[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Spanish food not given the same recognition that French
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: paella.jpg (330 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
paella.jpg
330 KB, 1600x1200
Why is Spanish food not given the same recognition that French or Italian cuisine is? In my opinion it's the best European cuisine. It combines Mediterranean, Arabic, and Hispanic influences into one. Plus, them and Portugal are the only Eurokeks with a backbone who actually stand up to the new invasion of Europe by muzzies.
>>
>>7042360

First off, among people who know about food Spanish is absolutely considered to be world-class. El Bulli was the best restaurant in the world until it closed. There are many Spanish restaurants in the top 50.

As for the average joe? Probably because it's not very accessible, nor is there a classic work available in English (that I know of, anyway). English translations of classic French works like Careme, Escoffier, etc, have been available for years and years. Yet their equivalents in Spanish, Chinese, Russian, etc, simply aren't available, and thus the understanding of the cuisine suffers.
>>
>all those shells in rice

How the fuck do you eat that?
>>
>>7042373
Pick up the shrimp. Peel the tail and eat the meat. Suck the head. Discard remains. Eat the rice, etc, with knife and fork.
>>
>>7042368
Yeah that's more what I was referring to, the average person. Most people are familiar with at least some French or Italian food, and even Indian and whatnot. Lots of average people in America have never tried Spanish food and just assume it's the same as Latin American food
>>
File: ChickpeasSpinach.jpg (123 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
ChickpeasSpinach.jpg
123 KB, 600x450
>>7042360
>Plus, them and Portugal are the only Eurokeks with a backbone who actually stand up to the new invasion of Europe by muzzies.
That Moorish influence, and the severe reaction against it (pork in everything) is exactly what makes Iberian cuisine god-tier. Eating something so brazenly North African as pic related with a glass of wine and slices of ham is god tier. So are the rice dishes, including black squid ink rice.
>>7042368
>Probably because it's not very accessible, nor is there a classic work available in English (that I know of, anyway).
Elisabeth Luard gave is two valiant efforts in that arena: the Food of Span and Portugal: a Regional Celebration and Classic Spanish Cooking. She was a genius food writer - the British counterpart to Julian Child, who eclipsed her in the States.
>>7042414
>Lots of average people in America have never tried Spanish food and just assume it's the same as Latin American food
That's because in America "Spanish food" for years meant food from any country where Spanish is spoken. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Mexican and Peruvian restaurants were called "Spanish food" a generation ago. The only places in the country where actual Spanish food was known were places where immigrants from Spain settled. You could find it in NYC and Newark, NJ, for example, because there were Spanish immigrants there in the 20th Century.

Also, while Brits casually take holidays in Spain Americans go to Mexico. Spain is a less common destination for Americans, so those who do not live in a place with any real Spanish restaurants are unlikely to know much, if anything, about Spanish food.

(Similarly most Americans don't understand the difference between Italian and Italian-American food, or regional Chinese cuisines vs Chinese-American food. Hell, over the last few decades we've even developed our own style of sushi, which is bearing less and less resemblance to anything you could find in Japan.)
>>
most people here in the UK like spanish food but think it is basically all bar snacks or paella or stewed stuff with chorizo. salty and oily.

it's very well respected in the fine dining world though. madrid fusion and all that.
>>
>>7042585
r u a food blogger cuz I would want to read more of the shit u write
>>
>>7042667
>r u a food blogger
Before I got my shit published I was.
>>
>>7042360
It's without doubt some of the best food in the world, but Spanish cuisine suffers because it lacks the image of fine dining that French or Japanese food possesses

To the average pleb, an amazing Iberian stew will seem less refined than dishes like sashimi or tarte tatin
>>
>>7042770
>it lacks the image of fine dining
Dude. Some of the greatest, most world renowned fine dining establishments are Spanish. Within the fine dining community, it is well regarded as some of the greatest cuisine in the world.

