[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make a perfect batch of macaroni and cheese from scratch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Kraft-Dinner.jpg (812 KB, 1240x2362) Image search: [Google]
Kraft-Dinner.jpg
812 KB, 1240x2362
How do I make a perfect batch of macaroni and cheese from scratch? I'm tired of eating boxed processed cancer.
>>
>>7038535
Cook pasta
Put some flour and butter in a pan
Put cooked pasta into pan
Add cheese
Wait to melt, constantly mix
Eat
>>
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add equal amount of flour. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine well. This is your roux

Meanwhile, prepare your macaroni. Any noodle is fine, I personally like using cavatappi for macaroni.

Warm some milk. Use 1 cup of milk per 8 tbsp of roux. Or just eye ball it, whatever works. Slowly add the WARM (not cold, not hot) milk and continue whisking. If the milk is too cold, the roux will seize. After this, add 1 cup (or an equal amount of milk that you used) in the same manner. Bring this mixture to a boil for a minute or two. Then reduce the head to a low simmer, and continue stirring for about 10-15 minutes. This is now your Bechamel sauce. Take a good amount of grated, HIGH quality cheddar, and add to the Bechamel, stirring constantly. Once the cheese is completely dissolved, taste. Adjust seasoning as needed.

Drain the macaroni but DO NOT RINSE. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce, stirring to coat.

Place this in a buttered or greased baking dish/pot or just something that is oven safe. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs. Place in a 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes

WA LA
>>
>>7038551
Shit, sorry.
>After this, add 1 cup (or an equal amount of milk that you used)
Meant to say to add 1 cup of half-n-half or heavy cream
>>
>>7038551
>>7038554
Thanks, b0ss. I will try this tonight. Will all-purpose flour work? Is the baking part necessary? I imagine that just creates a nice crust on the top, right? I'm going to use Conchiglie (Shell) pasta.
>>
>>7038574
All purpose flour will work, yes. It doesn't really contribute much in the way of flavor, it's just a thickening agent. And the baking part isn't necessary but I like it, it gives it a nice crispy crust on the top.
>>
>>7038551
>no mustard powder

baka senpai
>>
File: vomitus.jpg (90 KB, 960x307) Image search: [Google]
vomitus.jpg
90 KB, 960x307
>>7038584
>Mustard (or ketchup) in any form
Spotted the American.
>>
>>7038587
>equating mustard and ketchup

Spotted the Australian. Colman's™
Mustard Powder helps bring out the flavour of the cheese even more, it's not to make it taste like mustard.
>>
>>7038603
Adding a splash of worcestershire and some nutmeg helps balance the cheese flavor as well.
>>
>>7038587
I bet you dump mayo on your food and think you're great.
>>
>>7038587
>not knowing how to make a tasty bechemel w/ mustard powder and worcestershire
pleb detected
>>
>>7038609
>>7038755
I've always used mustard powder but never worcestershire sauce as well. I'll have to try that tomorrow.
>>
>>7038587
Scum detected
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.