[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooking a steak in a pan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: dsf.jpg (32 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
dsf.jpg
32 KB, 600x337
Just made a ribeye, bone in. Turned out very well but I had to cut it into a few different pieces to cook through how I wanted it.

I don't want to do that again.

So, give your tips:

- how hot is the pan when you drop the steak
- how long do you let the steak sit out in room temp
- how do you test what the inside is like without cutting into the meat

I'm pretty good at cooking in general but I can't get the hang of steaks.
>>
>>7040412
>hot
>a few hours
>make an OK symbol with your finger and thumb. Index finger is medium rare, middle and ring are medium and your little finger is well done
>>
>>7040412
>how hot the pan
Around 450. This is just a guess. It's a very hot, and the oil just starts to smoke
>sit out
If I've got the time I'd do it 90 minutes ahead, then after 90 minutes, start getting everything ready and make it.
>test
I'm not sure if you know this, but the "sear in the juices" kinda thing isn't how steaks work. A nice little single use gadget is an instant read thermometer. They take tiny watch batteries, and you just wipe the end you stuck in something with your soap and it's clean.
>>
Get pan rip roarin hot. Wet hand and splash water into the pan, if the water beads, then the pan is correct temp. Pour olive oil (not virgin) into pan, then immediately add steak.

I cook each side once. Google steak doneness test using the palm of your hand, it works very well.

Add a knob of butter and baste the top while it cooks. Once it's done, dont forget to let it rest.
>>
>>7040412
Just put it in the oven on broil. Cook each side for 5 mins then serve.
>>
File: dfas.jpg (62 KB, 1300x1203) Image search: [Google]
dfas.jpg
62 KB, 1300x1203
>>7040431
I can't figure out what kind OK symbol you're talking about.

Try it. Follow your directions. Where does little finger fit in?
>>
>>7040432
>>7040435
Appreciate it. Will try!

>>7040436
Yeah but that's not cooking. Technically it is, but actually cooking a steak is the goal.
>>
>>7040437
You switch the OK symbol to the other fingers, while measuring the firmness of the meat at the base of your thumb with your other hand.
>>
>>7040437

>>7040443
is close but you feel the toughness with the base of your thumb, and switch out each finger with the index
>>
>>7040443
>>7040448
Oh dang, that's awesome.
>>
>how hot is the pan when you drop the steak
As hot as I can get it

>How long do you let the steak sit out in room temp
Anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours. Depends how far I think ahead

>how do you test what the inside is like without cutting into the meat
Experience. When I was about 16 I started work in a place where I cooked around 50 steaks a night. Did this 3 times a week for at least 2 years. I can mostly judge just by sight and knowing how long a steak has been cooking for.
>>
>>7040453
>I can mostly judge just by sight and knowing how long a steak has been cooking for.
Stop at the word, "cooking." adding, "for" makes you sound like a toddler just learning to talk.
>>
>>7040462
Seems ok to me. Stop reading like a toddler
>>
Salt pepper
Sear each side for 3 mins in a hot skillet
Broil each side 2 mins
Rest 5
Serve
>>
Depends on the thickness, for a "steak", that you want "medium", so beef 0.5" to 0.75" thick, that you want both rare and done, to experience the full range of flavors, your pan should be as hot as it can be, the steak should be at room temperature, about 22°C to 27°C, so left on a room-temperature surface for about 45 minutes minimum, easily three hours, from the time you decide to eat to the time you start cooking, and you don't need to test... It's something you should develop the intuition for. Just make it, and eat it. If it doesn't come out right the first time, the next time you'll get closer to how you want it, and if it comes out right the first time, next time it might not, so you'll need to make it and rock it. No testing, no fucking around, just trying to do it right. Steaks are something you'll eat often in your life, meals are several a day... It's not a school project, a lab experiment, nor a exam... It's cooking a steak. Just make it, and develop the intuition for it. The knowledge and ability you'll gain will be applicable to all sorts of meats after.
>>
>>7040453
Yeah, obviously you had the perfect environment to judge a steak's cookedness. Very cool.
>>
>>7040412
I do mine on the cast iron when I make it on the stovetop

>rest steak at room temp for about 30 mins with salt and pepper
>preheat the pan to high/max
>Drop in a dollop of vegetable oil and heat it until shimmering
>fry up the steak for however long per side you like - I do about 30 seconds for a solid medium rare
>Make sure you let it rest for about 5 minutes after cooking, this will seal in the juices and allow it to finish cooking

I also like to put in some butter and a sprig of rosemary when I flip it the first time and spoon it it over the steak as it sears, shit's cash.
>>
>>7040468
>Being proud of ignorance.

Please don't be from the United States.
>>
>>7040473
I was told pepper in advanced scorches and negatively effects flavor?

