice it up so you get that sweet heat.
>>
>>7043199

>cheap yet fine

The main ingredients are the chilies, so it depends where you live, have access to, and consider cheap.

Throwing a couple jalapenos into crushed tomatoes with meat and spices doesn't make chili. You need actual chilies, and then you balance out the flavor however you want from there.
>>
>>7044022
You're personally a fag, cinnimon, corn, carrots, peas and shit like that does not belong in chili.
>>
File: skyline cheese coneys.jpg (11 KB, 342x202) Image search: [Google]
skyline cheese coneys.jpg
11 KB, 342x202
>>7044039
Being from Ohio, I don't think Cinci chili is anything to write home about but if you haven't had a Skyline cheese coney with their marvelous hot sauce then I pity a nigga. Shame on you fo ignance.
>>
>>7044067
Thanks for your description of "ignance" but I'm from New York, the home of Coney Island and the shit sucks. Eat that shit at your own peril.
>>
>>7044067
You might as well drink water from the ganges while watching shit from food network and taking cock up your ass.
>>
>>7044085
inb4 some Irish Isle, but not the home of the shit hot dogs.
>>
>>7044067
>he's from Ohio
Condolences
>>
>>7044085
Coney Island isn't better. I've had it multiple times. It's a great meme though.
>>
File: IMG_3311.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3311.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7043203
>beans
Pretty sure he asked for chili, not whatever weird recipe you gave him.

900g chuck
1 onion
600g jalapenos
half a bulb of garlic
beef stock
beer
2 cans crushed tomatoes
sweet potato
spices
chili peppers

Brown the meat, take out of pot
Sweat the vegetables in the fat
Add everything in to the pot
Simmer for 4-6 hours or whenever it's at a consistency you like

Cost me $15 to make 4 bowls worth
>>
>>7044668
I didn't know Michael J. Fox browsed /ck/!
>>
>>7044668

>beans don't belong in chili!
>let's throw in some random fucking swear potato!
>>
>>7043199

Can o' kidney beans
Can o' diced tomatoes
Ground beef / turkey
1 onion
habenero's / jalapeno's to taste
Cumin
Chili powder
Salt
Black pepper

Brown the beef, or turkey, and set aside.
Brown the onions and spicy peppers in the fat, or olive oil if using turkey.
Add meat, beans, tomatoes, and enough water to make it kind of soupy, and season to taste.

Simmer and reduce to desired consistency.

Easy as hell.
>>
>>7044034
what do you recommend, I have access to many kinds
>>
File: 1382156209535.jpg (608 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
1382156209535.jpg
608 KB, 667x1000
>>7044034
You know jalapeƱos literally are actual chilli peppers, right senpai?
>>
>>7044700
Beans don't belong in chili though, what's wrong with a sweet potato though? He wants it cheap and potato is one of the cheapest vegetables there is.

>>7044684
I don't get it, I'm not a fa/tv/irgin unlike you seem to be
>>
>>7044740

I don't have a specific recipe, and have 6-7 different dried chilies in my cupboard, but it's 2am and I'm not going to see what I've been using most recently.

The best thing about chili, in my opinion, is that you can try all different flavors of chili peppers, without having to overwhelm your food with heat like hot sauce fags like to do. Just smell, taste, and buy a few different varieties and taste as you go. Adding some fresh towards the end is also a good idea.

>>7044743

I think the point was that if all you are adding to your chili is jalapenos and dry spices you're not really doing it right.

>doing it right being simmering meat with chili peppers, not just adding some jalapenos to your stew
>>
>>7044747

>beans don't belong in chili though

Why did you even continue typing.

Nobody is going to read past there.
>>
>>7044748
>doing it right being

>simmering meat with chili peppers
>adding some jalapenos to your stew

If we assume the stew is being simmered (how else do you make a stew?), there is no difference between either of these statements.

I don't know anyone who just adds jalapeƱos onto a finished chilli, unless it's a topping (like cheese) for some additional 'kick'.
>>
>>7044751
>just uses green text to justify his shitty habit of using beans in chili

nice meme my friend, but this isn't Reddit. You don't belong here.
>>
Not sure why you wouldn't add beans when you're on a budget.

To stretch it further you could use some roasted beef bones or a shank.
>>
>>7044754

I'm pretty sure we're in agreement, anon.

My only point (really) was that you should search out different chili peppers instead of just using a single common thing like jalapenos (which many people do) if you're going to make chili.

>>7044758

>calling someone reddit
>on /ck/

Fuck off to whatever board you've been banned from.
>>
>>7044769
Yeah, but why would you bother. They're cheap and readily available. Admittedly, I'm not a super taster, but the only difference I've found between any two peppers is how much they make my mouth burn.
>>
beans make it a meal goddamn it
otherwise you're just eating a spiced ragu
personally i like a mix of pinto and kidney beans
also, i'll usually dice some bacon and cook it, then brown the beef in the bacon fat, then add the bacon back to the chilli once it's cooking, the smokiness really complements the other flavours
>>
I'm new to /ck/ so it's probably just a meme I'm unaware of but why the fuck is this board so obsessed with chilli?
>>
>>7044791
>cheap ($10 worth of ingredients gets you several meals)
>easy to make, you pretty much just dice some stuff, brown beef and onions, then add tinned tomatoes, beans and stock, and spices
>freezes easily
>delicious
i can't think of another meal like it, maybe sauces you can use for a lot of things, but chilli is a meal itself if you don't wanna eat it with rice or anything
>>
>>7044769
>Redditor mad because no-one will fall for his beans in chili meme

Truly poetic
>>
>>7044784

Super tasters are genetically picky eaters; it's nothing to gloat over.

If you can't tell the difference between different peppers that's on you.

I don't really like very spicy food, but some of the hotter peppers are honestly really flavorful.
>>
>>7043199
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBpEu-mZYrw
>>
>>7044791
It's because of the bonglanders. It's becoming meme over there, but the Americans just like discussing it anyways.
>>
>>7044668
>adds meat when OP doesn't ask for chili con carne
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.