[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought a few fresh jalapeno peppers at the store today, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: mammoth-jalapeno-hot-pepper.jpg (209 KB, 1024x1120) Image search: [Google]
mammoth-jalapeno-hot-pepper.jpg
209 KB, 1024x1120
I bought a few fresh jalapeno peppers at the store today, but when I ate one with dinner tonight, it was basically just a tiny green pepper. It wasn't hot at all. Is there any way to tell if my peppers are going to be hot before I eat them? I bought the peppers from safeway, you think I'd get better ones from a Mexican grocery store?
>>
The best ones have little white veins coming from the stem. But yes the Mexican store will have better selection available
>>
the smaller and uglier the pepper is, the hotter it will be
>>
The older wrinklier ones are more spicy.
>>
Before eating them roast them a little bit to bring out the heat
>>
>>7037475
Pretty sure heat destroys capsaicin senpai
>>
Dude every jalapeno is different. Some are mild as fuck other would put a serrano to shame. But usually if one from a bath is nild the others will be too. I don't use jalapenos as anything but garnish because of this. Too inconsistent to be used like a main ingredient.
>>
>>7037486
>But usually if one from a bath is nild
*from a batch is mild
>>
>>7037485
No Little Anonsan, now roast the peppers like Senpai said and prepare your asshole.
>>
>>7037475
I've never heard of that before. I've got 4 left, I'll try roasting them tomorrow morning. Is that something I can do in a frying pan, or am I going to have to use the oven?
>>
>>7037485
NOPE. It definitely does not. That shit fucked up my hands for a night when I roasted my peppers and peeled the skins with my bare hands. I didn't think about the capacine.

FYI get vagacil or denture pain cream to block the pain.
>>
>>7037955
Use the broiler of your oven. You don't have to oil them. Leave them dry.

Don't be afraid to get a good char on them.

I love roasting the peppers.
>>
>>7037972
Thanks.
>>
>>7037969

Or, you know, gloves
>>
>>7037486
>But usually if one from a bath is nild the others will be too

OP shouldn't have bathed his peppers.
>>
File: 9992.png (495 KB, 872x454) Image search: [Google]
9992.png
495 KB, 872x454
>>7037460
Up your game to the thin little Thai red peppers.
They got some good heat without being ass-rapingly painful
>>
>>7037985
Yeah lol I use gloves now. I use thick gloves now. Regular disposable gloves didn't work out so well.

But I'm just saying that if you super fuck up, you can use those things to take care of the pain.
>>
You can usually tell by smell, the hottest peppers smell much stronger while the mellower peppers have a softer, greener scent
>>
>>7037475
This was a great idea. I'm not sure if they were any hotter, but they certainly tasted better.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.