And are you saying Sear OR Broil, or BOTH?
>>
>>7040476
>I do about 30 seconds for a solid medium rare
Are you cooking a steak that's only 1/4 inch thick
>>
>>7040474
Cheers. I tend to enjoy recipes that are more straightfoward like that, rather than billions of instructions.
>>
>>7040462
Whatever man. Its 2am. Youre probably correct, but its of very little concern to me right now.

>>7040475
It was a nice way to learn. Fucked up plenty in the beginning, but after a month or so I hardly ever got anything sent back. I guess thats close to 600 steaks though, which I imagine is a few years worth of steak cooking for a home cook.
>>
>>7040479
Rub with salt and pepper
Im saying BOTH
Use a cast iron pan so you can transfer it directly from the oven to the stove
>>
>>7040491
The ambient heat of the pan sounds like it will cause the thing to overcook if included in the broiling. I'm not gonna do that.
>>
>>7040431
they litterayl all feel the fucking same
>>
how do I keep my shit from smoking like a forest fire? even if I use a high temperature oil I keep setting off the smoke detector in my kitchen.
>>
>>7040633
Unplug it
>>
>>7040638
that stops it from going off but it doesn't stop my eyes from watering.
>>
>>7040441
>that's not cooking

wot m8
>>
>>7040501
>ask for advice
>"nah, that doesn't sound right"
>>
It's really the steak, the bone will prevent even cooking temperature within the steak. It's best to sear each side than putting it in the oven to ensure that it's evenly cooked through out.
>>
>>7040633
>doesn't stop my eyes from watering.

Ventilation, you can't prevent the meat from smoking like that but you sure can divert it from watering your eyes.
>>
>>7040477
Please stop breathing. For your own sake. Everyone around you has already had the life sucked out of them long ago.
>>
>>7040450

it's also not true

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
>>
>>7040716
Hmm, they basically go against all the popular steak cooking tips. Off with their heads.
>>
>>7040658
>Ventilation

This. Also, it helps to not have a fucking smoke detector right next to/literally in the kitchen.

I don't know what fucking braintrust planning people decided having a smoke detector like right over a stove would be a good idea, but I want to slap their shit. So many shittily designed houses and apartments have the smoke detectors so close to the kitchen that half the time, just preheating the oven has a tendency to set it off.

I used to live in an apartment with a smoke detector in the hall right next to the kitchen and any time I tried to cook anything over medium heat, that motherfucker would go off. I eventually just got up on a chair and pulled the fucking thing down and yanked the battery out of it because I was so tired of its fuckery. But then the complex maintenance guy was in there to fix something else and saw it and flipped his shit and reported me to the manager and I got a nastygram in the mail about it from them. Fucking assholes.

At any rate, having proper ventilation helps tremendously. And by proper ventilation, I mean actual real ventilation that sucks the smoke up from the stove and sends it outside, not those piece of shit cheap recirculating vents that just suck smoke up from the stove and send it right back into the kitchen.
>>
>>7040742
I don't have a range fan. all I can do is open the front door and the kitchen window.
>>
File: strip.jpg (47 KB, 459x301) Image search: [Google]
strip.jpg
47 KB, 459x301
>Pan as hot as it gets. No color, no flavor.

>Allow steak to rest at room temperature until neutral to the touch (add extra time for extra thick cuts).

>I do the "OK" method too. Unless I'm cooking to medium rare, in which I can just tell from experience

I sear it with only Sea Salt/Kosher salt, on the side I have an herb butter with gatlic, black cracked pepper, Cayenne (smoked if you have it) and Herbs de Province.

This prevents that wonderful seasoning from becoming burnt or bitter that you may otherwise have if added before the sear. Don't worry, they will have plenty of time to soak into the steak.

I watch the color rise up the sides of the steak, if you want more cook, allow the color to rise closer to the middle.

After the one and only flip, I add the butter to the top of the steak. It will slowly melt into the steak, acting as a flavorful baste.

Once it has melted down to the bottom of the pan, I tilt the pan toward me and spoon the juices onto the steak continuously until the steak has reached desired internal temperature.

Allow to rest a little bit on a cutting board (I usually do 10 minutes). It is at this point I pour the juices from the pan onto the steak. This helps to keep the steak fuller and keeps it from losing too much juice in the resting process.

Carve against the grain to even further tenderness. However, not too thin as this will cause the steak to cool too rapidly to enjoy towards the end of the meal.

Uhm... then eat the damn thing. Bring an extra pair of underwear because you may bust a nut.

Cut of Choice > NY Strip (I skipped a step, I render down that strip of fat first for the crispy, yet melt-in-your-mouth buttery steakbacon)
Cooking Medium of Choice > Cast Iron Skillet
>>
>>7040817
I would eat that steak the way you cook it, yep.

I saw Gordon Ramsay do a video on cooking steaks in pan, and he also rendered the fat, but it was his last step.
>>
>>7040827
I saw that video too. Are you certain it was his last step? I guess it wouldn't matter much so as long as everything else was done right.
>>
>>7040835
close to it, if not last. either right after his flip, or before removing it from the pan.
>>
>>7040835
>>7040841
He has two videos. His newer one has him flipping it a couple of times and renders the fat pretty soon.

