[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm considering picking up some USDA prime steaks, I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: prime_porterribeye.jpg (56 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
prime_porterribeye.jpg
56 KB, 450x350
I'm considering picking up some USDA prime steaks, I've always only bought whatever was at the local supermarket so probably USDA select?

Is it sacrilege to freeze any uncooked steaks?

It seems like it would be but I am meh tier in the kitchen.
>>
I bet you a billion dollars most steaks you buy at the supermarket came in to the store frozen. Not sure if would matter if you froze it later.

In fact my grandfather used to buy in bulk at the butcher and freeze them up for later use. We never complained.
>>
>>7040753
I dunno proper steak etiquette outside of never going above medium at the highest.

I'm used to cheap pleb steaks which are tasty enough, but I'd like to try a really nice steak for once so I'm going to get some USDA prime.

Gonna broil them and google so I don't fuck em up, I just dunno if freezing some will lower their quality to shit levels?

Going for Ribeye I think
>>
>>7040753
Do you shop in third world? I work meat/seafood in a major grocery chain, almost no beef comes in frozen, like, maybe one in twenty.
>>
>>7040728
I've had the local supermarket cut me up a bunch of steaks and they kept pretty good in the freezer in ol ziplock vags
>>
>>7040768
Nah, but I expected producers/shippers/retailers to cut all possible costs. Frozen would be the cheapest way to accomplish that. Not every grocer is Whole Foods, after all.
>>
>>7040753
And you're not sure if freezing affects quality? I apologize for not reading all of your post, I was driven to a hasty reaction due to your insane amount of wrong. Let me amend that mistake here, freezing almost anything more than once will damage the product, please do not do this.

>>7040728
>>7040764
Bro, Prime is overrated. You're likely not buying select because it's really only used to stew meat these days unless it's the worst grocery store ever. You're probably eating Choice, and that is what you want to be eating. You can freeze, but it will slightly affect quality, and don't do it with prime. Good choice on the broil, but if you want a nice steak, it takes a lot of work. Look up Good Eats, he does a decent dry age process
>>
>>7040728
>>7040753
Sorry for the multiple posts, but my pet peeve is people dropping money on meat without knowing what they're doing. Look up COOL laws, the package must say or the butcher must tell you three major pieces of information.
1) The country the product originated in
2) Whether the product was farm raised or wild (mostly just fish here)
3) Whether the product is frozen or fresh
Ask your local butcher/meat cutters, they'll fill you the fuck in and unless they own the place, they have no reason to upsell you, so they'll likely be honest about what they would use or suggest.
>>
>>7040792
>he does a decent dry age process
Is this really essential?

I've heard of the processes and seen photos but that sounds a bit complex.
>>
>>7040808
Good info
>>
Good choice, a well marbled cut is tops for flavor and amazing when grilled with a hard wood. I like to season it with a rub and then sear both sides to make a good crust before doing a quick broil.

Date tip-try a T-bone and don't skimp on the size, I like thicker cuts in most cases. But remember that the small side of the bone is the fillet mignon and generally reserved for the lady. So get one that's a good size or she'll feel like you're cheap for serving a 4oz cut to her.
>>
>>7040850
I agree that it looks complex and if you fuck up you've just thrown away $10 or whatever that steak cost you.
>>
>>7040778
Whole Foods ships a lot of its meat frozen, regardless of what anyone at the meat counter says.
>>
File: nydone.jpg (2 MB, 2285x1714) Image search: [Google]
nydone.jpg
2 MB, 2285x1714
>>7040728

Yes it would be sacrilege.

Also try to grill it on a nice propane grill if you can. Nothing beats a good USDA prime or better. Pic related.
>>
>>7040863
>not serving your lady huge juicy ribeyes
m8...
>>
>>7041097
>serving women

You live in opposite world
>>
Light salt and pepper and served with creamed spinach and horseradish sauce is how you do it OP. Don't you dare cook it past medium rare. You want to taste the meat when you go high quality, not rubs and spices and shit.
>>
>>7040792
>And you're not sure if freezing affects quality?
only if you get freezer burns from it. And since its fattier, it will be less worse than chicken.
>>
>>7041072
That's painful to look at.
It's burnt on the outside and raw inside.
If that's what a proper steak is then I'm happy to say I've never eaten a proper steak.
>>
>>7041580
>Never tasted it
>Assumes they know how it taste

dumb dumb
>>
>>7041072
I want that in my mouth
>>
>>7041580
>I don't want my meat to look and taste like meat
>poor wittle animals
>>
>>7041733
>>poor wittle animals
Don't put words in my mouth.
I don't like my meat undercooked inside and overcooked outside, thank you.
>>
>>7041839
As if you've ever eaten a beef steak.
>>
>>7041870
Once and it wasn't anything special, I prefer my meat marinated and grilled on skewers.
>>
Freeze it u ruin it
>>
>>7041580
>>7041580
>It's burnt on the outside and raw inside.

That's how it's supposed to be. It's not burnt. It's flavor.

It's not raw, it's rare, which is still cooked. Step up, senpai.
>>
>>7043916
>rare, which is still cooked.

>uncooked/not done cooking:
- blue rare
- rare
- medium rare
- medium well
>cooked/done cooking:
- well done
>>
>>7044626

here is your reply
>>
select < choice < prime
>>
>>7044635
I bet you think that poached eggs are 'cooked' too.
>>
>>7044666

No, but there is a specific temperature where it goes from being raw, to rare. And that is what we call "cooked"
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.