What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>7042705
I agree with him. Could you link your book/articles? I really want to cook more Spanish food. I was in Naval Station Rota for a bit in southern Spain, and fell in love with the food.
>>
>>7042798
You don't need me when Luard is still in print. I just looked on Amazon, and a used copy of Spain and Portugal: a Regional Celebration is going for under a dollar. And if you decide Luard isn't your cup of tea there's always Penelope Casas - she's almost as good.
>>
>>7042793
>look at me i can't read
>>
>>7042585
>That's because in America "Spanish food" for years meant food from any country where Spanish is spoken. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Mexican and Peruvian restaurants were called "Spanish food" a generation ago. The only places in the country where actual Spanish food was known were places where immigrants from Spain settled. You could find it in NYC and Newark, NJ, for example, because there were Spanish immigrants there in the 20th Century.

Kind of ironic, because those are the only areas I've ever been where people call Cuban/Puerto Rican/Dominican food "Spanish food", and I've lived everywhere in the US except the South. I'm not talking senile old WW2 veterans with the name of their battleship embroidered on a hat, I'm talking about 20something and 30somethings who should (you would think) know better.

I moved here in the late 90s and it confused the fuck out of me at first but I've gotten used to it.

Nobody calls Peruvian or Mexican food "Spanish" but lots of people say that for Hispanic Caribbean island food.
>>
File: CocidoMadrileño.jpg (912 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
CocidoMadrileño.jpg
912 KB, 1600x1200
>>7042585
>>7042910
Also don't forget cocido madrileño when we're talking about (unsuccessfully) exterminating all traces of the multicultural al-Andalus

All the Jews who didn't get expelled had to prove how goyish they were by loading up their bland awful Jew food with hunks of pig, turning it wonderful.

It's pretty great in winter.
>>
>>7042910
>I moved here in the late 90s and it confused the fuck out of me at first but I've gotten used to it.
I NYC I think it came from Puerto Ricans (and later Dominicans) taking over most of what was left of the lunch counter business from the 70's until the 90's. Suddenly places that had been pretty much straight up diners were suddenly serving pernil and rice and beans. The owners feared if the sign said "Puerto Rican Food" it would scare white customers away, so the new signs frequently read "Spanish and American Food", even if the place was clearly Caribbean Latino.

My experience has been that white people are still more likely to call a place Puerto Rican or Dominican, but first or second generation Puerto Ricans in New York still call it "Spanish food" in English.

But real Spanish food has been here for a while. Link related:
http://ny.eater.com/2015/1/8/7512299/spanish-restaurants-new-york-new-jersey-sietsema
>>
I've had the most hit or miss experiences with Spanish food to the point where my impression of it as a cuisine is pretty poor. Two of the worst cases of food poisoning I've ever had have been at Spanish restaurants, one of which was in Madrid. I've had paella in Valencia and it was no better than version my parents make at home. It just had less amenities. Tapas are nice, but aren't enough to carry the entire conversation. Anyone have any good examples of classic entrees? I don't want to write off Spanish food as a whole, but I'm getting towards that point. Also wouldn't elBulli be more representative of molecular gastronomy than Spanish?
>>
This thread pleases me. I have nothing to contribute as I have no real experience with Spanish foods other than the knowledge that they produce good tier ham. And now I get to learn about awesome Spanish cuisine. Good thread is good. I wish there was somewhere around my area that made paella. I am too scared I would fuck it up.
>>
>>7042978
>classic entrees
inb4 autismo
>BUT IT MEANS SOMETHING ELSE IN EUROPE ORGANIC FOOD HAS CARBON IT'S SPELLED WHISKEY OUTSIDE OF SCOTLAND WHARRRAERBAWERBARBARGL
>>
>>7042988

please don't derail this thread with your psychosis
>>
>>7042923
Portuguese Cozido is really similar. I think the only difference is that we don't add chickpeas, but cabbage instead
>>
>>7042988
the fuk r u on about m8?
>>
>>7042978
I fukken love Spanish food, but a lot of my love for it comes from the tapas culture and the incredible amount of tasty pork products. Morcilla, chorizo, jamon iberico... shit's amazing.