>One flip video. Renders fat at the end. No garlic or herb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEx9gPhtjzs

>Multiple flip video. Renders fat. Adds garlic and thyme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
>>
>>7040881
It's just fun to watch him cook, eh?
>>
>>7040888
I prefer watching Jacques Pépin, but Ramsay has his charm.
>>
>>7040412
Try to avoid bone-in cuts for pan searing, it's not impossible to do but it's a lot more difficult to get right than something like a NY strip because the bone will usually cause uneven contact with the pan.
>>
>>7040412
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html

just do this
>>
>>7040501
dude, that anon's way of cooking is very reliable

>ambient heat of the pan

Of course it still has heat you retard, broiling doesn't heat only the meat. Your pan is supposed to stay hot in the broiler.
>>
>>7040473
I do something similar

put pan in broiler on high for 20 min
place pan on high heat stove
add room temp seasoned steak to pan
sear for 1:00-1:30 min on each side
place back in broiler for 2 min on each side
remove from pan and rest for 10 min

you can use the fond in the pan to make a sauce while you wait for steak to rest
>>
Offtopic question: Opinions on sugar powder on steak ?
>>
get steak dry
have a powerful burner and a pan that retains heat
flip as much as you want
use a thermometer or just commit to fucking up a few of them before you learn what you're doing
rest it

that's all you need to know, the rest comes down to experience and preference.
>>
>>7041827

sugar on the steak will burn long before the steak browns.
>>
You literally do not need to let it set out at all. It does nothing.
>>
>>7041991

it can dry out/warm up the surface, which is where you're trying to develop the sear.

there's exaggeration on both sides of the argument.
>>
>>7042001
Just put salt on it five minutes before you cook it. That's all that is ever needed.
>>
>>7040412

Use the "pots and pans" setting on your dishwasher when you wash it instead of "Normal Wash."

Keep everything else the same. Bone in steaks need the extra prep time.
>>
Pan should be very hot. I use canola oil and put the steaks in when it starts to smoke, around 400 degrees. Letting your steak sit out is really only needed if you plan on salting it beforehand. The difference in temperature is negligible for the most part. If you presalt either do it 40 minutes before you cook or right before. Anything in between and the moisture that has been expelled won't have the time to be reabsorbed by the steak. Flipping the steak often results in a more evenly cooked interior. 4 minutes a side for a 1" thick steak usually comes out to medium-rare on a high/medium-high heat. I add a minute for every quarter inch of thickness. Just get a damn thermometer. Let your steak rest for 10 minutes, and cut across the grain.
>>
>>7040412
Depending on the thickness of the steak, you have to finish in the oven
>>
>>7042078

It'd be better to reverse sear it.
>>
>>7040412
You're getting a lot of bad and over complicated advice from people in this thread. Anyway, here's what you want

>assuming pic related and you're cooking on cast iron, you want the pan very hot, as in put it under med-high heat and leave it alone for five minutes. Unless you hear an aggressive sizzle when that meat hits the pan, it's not hot enough.
>Does not make a huge difference in small cuts of meat. 20-30 minutes for a one pound steak.
>The touch test that everyone is suggesting is tricky for someone that doesn't know what they're looking for. Defacto way is to use a thermometer. Use a thermometer and guide yourself through the touch test feeling the meat at each stage.

Now here's where this thread is failing you, no one is trying to troubleshoot your issues here. There's a few ways you can have inconsistent temperatures in one cut of meat. First is not having the thing not being the same temperature the whole way through, as in not frozen in the center. I assume this isn't the case. Another would be you're not resting the meat an adequate amount of time. Lastly, it could be your pan giving off uneven heat. Again if you're using cast iron the problem could be you not using enough burner for the pan as iron is a shitty heat conductor.

Only thing that fixes this shit is practice so I'm sorry to say your diagnosis is eat more steak.
>>
>>7042101
Take your fucking fedora off.
>>
>>7040412
>heat up pan till it's hot, i use medium-high setting on my stove
>marinade the steak in some soy or worestshire sauce. Add salt and pepper
>put it on one side for around 4-5 minutes depending on thickness
>flip
>4-5 minutes depending on what the other side looked like
>let that baby sit for like ten minutes on a plate

bam, your steak will be pretty good. Same thing for grill. I found simple seasoning is best for steak.
>>
>>7042229

>marinade the steak in some soy or worestshire sauce.

no
>>
>>7042233
not him but it's good for cheap cuts, helps break down the tendons just a bit and give the grainy meat a bit more flavor
>>
>>7040412
salt pepper to steak

is the steak cold? no fucks given.

preheat oven to 250, lower the better.

get a thermometer jab it in the steak from the side

wait for internal temperature to match your desired doneness

rest for 15min

preheat pan to highest setting. oil or dry? your call.

sear till desired caramelization reached

eat

fucking done.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.