[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go over to parent's house for pasta dinner >pasta
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: do it.jpg (62 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
do it.jpg
62 KB, 500x495
>go over to parent's house for pasta dinner
>pasta tastes mushy and vaguely of fish
>"ayo mom what brand of pasta is this? It's kinda weird"
>"oh it is gluten free, we decided to start eating healthier!"
>mfw
>>
my mom and brother went gluten free too
I told them not to expect me to cater to them if i'm cooking
>>
I'd rather live on salads than gluten free shit. Same goes for water and diet soda.
>>
The best thing is when they slap the gluten free label on shit that's gluten free anyway, like meat or vegetables.
>>
File: 1443103264995.jpg (37 KB, 471x350) Image search: [Google]
1443103264995.jpg
37 KB, 471x350
>>7042343
I unknowingly ordered a sandwich with a gluten free bun and I actually sent it back for tasting off. The waiter had to explain to me that all of their buns were like that

fucking kill me
>>
That's retarded. Just use rice noodles
>>
I ordered a gluten free pizza years ago when it was new because I was on a diet.
Couldn't actually finish it christ it was bad.
>>
gluten free pasta is very weird... i've had to cook it for a friend with chrohns before and the trick is to keep a piece out so you can compare the colour. i think most "shapes" need eight and a half minutes on a rolling boil in salty water

if you cook it like normal pasta it just turns into slime, yeah
also its not healthier for you at all, its still simple carbs

you could educate your parents that there's a better alternative than rice/corn flour pasta?
wholewheat pasta has more iron and vitamins, more fibre and is a little less carb-heavy
(brown pasta also needs 9 minutes on a rolling boil, 'al dente' it might be a bit weird the first few times so if you want to give it the extra minute do- but time it or you'll boil out the goodness)

this is assuming you actually care about pasta and this isnt just a bitching thread?
>>
>>7042359
That just means the food was processed without touching anything with gluten in it, like stainless steel gluten objects or gluten water.
>>
>>7042420
where can I buy some of this gluten water?
>>
>>7042427
Don't buy the premade shit. You can make it yourself at home easily. Just put some wheat bread in a pot of water and boil for about six hours. The gluten will leech out of the bread and into the water, making delicious gluten water. As a side effect, this leaves the bread without any gluten, so you can dry it out and give to a gluten-free family member or something.
>>
>>7042359
On the other hand, since it's relatively common for cheap omelettes to be made with flour in order to make them cheaper and fluffier, "gluten free eggs" are actually a thing that makes sense.

Given the existence of tricks like that, it's not crazy to think you might need to reassure people that yes, your meat is actually gluten free.
>>
>>7042359
>meat is pre-marinaded
>marinade has gluten in it
if you have coeliac disease that'll shred your guts to pieces

GF is a fad diet, yes, but it does help real people with real problems
>>
>>7042490

What kind of marinade contains gluten, anon? That makes no sense at all.
>>
>>7042446
>>7042490
I never thought of this before that actually makes it seem a lot less retart
>>
>>7042490
Friend has legit coeliac sprue.
She says the GF fad actually makes it more difficult for her because a lot of things people claim to be gluten free by way of not actually having wheat among its ingredients are, in fact, still contaminated with gluten by sharing prep space with other things.
For example, any deep-fried food sold anywhere in America will nearly invariably have gluten contamination because it's unlikely that any places other than GF-specific stores or processing plants will have separate fryers and worktops for GF food prep.

>>7042499
Many marinades use soy sauce and many soy sauces contain wheat in addition to soy in its ingredients. In fact, most store-bought, factory-made marinades will have hydrolyzed vegetable protein as an ingredient which is a fancy phrase for "gluten soaked in acid." Or maltose, which is made from barley and wheat, as a cheaper alternative to proper sugar. Store-bought/factory made salad dressings will also have these ingredients.
>>
>>7042499
some vinegars, soy sauce, anything that's been 'thickened'
oh hell, someone started replying and did it much more eloquently

>>7042643
i have food allergies and i just can't eat out with them sometimes. it seems too unfair to expect the whole world to cater to every diet under the sun.

coeliac is fucking brutal, i hope she can afford a rich enough diet to get the vitamins she needs.
>>
>>7042643
doesn't heat denature protein? how can 350 degree oil not denature gluten?
>>
>>7042660
After diagnosis about a decade ago, she went to culinary school specifically to learn to cook for herself because her mum's a lawyer (now judge) and her father's a congressman, so she had zero experience with home cookery. Everything was takeaway or whatever the housekeeper lady made and she never learned from the housekeeper.

So now, she cooks all her own food and only goes out to eat when she can be sure that she can get things without gluten. For example, I went to a diner with her Sunday last and she ordered a steak, baked potato and wilted spinach. The diner already knows her and her allergy, but she asked that the grill be washed down first just to remind them. They don't mind the extra minute. Since spinach is cooked to order (because it takes literally two minutes) in a clean pan and the baked potatoes are wrapped in foil first thing when they start preparation for lunch service, there's little chance of contamination for her ordering this meal.
But she can't eat out on the road, so when she has to travel, she brings her own food rather than inconvenience strangers with her specific requirements.
>>
>>7042685
Beats me. I'm a fucking baker. I'm not the one with coeliac sprue. I love gluten. All I know is what she tells me.
>captcha asks for pics of french fries
>there are no pics of french fries, just two of plates of penne pasta
>select those
>accepts
JUST
>>
>>7042685
all protein will be denatured in your stomach acid regardless

What people are allergic to are certain snippets of gluten created when enzymes from your pancreas cut up the protein structure. "Denaturing" just means loss of tertiary structure, the sequence of amino acids remains the same
>>
File: DehydratedWater.jpg (22 KB, 288x350) Image search: [Google]
DehydratedWater.jpg
22 KB, 288x350
>>7042420
Here
>>
>>7044255
meant for:>>7042427
>>
>vaguely of fish

Nobody else is puzzled by this?
>>
>>7042382
That's how the diet works. The food is so terrible, you don't eat it.
>>
Isn't soba (elda) noodles gluten free?
It tastes superb.

What do you mean gluten free?

Multiple things that can be processed into flour are gluten free. You have to specify the ingredients.
>>
>visiting some friends in the city
>after concert we are all pretty hungry
>"Anon, you HAVE to try this place"
>order some hush puppies with a side of mayo
>these hush puppies taste a little bland
>this mayo tastes way off
>mention it to my friends
>"Oh, didn't we tell you? Everything here is vegan!"
>>
>>7044904
How the hell do you order from a vegan place and not notice? That's like one step away from ordering from a shopping mall chinese joint and not realizing it...

>these eggs are terrible
>wat, egg foo yung, why didn't you tell me???
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.