As for main dishes, most of the stuff I have experience with tends to be pretty simple; roast meat or sausage and some veg. Lots of stews and braised meat. The best octopus I've had was some kinda spanish garlic-y thing.
>>
>http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners

Poor Spaniards, not getting the recognition they deserve.
>>
>>7043088
The average American thinks the Spanish language originated in Mexico.
>>
>>7043088
Yes, because the average American who considers Olive Garden fine dining is well aware of the successes of cutting edge Spanish kitchens
>>
>>7042368
>el bulli

>i watch anthony jewdain
>>
>>7043243
This is not true. But the average American does certainly couldn't find Spain on a map of the world.
>>
>>7043275
Not the guy you're responding to but seriously bro?

Are you one of those morons who thinks tumblr invented communism?
>>
File: 1444871160059.jpg (50 KB, 342x377) Image search: [Google]
1444871160059.jpg
50 KB, 342x377
>>7043277
>talking shit about the "average stupid American"
>does certainly couldn't find Spain
kek
>>
>>7043275
Is your world so small that you assume the only way someone might have heard about one of the most famous restaurants in the world is from one personality on American television?
>>
>>7043275

jesus tap dancing christ. every single person under the age of 30 needs to be forcibly sterilized for the safety of future generations
>>
>>7042360
>although i'm racist as fuck, i just don't feel like visiting /pol/ today
>i think i'll visit a politically neutral board
>whoops
>>
>>7043328
>every single person under the age of 30 needs to be forcibly sterilized
>for the safety of future generations
lol wut
>>
>>7043348
>what is reading comprehension and why don't i have it??

Case in point.
>>
>>7043361
You want to sterilize everyone under 30... for future generations.

Protip: if you sterilize people, there are no "future generations".
>>
>>7043374
People who have babies before 30 tend not to be the most useful or productive members of society
>>
>>7043374
The only way to help them...

is to save them from themselves.
>>
>>7043356
I think it was the ignorance that someone into food enough to post on a food and cooking board would be so ignorant as to assume the only way someone might have heard about one of the most famous restaurants in the world was from a TV food and travel show that triggered him.

But your special kind of ignorance is relevant to this discussion as well. Spanish cuisine was very much shaped by the Moorish conquest, and when the Christians took the Iberian back they did so with a vengeance. Hence the Inquisition.

That's also the reason for tapas, which in its original form was a piece of ham offered on top of a small glass of sherry. How better to root out the Jews and Muslims than by offering a glass of wine with a piece of ham on it as a gesture of hospitality?
>>
>>7043403
Like Mexicans? Those fuckers shit out like 10 kids before then.
>>
>>7043403
How are they going to have them over 30 if they're sterile, dipshit?
>>
>>7043407
>big bad Christians are evil because they tried to make Muslims (who had just spent the past 500 years enslaving Christians and executing them) eat pork!
>They're evil because they took their land back from their conquerers!
Fuckin listen to yourself man. I'm not even the OP, and the OP didn't even imply whatever you're trying to say. you're just a fuckin self-flagellating c.uck t.bh f.am
>>
>>7043415
Try to control your under 30 butthurt, guy who thought El Bulli was famous because of an episode of a cooking show you downloaded
>>
>>7043419
>replying this hard
>>
File: patatas1.jpg (109 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
patatas1.jpg
109 KB, 500x334
I love Spanish food. Last year I got diagnosed with a shrimp allergy and my life just hasn't been the same.
>>
>>7043407
>tapas was invented to root out subhuman moslem filth

I didn't know this
>>
>>7043417
>>7043430
wtf are you talking about? I don't give a fuck about good or evil, nor do I care one bit about religion. If you feel compelled to choose sides when it comes to people fighting about their imaginary friends feel free. I'll very much enjoy they fact that I have to luxury of not doing so.

But conquest is part of history, and it does shape culture, and thus cuisine. And Spain is one of the few places in Europe where you can vividly see the influences of both the cross and the crescent, which makes its cuisine particularly interesting.

But I don't root for one over the other. I think it's all bullshit.
>>
>>7043513
Then what the fuck were you going on about? OP clearly stated in his post that Spanish cuisine combines Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Hispanic elements. He never said it didn't. You're the one that started going on about racism and shit
>>
>>7042360
I think it's because it's very seafood-heavy and a lot of people cannot into seafood.
>>
File: J4LvDKO.jpg (292 KB, 2314x2995) Image search: [Google]
J4LvDKO.jpg
292 KB, 2314x2995
>>7042360
well a big one that people are missing is that Italian chefs and then french chefs developed and perfected the art of cuisine. They are the OG High level chefs.. They developed and explored the art of cookery. It dominated Europe for a long long time. In many ways it still does. It has made a name for itself all over the world and for good reason. Spanish food also tastes very good but your average person isn't going to seek it out for that one special meal they can't really afford. Furthermore there are not many cheap good Spanish restaurants..or Spanish restaurants in general . Also although i really like Spanish food.. comparing it to french food is a bit unfair. Its not a stand out cuisine. Its not as special. I prefer French, Italian, Chinese(south eastern), and Indian cuisine to Spanish.. They all have that x factor that Spanish food doesn't imho. Now keep in mind Spanish food is not to far off on my list but historically it just isn't up there and thus can't yet receive the same recognition.. this may change in the future. And don't even get me started french pastries and wines and cheeses and Italian wines and cheeses. There are so many factors.
>>
>>7043610
>You're the one that started going on about racism and shit
That's what shaped the cuisine. Do you even history?
>>
>>7042978
stay out of obvious tourist traps and you'll be fine
Spanish is about pig in the same way that American is about cow. the seafood is incidental, no matter what anyone tells you.
> classic entrees
not how it works. you either eat a little (tapas, shellfish etc etc) or a lot (some fantastic soups and stews to be had)
>>
because when you say spanish food in the US people think of tacos
and hispanic people are the ones to blame because they will often refer to themselves as spanish.

my favorite part about spanish class is you spend a lot of time learning about south american countries, and effectively zero time learning about spain.
I wonder though, if the spaniards of years gone by knew what would become of their race by mingling with native americans, would they have?
>>
>>7044876
>my favorite part about spanish class is you spend a lot of time learning about south american countries, and effectively zero time learning about spain.
Sorry you didn't go to a good school
>>
you cannot generalise spanish food imo.
Much regional differences.

Food in país vasco is known to be pretty good.
fucking high concentartion of michelin star restaurants in san sebastian, too.
they say it is because of the ingrediences and their microclimate.
i liked it.
they even have a tasty regional beer (Keler) and i am saying this as a german.
>>
>>7043513
It's what happens when you give internet access to people who never studied anything in depth and get gigatriggered by anything that reminds them of their lonely white neckbeard inferiority complex

Welcome to 4chan and enjoy your stay ^_^
>>
>>7042923
>loading up a dish with pork automatically makes it better
You're fucking easy to please, aren't you?
>>
Spain is just a less Mexico :^)
>>
>>7045226
>loading up a dish with pork doesn't automatically make it better
Around moors, lock thy doors
>>
>>7042373
I hate touching food with my hands
>>
>>7045228
Not quite, but having hung out in both Spain and Mexico it's easy to see why Spaniards settled there, because it kinda looks like home. Also explains why Finns settled the UP in Michigan and parts of Wisconsin, the Dutch went for NY and the Germans liked Pennsylvania so much. It seems like folks from the Old World tended to settle in parts of the New that looked similar to home.
>>
>>7045288
kek
>>
File: just_like_home.jpg (88 KB, 960x241) Image search: [Google]
just_like_home.jpg
88 KB, 960x241
>>7045437
>the dutch went to NY because it is completely fucking flat and mostly below sea level
lolwut
>>
>>7047042

Hudson Valleyfag here, yea...it's not flat at all, ears pop going from city to city where I live. Snowfall like a motherfucker.
>>
>>7043403
>wanting autistic offspring
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.